Quantcast

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Retro Game Designer - Make your Genesis/Megadrive game without coding!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Centrale's Avatar

I think it's a worthy project and would like to see it launch. Realistically, no one is going to approach something like this thinking they can make something that pushes the hardware as though they were coding in machine language. This kind of development tool will really appeal to artists who have little or no programming experience. I've already seen some very impressive games come out of an even more limited (yet still quite cool) tool called KiddEd, which allows users to mod Alex Kidd in Miracle World for the SMS. Some of the games are surprisingly different from AKIMW and have very stylish art direction. So a tool like Retro Game Designer is going to offer some huge steps beyond even that cool capability.

Personally I also have professional experience in game development as an artist. I've dabbled in a little bit of coding but I'm never going to invest the time and effort to become as advanced a programmer as I am as an artist. So something like this sounds really exciting and fun as an artist. As an enthusiast for the Genesis/Mega Drive and the other consoles, it's also cool to imagine the homebrew efforts that will come from this, keeping the consoles alive. Will it be more limited than direct programming? Yes, of course. But remember, sometimes very cool things can result from working within limitations, too.

Hard Road! ESWAT Veteran Barone's Avatar

I'd like to point a few things about this project.

First of all, I think it's an interesting one with genuine effort put on it.

However... From MD's library perspective I doubt it would be able to add something that would make a difference or really get a lot of people from the community to play it.
    Because there's too much shit released for the MD already and people in our community are spoiled with dozens of hardware-pushing and genre defining games.
    So, for the MD itself, I see it more as a prototyping tool for artists than anything else. I think very few people would try to use it to test and improve their level design skills but maybe I'm wrong.

Now, if you talk Jaguar and 3DO I can see a lot more interest in something like this.
    Recently the Jaguar has received a lot of Amiga and Atari ST ports, so some of its permanent starvation for games has been addressed to some extent.

On the 3DO there's almost nothing other than a few mini-games and very simple demos. A tool like this would make more sense in that environment IMO; especially since it had pretty much no shooters and very little in terms of 2D platformers. You basically have Gex and the semi-decent Soccer Kid and that's all.
    So, platform-wise, I'd recommend you to have a look on the 3DO as well.

Dreamcast's library does lack a lot in terms of 2D (other than fighting games) so I can also see some game creation-related appeal there.

Finally, your goal amount doesn't look outrageous to me; so I wish you luck.
    While I'm a bit on the fence about this, I'd like to see how it plays out with the affected communities if it gets funded.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

You closed your Kick-starter way, way, way too soon. I think it had a good chance of reached its target goal!

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    You closed your Kick-starter way, way, way too soon. I think it had a good chance of reached its target goal!
    No, see this chart http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/ori...exp-projection
    Like I said, Escape 2042 gained more money in the same amount of time, and yet it failed at 10k
    Retro Game Development -> http://onorisoft.free.fr/ <-
    on Megadrive, Dreamcast, PS1, Gameboy, PC engine, Atari, Jaguar

Orion, don't give up this great project!
    Try to focus on the Mega Drive Development tool for now.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

The Mega Drive tool was the only one I was interested in. Just release this in stages, with smaller kickstarters for each platform, from simplest hardware up to most complex.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    No, see this chart http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/ori...exp-projection
    Like I said, Escape 2042 gained more money in the same amount of time, and yet it failed at 10k
    You didn't push any updates out, I saw very little PR going on... I honestly don't think you pushed this enough it was a good concept it should have made the target! As someone else has pointed out I'd re-sculpted this purely for the Sega Mega Drive.

Thread Information