Quantcast

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Random special effects pics

This screen seems to have both planes in use for the tube effect, the boss, player and HUD are sprites, so how this massive laser gun works without sprite flicker?

Um, it does flicker (it even runs out of sprites to show total, the boss flickers away out of existence in a few frames).

I suppose you mean the laser proper though, so: there's enough sprite bandwidth for a screen width's worth of pixels, so the laser is hogging up the entire sprite bandwidth up for itself and hope you don't notice nothing else can show up in the same area (which is why it's mostly opaque). Even the HUD gets "covered up" by the laser when it shouldn't.

They just got away with it :​D

Master of Shinobi

The laser flickering on/off probably hides the fact that stuff underneath may disappear too, since everything is flickering now, you don't notice that much.

Also consider that when you fire that weapon, the screen forcibly scrolls away. I can think of 3 reasons for that:
    - by scrolling away, it doesn't have to draw the Ranger X sprite itself, possibly saving some time?
    - the player is now forced to keep track of the moving viewport, which significantly reduces the chance of noticing other visual corruptions or oddities, like the HUD being covered
    - it just looks more kick ass that way, as it creates the illusion that the laser cannon is firing forwards instead of just emerging as a beam outwards of you.

So I can't decide whether it scrolls away due to technical considerations, game design considerations, or plain old rule of cool.

Worth noting that the game runs at 30 fps so they may have more time uploading tiles between frames if it comes to that.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

They would have been better off using 8 x 8 pixel sprites for those out ring loops and just slid them apart. Then used a tile layer for the beam.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Maybe it's to try to hide the fact that the laser isn't really coming from your mech? :​P (doesn't really work that well for that, lol)

Other remarks:

• Camera moving forwards means that more objects in front of you will spawn, which in turn will get caught by the blast, meaning the attack will have a larger range.
    • On the opposite end, objects behind you that are too far will also despawn during the attack (which will reset their state).
    • They could be trying to pretend that the camera got caught by the blast and hence is being pushed away ;​P

Probably a mix of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    They would have been better off using 8 x 8 pixel sprites for those out ring loops and just slid them apart. Then used a tile layer for the beam.
    That'd have made the deformation a pain in the ass (and not pixel-level smooth). Moreover, this being a player weapon means that it needs to be usable in just about any situation (don't forget most stages use the second plane for parallax already), so sprites are pretty much the only way to go.

Nameless One

Wish I knew enough SGDK to start remaking some of those sprite scaling games with this trick. I think with the large cart sizes now available games like Hang On, Space Harrier and Out Run could be pulled off. If somebody make Hang On the engine could evolve from there. Just day dreaming.

Nice window effect performed in this curious Sonic 2 hack.

Seeing this, i wonder if more advanced effects like the Mario World keylock would be feasible in Genesis without sacrificing a background layer.

Master of Shinobi

That's not that impressive, it's just a linescroll effect. Sure, it's per-line, but it's nothing we haven't seen before.

which layer is it, though...? since both backgrounds are already shown.

It's all copper-based, written in-between frames like on the amiga cd-32 with a side dish of hilight mode to give the VMU a break.
    On a wave of mutilation

https://minirevver.weebly.com/

You're all utterly wrong. Plane A is all the large chunks of black (yeah, same plane as foreground, it redraws on the fly), sprites are used for the finer parts (i.e. the silhouette).

Sprites disabled:

Plane A disabled:

Amusingly the most impressive part I'd say is rewriting plane A, simply for the fact that it must make the code a goddamn pain in the ass to work with (seriously, there are lots of things that seem "easy" that easily turn into spaghetti code, while on the other hand there are several "clever" tricks are rather simple to implement).

Just a test with paralax scrolling:
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    That's not that impressive, it's just a linescroll effect. Sure, it's per-line, but it's nothing we haven't seen before.

which layer is it, though...? since both backgrounds are already shown.
    Of course, can you appoint any Genesis game with this screen transition like?

I think that comment was on the assumption that it was "just a linescroll effect". That would have been true, if parallax hadn't been involved in the way (i.e. if you could afford to spend an entire scroll layer to the effect). I'd need to go look through the library but I'd be surprised if there aren't any games doing that (possibly hiding the background until the effect is over).

Thread Information