Quantcast

Thread: Sega Genesis Model 2 VA2.3 /w CXA1645 Encoder, New Reset Button, Improved Sound

Road Rasher

Default Sega Genesis Model 2 VA2.3 /w CXA1645 Encoder, New Reset Button, Improved Sound

This is a VA2.3 that I had recently renovated; I fitted it with a CXA1645M (I forgot what the original encoder was, probably another CXA1645M that I swapped for a Fujitsu or CXA1145M for some reason), replaced the reset button with a 'clicky' button taken from an Arduino pushbutton kit, and adjusted the onboard sound to fix the PSG/FM balance problems and excessive low-pass filtering. The caps are all original but they are in good shape from the looks of things.

Only issue (and an extremely minor one at that) is the 315-5685 ASIC, which seems to have an 'off-by-one' error in its Shadow/Highlight register implementation where shadows and highlights are offset one pixel to the right. I have two other 315-5685-based VA2.3s and they both do the same thing, so I think it's a design snafu on Sega/Toshiba's part. Fortunately it causes no other problems that I can see, and all games run beautifully with no problems. (The 315-5786 based VA2.3s don't have this issue as far as I can tell.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27316120885...84.m1558.l2649
    Last edited by Eep386; 04-16-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Hi pal,

I could be interested but still thinking of it. YOur first model still works well hehe

Same here, I may also be interested as well but the "off-by-one" pixel of shadows may bug me unfortunately. I'll have to think about it as well.

Road Rasher

Sold! Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Eep386 View Post
    Sold! Thanks for looking
    Just about when I decided to buy it, it was sold already . I suppose gamer888 beat me to it. I found a Model 2 w/ a Mega Amp on ebay so I went ahead with buying that instead.

That was an interesting VA2.3 you were selling no less Eep386, for a real good price too.

Road Rasher

I'll certainly try to get another, though next time I want to get a VA2 or 315-5786 VA2.3 if I can. (I am *very* persnickety about perfection myself...)

Thread Information