Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 64

Thread: Retro Game Designer - Make your Genesis/Megadrive game without coding!

  1. #16
    Zebbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Täby, Kingdom of Sweden
    Age
    33
    Posts
    8,765
    Rep Power
    115

    Default

    This is very interesting and I am considering to pledge. I just fear the engines will be very limited, resulting in games which will all feel very same-y when it comes to playstyle. For an adventure game, it's not a big problem as the genre doesn't require unique mechanics to be enjoyable, but for the other genres (especially platformer and shmup) it can lead to very unoriginal games. I may very well be wrong about this, then again the KS page doesn't have that much info. Anyways, I wish the best of luck!

  2. #17
    Outrunner Mad Moham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    543
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    I just fear the engines will be very limited, resulting in games which will all feel very same-y when it comes to playstyle.
    I think you just hit the nail on the head, that's definitely the biggest issue with this kind of product.

    I would like to know who the product is aimed at. Is it supposed to be a fun tool in the same way that Mario Paint is a fun tool for making art and music, or is it meant to be a serious tool that helps speed up game development? Maybe something in between? I like the idea of such a game design tool, and I think its great that its now a possibility.
    I command you to rise from your grave, use steroids and run around in your underwear kicking dogs.

  3. #18
    Gromble of pirates...? Outrunner Bramsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    647
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Will it have scripting so people can expand upon the base engines and customize their games to rid of that same-ness quality?

    One thing that's lacking is explanation of the main $17,749 goal. What I mean is every engine that constitutes actually making a game are all listed as stretch goals. Is the $17,749 just paying for a graphics editor but there's no base engines in there? This sentence for example...

    The Map Designer allowing you to create your tile based maps for the platformer, shoot'em up and RPG game engines.
    \

    ...but all those engines are listed as stretch goals. So are the stretch goals basically a requirement to even be getting anything?
    I'm Pro A'can

  4. #19
    Banned by Administrators Wildside Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Posts
    176
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Definitely no parallax scrolling and shadow/highlight in this one... If it was there they would definitely showed it in the demo. Imma pass

    The problem with this tool is that it aims to let users produce games for multiple platforms at the same time, so the solution will be generic anyway.

  5. #20
    Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Gryson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    444
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bramsworth View Post
    Will it have scripting so people can expand upon the base engines and customize their games to rid of that same-ness quality?

    One thing that's lacking is explanation of the main $17,749 goal. What I mean is every engine that constitutes actually making a game are all listed as stretch goals. Is the $17,749 just paying for a graphics editor but there's no base engines in there? This sentence for example...

    \

    ...but all those engines are listed as stretch goals. So are the stretch goals basically a requirement to even be getting anything?
    The main goal includes the 2D Platformer engine.

    My interpretation of this is that Orion developed a 2D platformer engine for his previous releases, and he's interested in licensing it out to those who want to use it. He's got all of the development tools ready, so no programming is necessary.

    So if you want to see what the engine is capable of, just play his previous releases (although I could be wrong and perhaps the engine is expanded...).

    I'd say this is useful for those who can design art assets but can't program a platformer engine (certainly a difficult task). You can complain that there's no parallax scrolling, but there aren't exactly alternatives available...

  6. #21
    Raging in the Streets Sik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,587
    Rep Power
    52

    Default

    Considering the tool is a WIP, I'd imagine at least basic parallax scrolling will be added later (i.e. a fixed looping image in the background scrolling at a slower speed).

  7. #22
    Banned by Administrators Wildside Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Posts
    176
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    You can complain that there's no parallax scrolling, but there aren't exactly alternatives available...
    So what? Having no alternatives does not change the fact that this product sux(judging by the demo and the demo only the rest is your speculation)

    also I mentioned a ton of other stuff too which u just plain ignored.
    I can't be complaining about something that I don't have in my possession because I don't care. I'm a game studio owner with 7 years in the field, owning a proprietary 3D level editor which is used in production so this is my professional opinion, not a speculation.

    This tool is a hobbyists toy at max, also the UX sucks(i.e. not a consumer friendly product) and I don't care what it will become in the future. I'm judging by the demo, and I urge people not to invest in such a complex stuff to jump start someone else's game dev business. Guy just wants to get paid for developing a tool that will help him make games in the future and he's just giving up a basic version of the actual product.

  8. #23
    Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vancouver
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,233
    Rep Power
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by foxnoodles View Post
    So what? Having no alternatives does not change the fact that this product sux(judging by the demo and the demo only the rest is your speculation)

    also I mentioned a ton of other stuff too which u just plain ignored.
    I can't be complaining about something that I don't have in my possession because I don't care. I'm a game studio owner with 7 years in the field, owning a proprietary 3D level editor which is used in production so this is my professional opinion, not a speculation.

    This tool is a hobbyists toy at max, also the UX sucks(i.e. not a consumer friendly product) and I don't care what it will become in the future. I'm judging by the demo, and I urge people not to invest in such a complex stuff to jump start someone else's game dev business. Guy just wants to get paid for developing a tool that will help him make games in the future and he's just giving up a basic version of the actual product.
    I'd gladly pay 30€ for even just a slide show rom creation tool for Mega Drive.

    How much is the splash screen version of your noob-friendly 3D level editor and which classic consoles that I actually care about does it support?
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

  9. #24
    Banned by Administrators Wildside Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Posts
    176
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I'd gladly pay 30€ for even just a slide show rom creation tool for Mega Drive.
    There's one for free check github.

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    How much is the splash screen version of your noob-friendly 3D level editor and which classic consoles that I actually care about does it support?
    First of Consumers are not noobs as a given; Secondly NOT supporting the system u care about doesn't change the fact that this tool sucks the way it is now and there are no promises of it becoming better during the development time(no roadmap/plan). Stop jumping from one subject to another. The argument here is that this tool sucks, also developer was going to develop it anyway(because hes going to make games) he just decided to make money out of it(based on logic and general facts about the dev). Again u ignored this part. I'm not here to join u in a demagogic style of arguing you started this by pointing me out about "complaining" and...
    ...If you wanna waste your money just to be able to make a generic platformer Go ahead and pledge but stop telling me that this is good piece of software just because it has no alternatives.You have no argument that fits into common sense, You're okay with having something that makes slideshows.

    I'm done with this topic. Next.

  10. #25
    Death Adder's minion Orion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    France
    Age
    33
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by foxnoodles View Post
    also developer was going to develop it anyway(because hes going to make games) he just decided to make money out of it
    I don't know where you got this information from, but it's just false, I'm the developer, I already made lots of games, without any tools like this one, and I'm not planing to make more games in the futur, I just want to reuse my knowledge and game engines I already made to create a tool so that people who don't have programming knowledge can create their games too.
    You just can't compare game maker and my tool, game maker is a general purpose development tool, but it require programming if you want to make something original.
    If you want to make something original, you can already use Basic language on Megadrive/Genesis for example, or just C language and SGDK, but it require lot of knowledge that non programmer can have difficulties learning.

    If someone would want a tool that could really use each platform to it's full potential, that would be 3 or 4 years of development for a hundred thousand of dollars kickstarter goal, just unrealistic
    Retro Game Development -> http://onorisoft.free.fr/ <-
    on Megadrive, Dreamcast, PS1, Gameboy, PC engine, Atari, Jaguar

  11. #26
    Banned by Administrators Wildside Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Posts
    176
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I already made lots of games, without any tools like this one, and I'm not planing to make more games in the future

    Right, that makes sense, I guess?

    You just can't compare game maker and my tool, game maker is a general purpose development tool, but it require programming if you want to make something original.

    I never did.

    If someone would want a tool that could really use each platform to it's full potential, that would be 3 or 4 years of development for a hundred thousand of dollars kickstarter goal, just unrealistic

    Generic retro game making tool confirmed. Thank you, that's all I was saying actually. It would take even more than 3-4 years if u ask me.

  12. #27
    16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    UK
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,073
    Rep Power
    54

    Default

    I've thrown in a pledge at 30. I'm hoping the editor tools can be used to export things to PNG?

  13. #28
    Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Gryson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    444
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by foxnoodles View Post
    I already made lots of games, without any tools like this one, and I'm not planing to make more games in the future

    Right, that makes sense, I guess?

    You just can't compare game maker and my tool, game maker is a general purpose development tool, but it require programming if you want to make something original.

    I never did.

    If someone would want a tool that could really use each platform to it's full potential, that would be 3 or 4 years of development for a hundred thousand of dollars kickstarter goal, just unrealistic

    Generic retro game making tool confirmed. Thank you, that's all I was saying actually. It would take even more than 3-4 years if u ask me.
    Do you mind linking to some of the games that you have developed? I'm curious to see how a professional does it. Thanks.

  14. #29
    Banned by Administrators Wildside Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Posts
    176
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I'm not gonna expose anything particular about my work, this is just not serious and you're not a person(obviously) to judge how the professional software products look/work.
    Again all that doesn't just magically erase the logic that's behind my previous posts) This is getting ridiculous and childish. Prove your point with logic or just move on.

    p.s. We will go public with our new side project soon and you'll have all of the info about our "noob-friendly" editor by that time ) with screenshots gifs and all those goodies. But this does't prove nor deny my point anyway )

    p.p.s. Edited the post, for some reason I thought I was replying to Black Tiger so I just removed that part with the Slideshow maker

  15. #30
    Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Gryson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    444
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Usually game developers want to advertise their work. I just thought you'd like to take the opportunity to show some of it off.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •