Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: So, Virtua Fighter 3 on Dreamcast was basically arcade perfect?

Dc So, Virtua Fighter 3 on Dreamcast was basically arcade perfect?

I never played the arcade version myself but I've just stumbled upon this video:

It looks almost the same. Somehow, I remember people dismissing the port as not doing justice to the glorious arcade version. Was it some kind of elitism? Or there are really some differences that are not noticeable on the first sight, like botched controls.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

All but, like I always said its an internet myth that it wasn't nearly perfect; That like with no good 3D Sonic game, Working Designs, Capcom, Call Of Duty hate people just copy and paste.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid87 View Post
    I never played the arcade version myself but I've just stumbled upon this video:

It looks almost the same. Somehow, I remember people dismissing the port as not doing justice to the glorious arcade version. Was it some kind of elitism? Or there are really some differences that are not noticeable on the first sight, like botched controls.
    it was utter bullshit. the reason the game got flak in 99 when it was released in the rest of the world was because it didn't look good compared to sonic adventure, soul calibur and pretty much anything released on dreamcast. but that's not because it was a bad port, but simply because virtua fighter 3 on model in the arcades was weak compared to the naomi board on the dreamcast so virtua fighter 3 in the arcade didn't look better and it wasn't a remake either, like soul calibur turned out to be somewhat.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I remember that it was little things about the graphics, like how some people can't handle bits of the floor in the background popping in and out in Virtua Fighter for Saturn. Didn't the DC version take a hit in texture quality as well?

These two versions of VF3 do look different in person though. The imperfections were noticeable to me at the time and I wasn't a fan and didn't spend much time with either version.

Watching both versions emulated by computers from decades in the future isn't a good way to judge.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I remember that it was little things about the graphics, like how some people can't handle bits of the floor in the background popping in and out in Virtua Fighter for Saturn. Didn't the DC version take a hit in texture quality as well?

These two versions of VF3 do look different in person though. The imperfections were noticeable to me at the time and I wasn't a fan and didn't spend much time with either version.

Watching both versions emulated by computers from decades in the future isn't a good way to judge.
    they aren't emulated in the videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I remember that it was little things about the graphics, like how some people can't handle bits of the floor in the background popping in and out in Virtua Fighter for Saturn. Didn't the DC version take a hit in texture quality as well?.
    The floor was a glitch and bug, same for the shadow clitch, hardly because the DC couldn't handle the game. People also moaned at a lack of Vs option in the Japanese version, overlooking thats how the Arcade version played, where the 2nd player needed to press start to enter Vs mode

The game was all but perfect.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    it was utter bullshit. the reason the game got flak in 99 when it was released in the rest of the world was because it didn't look good compared to sonic adventure, soul calibur and pretty much anything released on dreamcast. but that's not because it was a bad port, but simply because virtua fighter 3 on model in the arcades was weak compared to the naomi board on the dreamcast so virtua fighter 3 in the arcade didn't look better and it wasn't a remake either, like soul calibur turned out to be somewhat.
    It's not even the power of the arcade machine (Soul Calibur ran on a souped up PSX and the DC version ended up looking worlds apart); VF3 was a 1996 game. Compared to Soul Calibur and later Tekken Tag (both which stole a lot of gameplay from it), it just looked and played dated. It didn't help that it was the most experimental game in the VF series either.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    It's not even the power of the arcade machine (Soul Calibur ran on a souped up PSX and the DC version ended up looking worlds apart); VF3 was a 1996 game. Compared to Soul Calibur and later Tekken Tag (both which stole a lot of gameplay from it), it just looked and played dated. It didn't help that it was the most experimental game in the VF series either.
    Soul Calibur was a remake, VF 3tb was a simple Arcade port. In 1998 there was nothing to touch VF on any home system and Genki did all that was asked of them and that was to port the game to the home. Iím sure if given the task to remake VF3, they would have like they did for Daytona USA 2001.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    they aren't emulated in the videos.
    How do you know? They typically use emulation and there's no mention of real hardware in the description or the google translation of their large comment about the port.

The translation agrees that the graphics took a hit, but argues that it was still impressive when it came out.

Even their TV screen comparison is emulation:

Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hero of Algol

DC version is by no means arcade perfect and it looks drab and dull compared to the original game.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    DC version is by no means arcade perfect and it looks drab and dull compared to the original game.
    That is simply not true and a complete load of tosh

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Master of Shinobi

Texture quality and certain small details took a hit in the Dreamcast version, but for a launch title I've always thought it was a pretty decent port. It ran at a higher resolution than the arcade version too.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    That is simply not true and a complete load of tosh
    Texture quality, lighting, geometry, animation, etc. Downgraded.

It's "not true" for you since you're a blind fanboy and can't conceive any other perspective.
    Last edited by Barone; 05-02-2018 at 06:07 PM.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I don't think Fighting Vipers 2 was perfect either.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Texture quality, lighting, geometry, animation, etc. Downgraded.

It's "not true" for you since you're a blind fanboy and can't conceive any other perspective.
    Coming from one who's endlessly trying to bash the Snes and cheer on the MD, that's irony at its peak as is liking emu footage of MD and SNES games . It's quite clear it's all but perfect as the footage shows (non emu btw) There's the odd missing detail, but that's it. Every Arcade port back in the day was downgraded (non-Neo) even NA@MI ports, given the DC lack of Ram, but one would be hard pushed to see any difference and the difference with VF3 port is tiny.
    Plus I really don't know where you get better lighting, much less more drab and dull from; given the vibrant and clear image the DC would pump out, Think you should go back and play your DC in VGA and see VF3tb running, The only major stand out diff was the more blocky and low res background plane.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information