Quantcast

Thread: US Game Gear console box variants

Wildside Expert

Default US Game Gear console box variants

I want to buy an early CIB Game Gear. I want to know more about which box variants came in which order and in which year. To my knowledge the 1st Game Gear to launch in the US was the red box one that came packed with Columns. I think these had flat screens (as opposed to the bubble screen) and were made in 1991 only. The 2nd release was the blue box core set that did NOT come with a game but showed Sonic 1 on the front. I think these were from 1992 or and maybe late 1991. I can't find any information about this on the internet. Does anyone know any more information. Thanks a lot.

I'm not sure about the release dates. The original definately was the one that came with Columns. The next were from 1992 and were:
    - The Core System (shows Sonic on the screen) which comes with no game.
    - "Sonic the Hedgehog Included" which comes with Sonic.

Afterwards there is a Sonic 2 pack and the Super Sonic Sports Pack which comes with a bag, Sonic 2 and The Majors. After that was when the purple caution stripe boxes start.

Ref: https://segaretro.org/Game_Gear_cons..._North_America
    Sega Genesis Master Set Collector
    https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

Wildside Expert

Thanks for the response. I just bought a brand new blue box core system on eBay that doesn't come with a game but has sonic 1 on the front. It should arrive tomorrow and I feel stupid for this but I am going to open it and see how it works. I'll check the serial number. Is it a 91 or 92 manufactured console? Does it have a flat or bubble screen? Do the capacitors really fail without use? Since it's the second American release and it's new I am interested.

I feel like the blue box core system had to have been released before the black and red box version. The blue box one catches the eye more and the fact that it did not include a game is interesting.

Wildside Expert

For anyone interested, here is an update...

Opened it up and it looks beautiful. Obviously new although the back of the gamegear has some scratches from rattling around in the box for 25 years. Upon boot up, I heard a hiss coming from the speaker and no back light came on. The back light finally came on after about 20 seconds. I guess it was warming up. Games work and the sounds is loud and works perfect but the screen has to be viewed at a weird angle to see anything. The serial number starts with 02xxxxxx making it a 92 manufactured console. I assume the only way to get a 1991 console is to get one with the Columns pack in. It also has a bubble screen. I noticed a weird burning smell which I think is from the components being used from the first time.

My conclusion is that caps do die without use. I will be getting it recapped in the coming weeks. Opening a brand new Game Gear brings me back to my 7th birthday. Such nastolgia!

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Nice, that would have been like the longest 20 seconds of my life there waiting for it to actually kick in.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Thread Information