Quantcast

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: So, Virtua Fighter 3 on Dreamcast was basically arcade perfect?

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid87 View Post
    I mean, out of more easily obtainable ones...
    I'll settle for just 'obtainable.'

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid87 View Post
    I mean, out of more easily obtainable ones...
    Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    What I mean is: it seems that you need a 24 kHz monitor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I'll settle for just 'obtainable.'
    These should help:
    https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45926
    http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/inde...topic=118240.0
    http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/inde...topic=135428.0
    http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/inde...topic=138291.0
    http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81249.0

Barone and TA ya'll be on here for 8 years I just don't know what else to say

Wasn't the main issue with VF3TB was that it was a rushed port? I'm pretty sure that a running theme with Sega back then was rushing games before they were ready. VF 1 and to a certain extent 2 were rushed out. And we all know how Doom turned out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post

Wasn't the main issue with VF3TB was that it was a rushed port? I'm pretty sure that a running theme with Sega back then was rushing games before they were ready. VF 1 and to a certain extent 2 were rushed out. And we all know how Doom turned out.
    I take it we're on about 32X DOOM being rushed?. Most launch software is rushed out unless you were Nintendo with the Snes, N64 or MS with the OG XBox and while VF3TB was rushed it was still all but perfect.
    Its not like the launch software for the Mega Drive was brilliant, Space Harrier II and Super Thunder blade weren't the best, RR V on the PS2 was hardly a blowing away DC games and in terms of content was a massive step down from RR4, Perfect Dark Zero an utter joke on the 360, Killzone 4 on the PS4 utter tosh, 3DO with Crash and Burn and one of the worst ever was Mega CD launch software of Sol feace and Earnest Evans But that's the price of launch software.. Limited time and making the games on brand new hardware and for most of the time development on incomplete development kits and back in the day, most new Harwdare launches in Japan only ever came with about 3 games, one of which would would hope would at least look and sound a big jump over the Previous gen

If people want to talk of combo systems, then I gather VF on the Saturn is 100% perfect, its also better in the Sound dept for sound effects and music, but I hardly say that means its Arcade perfect. For VF3TB on the DC baring some issues with the odd missing polygons and animation of flags or characters clothing, its all but perfect. I know back in the day people even knocked the lack of the Vs mode in the options screen, but that was the case in the Arcade version. Genki was asked to port the game and they did and its about 97% perfect. The differences are tiny. BTW VF II on the Saturn wasn't rushed at all, it was in development for a year, when most SEGA Arcade ports would get 6 to 8 months.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

The redundant technical discussion ( at this point ) and the fact that the game is not visually on par with the Model 3 version ( which obviously should've been ) helps to cement the misconception that VF3 is inferior to it's competitors at the time, when in fact is the superior 3D fighting game, outclassing both Dead or Alive 2 and Soul Calibur, just to keep things on the Dreamcast arena; it simply lacks that 'wow' factor, the gorgeous presentation ( especially in SC's case ) and a bunch of different modes and unlockables that people seem to like so much ( well, I like them too to an extend, but 'content' is not a factor that makes a game automatically better ).

However, once you get pass that, it's very clear to me that VF3 is the undisputed champion, as it always has been with the VF series. That's why it never needed to resort in adding a huge roster of character, bouncing boobs and panty shots, having story modes etc - as a pure 3D fighting game experience, that's where it is.

NO BUTTON MASHING ALLOWED.

In fact, I find VF3tb to be the most satisfying 3D fighting game to play even to this day - it's the most complex VF game ( the sequels simplified things quite a bit, especially VF5 ), has good deal of balance between it's characters ( a huge improvement over VF2 ) and the E button combined with the uneven arenas ( which aren't simply a gimmick ) adds a special layer of challenge and excitement to the matches, since controlling the 'maai' is a gauntlet in itself.

In that regard, the VF series is the one that has better managed to capture the martial arts 'spirit' ( in a lack of a better term and floating jumps aside hehe ) without losing the appeal of a fighting game.

Fighting and improving your game against the CPU even in the harder difficulties actually makes you feel like you're accomplishing something, using your moves and combos to overcome the ever-adapting AI, instead of just spamming the same moves over and over again.

Also, despite the graphic imperfections that are particular to the DC version, the craftsmanship and artistic excellency of the arenas are very nicely complemented by the the soundtrack, a personal favorite of mine.

This game gets a bad rep in the west for no good reason, other than people that casually played the game and dismissed for the lack of the aforementioned 'wow' factor.
    Soul Calibur 10/10 ? Better than VF3, Third Strike or Garou ? I suppose for people that like to orgasm over teh graphicz...

And yes, I ignored Tekken deliberately.
    Last edited by Bottino; 05-22-2018 at 12:34 PM.

AH BOB SAGET! Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi SegataS's Avatar

EGM or was it Next Gen Magazine that was hyping up the graphics of this game and they sure did look amazing then. Then I saw Soul Calibur lol. I guess VF3 did take a small hit which is interesting when SC looked better than the arcade and better looking than VF3. My blind fanboyism can never not be impressed by Dreamcast games visuals. Maybe it's the Aspergers talking but the crisp colorful visuals just make me smile and only recently some games made by a certain publisher reminded me of those games. SEGA did it again early 7th gen with Rally Revo and VF5. I also don't feel VF3 is as badas people say. I quite enjoyed it.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

I'm a Virtua Fighter fan and can play any game in the series including the first. However, it wasn't until fairly recently that I began to appreciate the series. Did anyone notice that Ryo from Shenmue employes some of the Virtua Fighter moves in the game? I seem to recall him using the palm thrust attack that Akira Yuki does in VF.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeckidy View Post
    I'm a Virtua Fighter fan and can play any game in the series including the first. However, it wasn't until fairly recently that I began to appreciate the series. Did anyone notice that Ryo from Shenmue employes some of the Virtua Fighter moves in the game? I seem to recall him using the palm thrust attack that Akira Yuki does in VF.
    Dude, Shenmue was originally a Virtua Fighter RPG. Ryo was Akira in the Saturn version. It was later that changed it into a new IP. The Virtua Fighter like moves is deliberate.

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Dude, Shenmue was originally a Virtua Fighter RPG. Ryo was Akira in the Saturn version. It was later that changed it into a new IP. The Virtua Fighter like moves is deliberate
    Oh, a Virtua Fighter RPG? The idea that eventually became Virtua Quest on PS2/GC!

I try to forget that game exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeckidy View Post

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Yeah, Shenmue started as Virtua Fighter RPG, we all know.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    Yeah, Shenmue started as Virtua Fighter RPG, we all know.
    Glad I posted the image then.

Thread Information