Quantcast

Thread: Battle Garegga appreciation thread

heart Battle Garegga appreciation thread

First of all, it's the best shooter on Saturn, sorry Radiant Silvergun fans. Ok, I kid, both are great, but Garegga is the one that's LEGENDARY. Second, it's a damn near perfect port. Actually guys from the shmups community say that the port has actually LESS input lag than the original arcade PCB. Can't judge myself since I never played real arcade PCB, only through MAME, which adds even more lag. For me, Garegga is the reason to own Saturn. Even with PS4 version, I think Saturn port is more authentic, 240p and all. I love tate mode when I'm on the mood for 1cc challenge (still didn't achieve, but I'm slowly getting there! Need to learn suiciding and deranking stuff), and for more casual play, either horisontal mode is fine too.

Last, IMO it's too overpriced. As of this writing there are 32 (!) copies on sale at Ebay, including 4 brand new ones, so it seems pretty common. I was hoping it would go lower in price after the PS4 version release but alas, it didn't happen. Still, arcade PCB costs $2000, so buying Saturn version is reasonable.

So, any fellow fans here?

Its the 2nd best shooter on the Saturn, nothing tops SOUKY, Love the game though and the 3rd level is simply incredible. The ports is perfect and show off the Saturn might of unbeatable 2D, for the time.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Master of Shinobi

BG is an okay game but it isn't anything special, it has some flaws, and it is more overrated than Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga put together. Every time someone calls BG legendary, or the best game ever, I feel like it is some kind of forced meme by the shmup community.

Old Sega is where it's at Wildside Expert Mykale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Its the 2nd best shooter on the Saturn, nothing tops SOUKY, Love the game though and the 3rd level is simply incredible. The ports is perfect and show off the Saturn might of unbeatable 2D, for the time.
    Nothing touches Hyper Duel so far. I own Souky and It's definitely an awesome shooter. Once I 1cc Hyper Duel I'll start playing Souky more seriously.

I have yet to play Battle Garegga. I'm hoping for Limited Run games to release a physical and from what I hear they will.

Elemental Master WCPO Agent GameUser-16-32-128's Avatar

$200+ asking prices aren't reasonable. I should've bought it when it was still around the $60-$70 range back in the "Saturn sucks" days of lore. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by gglol View Post
    Nothing touches Hyper Duel so far. I own Souky and It's definitely an awesome shooter. Once I 1cc Hyper Duel I'll start playing Souky more seriously.

I have yet to play Battle Garegga. I'm hoping for Limited Run games to release a physical and from what I hear they will.
    I have Hyper Duel and while its great, its not my fav. Nothing beats Souky for me and I also love Batsugun and Layered Section (the most balanced shooter ever) on the Saturn.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

"It's Battle Garegga appreciation thread" and yet what you got are replies that have very little to do with the topic at hand. How 'bout that?

Yes, it is a remarkable game and I believe that it's easily one the best 'military-themed' STGs around ( both from a game design and audiovisual standpoint ).

If I remember correctly, I could reach stage 4(?) on a credit with Silver Sword(?). It's been a while since I last played it and I don't own a Saturn right now, so perhaps that's not entirely correct. I'm still a novice at this game anyway, so there's that.

Plus, Garegga has one of the most memorable and energetic 1st stage music of any game I've played so far and the Saturn arranged OST is as good as it gets.

My favorite is Wild Snail, especially its Golden Bat variant.
    As for music, original ost > arranged.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post

Plus, Garegga has one of the most memorable and energetic 1st stage music of any game I've played so far and the Saturn arranged OST is as good as it gets.
    The rearranged 3rd level music is the best and its also the best level in the game too and just sounds awesome we being pumped through a Hi-FI Amp - Epic 3rd levels were like a trademark of a RAIZING shooter. Brilliant game and sprite handling showed off the Saturns 2D might, which was always good to see, even EA knew how good and special this games was lol

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Hyper Duel might be the best Saturn shmup

counter of beans Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

I never got to play it, in fact I never searched to find a YT play through on BG either. I also never got to try Souky, incidentally.

The game seemed too expensive by the time I had learned of it. I do love many shmups though. On Saturn I do own Radiant Silvergun and TF 5, both of which I bought at import shops years back. I can't say I play them much anymore though. RS is a fantastic effort, but I kind of prefer the basic vertical shmups like MUSHA , GigaWing, etc.

So what is it about BG that makes it so great, OP?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker waterclaws6's Avatar

Love Battle Garegga on the saturn despite the difficultly being one of hardest on any system and also the insane scoring systems making even harder to master. Also both the arranged and chiptune soundtrack on this version sound really nice.

One greatest EA Published games on the system next to the equally as great Terra Driver. Praise the shooter GODS!!!!!!!

Thread Information