Quantcast

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Random special effects pics

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yohko16 View Post
    @Sik: I was wondering how they were achieve regardless of the frame rate (that I did say that it was average). The Road Rash games or Skitchin remain impressive as far as 4th gen goes. I mean, the Amiga version couldn't replicate the scaling and there's nothing like this on PC Engine or SNES (well, there's a SNES game with a Road Rash-esque stage at some point but it looks very basic compared to Road Rash MD).

Interesting, thanks.
    Checkout 3rd gen:

Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Yohko16's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peeteris View Post
    Skitchin' is even more impressive because they managed to make surroundings feel more saturated
    True! There are more roadside objects and usually bigger ones as well as these huge road signs which pass over our head

But the frame rate seemed similar to me and it's pretty decent given the amount of things that these games handle.

+ OST is amazing
    Well, the soundtrack in the Road Rash games is amazing too but ye, Skitchin went next level with, if I'm not mistaken, a multi-PCM sound driver and some tunes have wonderful PSG leads.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    There's this at least
    Ye but same as Amiga version, it doesn't have sprites scaling.

But it's still an impressive achievement for a 8-bit console and I think that the music is impressive as well, surely some of the best tunes to come out of the SN76496.

@Black_Tiger: yup, I did!

I wonder how the NES would have fared with this game.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I played the hell out of the Game Gear version of Road Rash. It's hands down the best looking and sounding title of its kind in 8 bits.

OPN2 in DNA Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Peeteris's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yohko16 View Post
    True! There are more roadside objects and usually bigger ones as well as these huge road signs which pass over our head

But the frame rate seemed similar to me and it's pretty decent given the amount of things that these games handle.

Well, the soundtrack in the Road Rash games is amazing too but ye, Skitchin went next level with, if I'm not mistaken, a multi-PCM sound driver and some tunes have wonderful PSG leads.

Ye but same as Amiga version, it doesn't have sprites scaling.

But it's still an impressive achievement for a 8-bit console and I think that the music is impressive as well, surely some of the best tunes to come out of the SN76496.

@Black_Tiger: yup, I did!

I wonder how the NES would have fared with this game.

You are right, mate.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Yohko16's Avatar

@Peeteris: Dustin's real recordings are always welcome! His channel is one of youtube nicest places.

And so Skitchin apparently uses a late EA sound driver which handles multi-PCM and which was also used for FIFA 95 or NBA Live 95. Nice!

And the track "Smog Dog" is the one I was referring to (@46:25 in the video above). Such an amazing tune, that PSG lead is just that, wonderful!

I much care about Psygnosis accomplished this smooth rotation effect.

Real time, animation or another clever trick?

I'm leaning towards animation because every frame I can spot seems to be a multiple of 22.5º angle (that's 1/16 of a circle). That's still more granurality than the usual 45º mind you. And yeah, animation tends to work just fine for things that are constantly spinning (at least as long as they don't spin too slowly). Things that may need to point at specific angles like the car in that racing game video or a weapon trying to aim at you are more problematic.

Also dissecting the split screen in Herzog Zwei:

Red = plane A
    Green = plane B
    Blue = window
    Purple = sprites

I'm not sure if it's using transparent tiles in the window plane to hide plane A in the right side of the screen or if it's manually clearing and drawing tiles at the split point (because that split bar is wide at 32px).

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

I'd love to see someone perform a writeup on how SMS/GG Road Rash's renderer works.

I simply don't understand how it could work so quickly in my head. I've never bothered to bust open the game in some sort of a debugger, however.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    The lens flare is S/H. Also the spinning stuff is sprites peeking through a small gap (reminds me, I should take a pic of how Doom Troopers does the fire in its title screen). And yeah, when the background disappears it places a blank tile and then creates a sprite with the tile that used to be there.
    I thought the lens flare was just a bunch of dithered sprites moving at the right angle, but you are right, they are also using highlight.

I took a check in exodus, it seems like the title screen has the logo text and the circle being transparent, behind it you see a bunch of circles moving around to simulate the rotated lines, and behind those you have plane B empty and just flashing colours to make stuff like the vectorman text shiny. You also have parallelogram sprites moving on the text to give it a metallic shine.

I still don't get how the colours of the background get inverted so smoothly. It looks like all of that plane gets updated, so it's no raster fx nor any palette loop... does it update the tiles on a pixel by pixel basis? That's insane stuff.

The whole title screen is just packed full with so many effects, plus the graphics are stylish and little details like the palette inversion fit perfectly. They partition the graphics so the part inside the circle updates differently than the ones outside, and even put some stuff in the same colour to "hide" them. It's just insane, I can't imagine how they could have designed this animation.

edit: oh, also: the intro that explains the storyline, it has each picture made up of 2 layers to increase the palette count of each picture.

OK, back to this :​v

Due to the way tiles are arranged within a sprite, manipulating the sprite width is effectively chopping the sprite (you may need to also adjust the tile ID depending which side you're chopping). This could be convenient for vertical split screen or other similar effects, since it lets you reuse the sprite graphic as-is with little effort. This doesn't work with the height (since changing it will rearrange the tiles).

The spheres in the last level of Earthworm Jim 2 (20:03 in the video)

Let's dissect it:

Plane B has a few circles that peek through the gaps in plane A. It just scrolls around to animate it, the interesting part of the effect comes from the resulting moire pattern between the gaps and the circles. Nice one there.

I did some tests with line scrolling effect:

VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

Pier Solar has this nice background rotation segment. It's not 60 fps or full screen, but still a nice feature:

New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Hey Sik!

Can you analise this rotational effect in Genny Earnest Evans?

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

If it's prerendered, it would only require frames for a 1/4 rotation of half of it, as the rest could use mirroring of those frames.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Thread Information