Quantcast

Thread: Saturn import documentation

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

Default Saturn import documentation

I was wondering if anyone here, particularly those who know some Japanese, are interested in giving some indepth documentation to the more obscure Saturn imports? Not just one line summaries, but explanation of the story and characters, but not exactly full on translations. Just enough to relieve some people's curiosity and spark interest in fan translators attempting to do some work on the better ones, since most of the important MegaDrive titles are now in English, and the Sega CD and Dreamcast list of titles deserving any real effort to be translated is very very small. I would be interested in knowing what games like Pup Breeder and Paneltia Story are actually about and some basic info on how they are played.
    "You do not see the world as it is, you see the world as you are."

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeckidy View Post
    I was wondering if anyone here, particularly those who know some Japanese, are interested in giving some indepth documentation to the more obscure Saturn imports? Not just one line summaries, but explanation of the story and characters, but not exactly full on translations.
    I think this is a great idea, and I'd love to see it. However:

Just enough to relieve some people's curiosity and spark interest in fan translators attempting to do some work on the better ones, since most of the important MegaDrive titles are now in English, and the Sega CD and Dreamcast list of titles deserving any real effort to be translated is very very small.
    I don't mean this unkindly, but you should know that comments about what "deserves" to be translated -- or, especially, what games allegedly don't deserve translation -- are often irritating to fan translators.

Unless you've actually played those games extensively, what criteria are you using to evaluate whether a game "deserves" translation? The graphics? The sound? The type of gameplay? The Japanese-ness of it (which does seem to be a criterion for some folks)?

I've gotten a hell of a lot of enjoyment out of games that many people would say don't deserve to exist, let alone be translated. So I don't trust -- or especially want -- anyone's opinion of what games are best left forgotten. Those opinions also often reflect the speaker's bias toward certain genres (RPGs, platformers) and against others (strategy games, sports games), but not everyone shares those preferences!

It can be helpful to bring overlooked games to wider attention. But keep in mind that pretty much all translations happen because they attract a hacker who's (1) interested in the project and (2) has the technical skill and available time to pull it off. An OK game that's easy to hack is a better choice than a fantastic game that's very difficult to hack, because the gold standard is arriving at an actual, completed project -- not adding another entry to the pile of ambitious, unfinished translations out there.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    I think this is a great idea, and I'd love to see it. However:

I don't mean this unkindly, but you should know that comments about what "deserves" to be translated -- or, especially, what games allegedly don't deserve translation -- are often irritating to fan translators.

Unless you've actually played those games extensively, what criteria are you using to evaluate whether a game "deserves" translation? The graphics? The sound? The type of gameplay? The Japanese-ness of it (which does seem to be a criterion for some folks)?

I've gotten a hell of a lot of enjoyment out of games that many people would say don't deserve to exist, let alone be translated. So I don't trust -- or especially want -- anyone's opinion of what games are best left forgotten. Those opinions also often reflect the speaker's bias toward certain genres (RPGs, platformers) and against others (strategy games, sports games), but not everyone shares those preferences!

It can be helpful to bring overlooked games to wider attention. But keep in mind that pretty much all translations happen because they attract a hacker who's (1) interested in the project and (2) has the technical skill and available time to pull it off. An OK game that's easy to hack is a better choice than a fantastic game that's very difficult to hack, because the gold standard is arriving at an actual, completed project -- not adding another entry to the pile of ambitious, unfinished translations out there.
    I said "Deserving any real effort" meaning games that are nearly unplayable without knowing Japanese. People tend to translate the more text-driven stuff first before they translate the more arcadey titles that have some text here and there, but are mostly playable without knowing what any of it means, and have little story.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I said "Deserving any real effort" meaning games that are nearly unplayable without knowing Japanese. People tend to translate the more text-driven stuff first before they translate the more arcadey titles that have some text here and there, but are mostly playable without knowing what any of it means, and have little story.
    I don't quite follow you, but (as an example) since you mentioned the Mega CD, I'll note that almost all the games that stayed in Japan require a lot of language skills to play:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...-CD-exclusives

There are some intriguing RPGs on that list that I, at least, would love to play in English.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    I don't quite follow you, but (as an example) since you mentioned the Mega CD, I'll note that almost all the games that stayed in Japan require a lot of language skills to play:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...-CD-exclusives

There are some intriguing RPGs on that list that I, at least, would love to play in English.
    Ah, yes. Funky Horror Band is one of them, just because of the theme.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

the sega cd also has a very fun record of lodoss war that follows the anime exactly. because I know the anime I understand what goes on in the game.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

I was always gutted 3X3 never made it over, more so given the voice overs were said to be done by the original cast for the Manga. The laughing salesman was another one that I would love to see a fan translation, that game was sheer madness and really used the hardware to full effect. I have Daihoushinden and its all but unplayable
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Since you (OP) often make posts showing interest in Japanese games, my friendly advice is to learn Japanese. Maybe you've tried, maybe it's too daunting, but it's definitely doable to the extent required to understand game text. If you go all-in with 2-3 hours of intense study per day, I bet you can be there in a year. And just think: you'll have an entire lifetime to play obscure games of your choosing and not have to rely on translators (and ultimately, even the best translation loses something from the original).

There are so many resources available online nowadays for self-study that it really isn't as hard as people make it out to be. Let me know if you need any advice.

The truth is that there just aren't many people with the ability and interest to do what you're asking. It's very time consuming and really requires a passion for old obscure games that not many people will appreciate.

I do understand a good deal of Japanese, it just would be nice if some people would pitch in and help, since there are so many games already. I am working on a translation of the Dyna Brothers manuals for my FAQs and may even help with the fan translation if anyone ever gets around to it.

Thread Information