Quantcast

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Random special effects pics

It's exactly the same effect from the first post (which is conveniently on Plutiedev now). All of it. Another impressive case is the huge branch that falls in one of the later levels.

Earnest Evans takes things to ridiculous extremes by having the player actually be ragdoll-like (each of the sprites has its own collision). I imagine they believed this would allow for more accurate physics (as well as avoid hell when dealing with slopes and stairs) but in practice it backfired spectacularly. There's a good reason why we aren't that athletic in real life :​P I guess it could be made to work but it's going to need much more detailing to make it easy to control (or avoid stuff like being launched backwards if you happen to get hit while curled inside a tunnel).

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    It's exactly the same effect from the first post (which is conveniently on Plutiedev now). All of it. Another impressive case is the huge branch that falls in one of the later levels.

Earnest Evans takes things to ridiculous extremes by having the player actually be ragdoll-like (each of the sprites has its own collision). I imagine they believed this would allow for more accurate physics (as well as avoid hell when dealing with slopes and stairs) but in practice it backfired spectacularly. There's a good reason why we aren't that athletic in real life :​P I guess it could be made to work but it's going to need much more detailing to make it easy to control (or avoid stuff like being launched backwards if you happen to get hit while curled inside a tunnel).
    That is why I love this game as the ragdoll makes it more hilarious to play. The reason why I love playing Telenet/Wolfteam games is their creative attempts for special effects for the time, for better or worst.

Its a pretty impressive the rotation effect in "smother section" it's demands much cpu time?

Because seems very affordable when looking at it and very rare see it in games.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    Its a pretty impressive the rotation effect in "smother section" it's demands much cpu time?

Because seems very affordable when looking at it and very rare see it in games.
    If I had to guess, I would say the smooth version is a pretty fast effect. Much more than actually rotating something in software. The effect relies mostly on illusion.

The teeth of the gear only need to be moved in a circular motion and have their graphic changed to match. The middle part is totally stationary. It should only be as CPU intensive as any other simple sprite motion and frame animation.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

The whole point of doing it that way is that it's very fast for the CPU to do (you need sines/cosines but that's a look-up table, and if you can get distances between points to be powers of two you can also use bit shifts... or just create yet more tables if not).

The main reason you don't see it used often (besides "I didn't think on it", which is probably the real most common reason) is that you still need sprites for many angles and that can eat up memory pretty quickly, so you need to make sure to account for that ahead of time.

EDIT: also I really should add more examples to that page to show how far you can take it, but I'm too lazy to make more GIFs >_<

From https://plutiedev.com/sonic-title-cards

Note how Sonic and the HUD pop in because they share the palette with the title card. The trick is that the fading is fast enough to make it not obvious (this GIF is slowed down a lot just to show it off).

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Can't believe I never noticed it! They did a great job. The title card serves as a misdirection while the fast fade doesn't give you enough time to notice sonic isn't fading.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Does this count as special effect? Shadow/Hilight isn't all that bad
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oXid16; 10-29-2018 at 05:27 PM.

I put this screen on a French forum, and share it here with you, realize that the two Genesis layers are already in use, which are the waves and the distant sky. What would be the explosions that appear in high and low priority? Stef and Triphon already gave me an idea, but I'll let you dig.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

The HUD, waves and distant sky don't appear to overlap and should all be a single tile layer.

The pixelation is so huge that it can easily all be the same layer, as each giant "pixel" is likely a several single color tiles. The pixelated objects don't seem to move independently, but the animation is so choppy abd fast that moving in increments of one tile at a time would appear somewhat smooth by contrast.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

The HUD is just window plane (it's always there).

But yeah, there's no foreground at all in this level - the sky and sea are both plane B, while the giant sprites are plane A. Incidentally, this is not the only place where those huge blocky sprites show up, the game is very fond of using them for large explosions (which, again, are all on plane A - they overwrite the foreground and have to restore it as they leave the pixels blank…) Note that 1 "pixel" here is actually 1 tile.

This… wasn't really a good use of it. The explosions are noisy and quick so it works for them, but the way it was used in this stage it really looked bad. I'd have at least tried to use different tiles for this case (at least on the octopus) to at least give them a somewhat smooth shape (e.g. sloped tiles, etc.). As I said, there's no foreground in this part, so there shouldn't be much going on in terms of tile usage.

Yep! These blasts are all over the game, they can happen anytime and cover almost the entire screen.

Quote Originally Posted by EPSYLON EAGLE View Post
    Yep! These blasts are all over the game, they can happen anytime and cover almost the entire screen.

Interesting case here, waiting for the tech guys explain it..
    But in this stage the clouds are alone on plane B, On plane A we got the flying ship, So the 2 planes are in use.
    The explosion effects are made with tiles and overlaps both planes

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

The explosions are just high priority tiles (which show on top of low priority sprites) plotted on to plane A and then replaced by the old tiles again. There's nothing special about it but it's a pretty neat effect. The explosions don't even have to be that pixelated either, that's just to fool you into thinking the game is doing some kind of scaling effect.

Cybernator on the SNES does the exact same trick:

This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    The explosions are just high priority tiles (which show on top of low priority sprites) plotted on to plane A and then replaced by the old tiles again. There's nothing special about it but it's a pretty neat effect. The explosions don't even have to be that pixelated either, that's just to fool you into thinking the game is doing some kind of scaling effect.

Cybernator on the SNES does the exact same trick:
    Yes, can see it on image..
    but my questions its complain more about the previous quotes that's was said about entire stage are done in one plane, left empty space to the effect,
    as Eagle show on the image these effects are on entire game.

Whats makes me puzzled is that we usually see it being done with sprites to fake a third layer..
    i was never see it be done so fast and well with tiles,
    also the priorite tile not substract the art bellow.. i think is not too easy so we have see alot more on MD

In cybernator case, Snes has more layers of bkg and they easy can disable and use other for these type of effects..

Thread Information