Quantcast

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Random special effects pics

Looks like S/H to me (low priority background + sprites using highlight color, so end result is that background is shadowed except where the lights are).

WCPO Agent

Yeah it's probably just shadow/highlight. What's more interesting is that the headlight is seamlessly rotating. But I guess they just had three circle sprites overlapping in a mickey mouse head shape.

Thanks for taking the time to watch the video clip and provide an explanation guys. The effect looks quite impressive to me, almost like a SNES transparency, gotta wonder why the trick isn't used more often.
    I had my ring penetrated on Takeshi's Castle.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    Yeah it's probably just shadow/highlight. What's more interesting is that the headlight is seamlessly rotating. But I guess they just had three circle sprites overlapping in a mickey mouse head shape.
    Yeah, it's just three sprites.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to watch the video clip and provide an explanation guys. The effect looks quite impressive to me, almost like a SNES transparency, gotta wonder why the trick isn't used more often.
    Because it's tied to layer priority which can make it a pain to manage. It's doable, but it requires planning ahead of time (and in particular, considering to change sprite priority based on location, rather than doing that to the foreground tiles as is the norm).

More details on S/H:
    https://plutiedev.com/shadow-highlight

Very cool effect!

I have no idea how it was done: |

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

I was playing Sol Feace on the Mega CD the other day and still amazed at the software rotation in that game. Its super impressive bit of software coding

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EPSYLON EAGLE View Post
    Very cool effect!

I have no idea how it was done: |
    It's just pushing horizontal lines vertically over each other. That kind of effect is used a lot in PC Engine games. The lighting/shading is just palette adjustments.

The Gunstar Heroes title screen does the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I was playing Sol Feace on the Mega CD the other day and still amazed at the software rotation in that game. Its super impressive bit of software coding
    But the Mega CD can do rotation in hardware…

…though that said, it looks to be the multisprite prerendered rotation stuff from the first post (shameless plug for the Nth time). And then I remembered there's a cartridge version, and yep it does the same thing there too. I suppose the main difference compared to the original examples is that each leg has its own angle rather than the whole thing. But the underlying principle is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    But the Mega CD can do rotation in hardware…
    Yeah, but Sol Feace makes no use of the Hardware and its all software and Sol Feace also came out on the Mega Drive on a standard cart, complete with the software rotation
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

WCPO Agent

I don't think it was mentioned in this thread, but Monster World IV does some clever parallax as well as very fast alternating dither pattern (powered by raster effects) for a transparent fog. But more importantly, it also does scaling at one point:
    https://youtu.be/TVNZt1-J5_M?t=10652
    Check the video at 2:57:32, it's when you enter the sky castle, its graphic scales up. It is most likely done in software, since it gets choppier as the castle becomes larger.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

They really should have done the usual mirrored tiles for the castle (it's mostly symmetrical anyway) since it would have run twice as fast. The unreleased Indiana Jones game pulled off a very convincing Mode-7 effect thanks to that.

This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

WCPO Agent

Wow, why was that unreleased? It looks like it would have given the Super Star Wars SNES games a run for their money (if not totally trash them).

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

It was released for the SNES, so they made their money there (and I like it much more than the star wars games). I think this version wasn't released because the publisher went bankrupt or something.

There are people in this forum with the ROM but they refuse to release it in the ridiculous hope that they can convince Disney to let them do an official release or something. They are very silly.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

I was playing Sampras Tennis 96 on my Mega Drive and I love the line scrolling effect used for the court surface and also for the crowd at the sides of the court. It also features some of the best samples on the Mega Drive too, Also was playing Micky Mouse Castle of Illusion and love the effect when the screen flips vertically (accompanied by a wonderful sound effect) on the Toy Soldiers level and then finally played some Ghost N Ghouls on the MD and I simply love the rain effect and swishing tree's on the 1st level, to me its more impressive and better done, that either the Arcade or PC Eng Super Grafx version
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    It was released for the SNES, so they made their money there (and I like it much more than the star wars games). I think this version wasn't released because the publisher went bankrupt or something.

There are people in this forum with the ROM but they refuse to release it in the ridiculous hope that they can convince Disney to let them do an official release or something. They are very silly.
    OFF: Cry everytime that i remember about this unreleased version of the game and that the factor 5 are trying to release it officially... in 24 years...
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

Thread Information