Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtua Fighter questions

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Question Virtua Fighter questions

Just a couple small questions about Virtua Fighter (in general, not necessarily the 32x version).

1. A while ago, I read a nice article (with a photo) about how body-sensors were used to create the character-models, which makes their dimensions as very realistic. Now I can't find it, and the terms seem so general that it's hard to search for. Can anyone find such an article about the body sensors used to create Virtua Fighter?

2. My 32x cables broke so I don't have a copy of Virtua Fighter that I can play at the moment. It's been a while since I played it, but I've been playing Virtua Fighter 2 lately, which has running. I'm trying to remember: Does original Virtua Fighter have running? As far as I remember, it does NOT have running (like VF2), and original VF only has quick leaps back or forward. Can anyone please confirm this? Thanks.

While this is for Virtua Fighter 3, there is this footage of motion capture being done for the game. I'd imagine it was done for the first as well:

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

There is running in the first game.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Just a couple small questions about Virtua Fighter (in general, not necessarily the 32x version).

1. A while ago, I read a nice article (with a photo) about how body-sensors were used to create the character-models, which makes their dimensions as very realistic. Now I can't find it, and the terms seem so general that it's hard to search for. Can anyone find such an article about the body sensors used to create Virtua Fighter?

2. My 32x cables broke so I don't have a copy of Virtua Fighter that I can play at the moment. It's been a while since I played it, but I've been playing Virtua Fighter 2 lately, which has running. I'm trying to remember: Does original Virtua Fighter have running? As far as I remember, it does NOT have running (like VF2), and original VF only has quick leaps back or forward. Can anyone please confirm this? Thanks.
    The 1st game used Softimage's Flock Of Birds motion capture system, but it was always breaking, very limited and so a lot of the game was actually animated by hand. And there is running in the 1st game
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thanks guys,

So I was just forgetting about the running in the 1st game. It obviously was not a move that I used much.

So in VF2, the new part is that running can add power to our attacks, apparently.

Thanks for the video posted. If anyone sees any other vids or articles about those body sensors, please post. It's such an interesting aspect of the series, because it made the characters' proportions and movements realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Thanks guys,

So I was just forgetting about the running in the 1st game. It obviously was not a move that I used much.

So in VF2, the new part is that running can add power to our attacks, apparently.
    In the 32X version, I've seen running used as an attack. There was a match where I was far away from the CPU and it ran towards me then jump kicked me. There was also one time where I was down and the CPU just basically ran over me to end the match . But yeah, I've never used it either, don't even know how to.

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    In the 32X version, I've seen running used as an attack. There was a match where I was far away from the CPU and it ran towards me then jump kicked me. There was also one time where I was down and the CPU just basically ran over me to end the match . But yeah, I've never used it either, don't even know how to.
    Ha yeah I just haven't played VF for a long time, and running was not something I used to do. In VF2 apparently running can add more damage for our attacks, so that's a cool idea, anyway

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

VF is a great game and I do agree that the 32X version looks a bit better than its Saturn counterpart for console ports (i.e.; no clipping). I also love the personality of the flatshaded graphics. I always thought VF Remix did a disservice by adding textures. If I wanted that + all the other options, I'd just play VF2 (which is also great). I'm running the 32X version on RetroPie because I don't have access to any other version of the game at the moment. I had VF2 Arcade on PSN but my PS3 is broken, so this one is keeping me content for the time being. Also, better to get adjusted to VF, since I still have a lot to learn and the first was easier to get the hang of.
    "You do not see the world as it is, you see the world as you are."

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I think Jeffrey does a running clothesline.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

I think it's Wolf that does the running clothesline but yeah. I think Jeffrey does more like a running bodyslam. I always assumed that the running attacks did more damage.

It's too bad nobody plays Virtua Fighter anymore. I love the 32X version but usually have to play it solo.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

The first VF is more of an experiment, testing grounds of sorts. VF2 is the real deal. Amazing game, good Saturn port.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

agreed. after virtua fighter 2 I have no idea how anyone could go back to 1.

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    agreed. after virtua fighter 2 I have no idea how anyone could go back to 1.
    I like the untextured polygon look, like Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing Deluxe, Star Wars and Shadow Squadron on 32X. And it's not like Virtua Fighter 32X plays poorly, it's still great fun.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Id much rather play Virtua Fighter over Remix. It just doesnt feel right playing the original with textures. And yeah, I play VF just as much as VF2.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Bones Justice View Post
    I like the untextured polygon look, like Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing Deluxe, Star Wars and Shadow Squadron on 32X. And it's not like Virtua Fighter 32X plays poorly, it's still great fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Id much rather play Virtua Fighter over Remix. It just doesnt feel right playing the original with textures. And yeah, I play VF just as much as VF2.
    This.

Thread Information