Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retro Game Designer - Make your Genesis/Megadrive game without coding!

This is very interesting and I am considering to pledge. I just fear the engines will be very limited, resulting in games which will all feel very same-y when it comes to playstyle. For an adventure game, it's not a big problem as the genre doesn't require unique mechanics to be enjoyable, but for the other genres (especially platformer and shmup) it can lead to very unoriginal games. I may very well be wrong about this, then again the KS page doesn't have that much info. Anyways, I wish the best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    I just fear the engines will be very limited, resulting in games which will all feel very same-y when it comes to playstyle.
    I think you just hit the nail on the head, that's definitely the biggest issue with this kind of product.

I would like to know who the product is aimed at. Is it supposed to be a fun tool in the same way that Mario Paint is a fun tool for making art and music, or is it meant to be a serious tool that helps speed up game development? Maybe something in between? I like the idea of such a game design tool, and I think its great that its now a possibility.
    I command you to rise from your grave, use steroids and run around in your underwear kicking dogs.

Gromble of pirates...? Outrunner Bramsworth's Avatar

Will it have scripting so people can expand upon the base engines and customize their games to rid of that same-ness quality?

One thing that's lacking is explanation of the main $17,749 goal. What I mean is every engine that constitutes actually making a game are all listed as stretch goals. Is the $17,749 just paying for a graphics editor but there's no base engines in there? This sentence for example...

The Map Designer allowing you to create your tile based maps for the platformer, shoot'em up and RPG game engines.
    \

...but all those engines are listed as stretch goals. So are the stretch goals basically a requirement to even be getting anything?
    I'm Pro A'can

Banned by Administrators Wildside Expert

Definitely no parallax scrolling and shadow/highlight in this one... If it was there they would definitely showed it in the demo. Imma pass

The problem with this tool is that it aims to let users produce games for multiple platforms at the same time, so the solution will be generic anyway.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bramsworth View Post
    Will it have scripting so people can expand upon the base engines and customize their games to rid of that same-ness quality?

One thing that's lacking is explanation of the main $17,749 goal. What I mean is every engine that constitutes actually making a game are all listed as stretch goals. Is the $17,749 just paying for a graphics editor but there's no base engines in there? This sentence for example...

\

...but all those engines are listed as stretch goals. So are the stretch goals basically a requirement to even be getting anything?
    The main goal includes the 2D Platformer engine.

My interpretation of this is that Orion developed a 2D platformer engine for his previous releases, and he's interested in licensing it out to those who want to use it. He's got all of the development tools ready, so no programming is necessary.

So if you want to see what the engine is capable of, just play his previous releases (although I could be wrong and perhaps the engine is expanded...).

I'd say this is useful for those who can design art assets but can't program a platformer engine (certainly a difficult task). You can complain that there's no parallax scrolling, but there aren't exactly alternatives available...

Considering the tool is a WIP, I'd imagine at least basic parallax scrolling will be added later (i.e. a fixed looping image in the background scrolling at a slower speed).

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    You can complain that there's no parallax scrolling, but there aren't exactly alternatives available...
    So what? Having no alternatives does not change the fact that this product sux(judging by the demo and the demo only the rest is your speculation)

also I mentioned a ton of other stuff too which u just plain ignored.
    I can't be complaining about something that I don't have in my possession because I don't care. I'm a game studio owner with 7 years in the field, owning a proprietary 3D level editor which is used in production so this is my professional opinion, not a speculation.

This tool is a hobbyists toy at max, also the UX sucks(i.e. not a consumer friendly product) and I don't care what it will become in the future. I'm judging by the demo, and I urge people not to invest in such a complex stuff to jump start someone else's game dev business. Guy just wants to get paid for developing a tool that will help him make games in the future and he's just giving up a basic version of the actual product.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foxnoodles View Post
    So what? Having no alternatives does not change the fact that this product sux(judging by the demo and the demo only the rest is your speculation)

also I mentioned a ton of other stuff too which u just plain ignored.
    I can't be complaining about something that I don't have in my possession because I don't care. I'm a game studio owner with 7 years in the field, owning a proprietary 3D level editor which is used in production so this is my professional opinion, not a speculation.

This tool is a hobbyists toy at max, also the UX sucks(i.e. not a consumer friendly product) and I don't care what it will become in the future. I'm judging by the demo, and I urge people not to invest in such a complex stuff to jump start someone else's game dev business. Guy just wants to get paid for developing a tool that will help him make games in the future and he's just giving up a basic version of the actual product.
    I'd gladly pay 30€ for even just a slide show rom creation tool for Mega Drive.

How much is the splash screen version of your noob-friendly 3D level editor and which classic consoles that I actually care about does it support?
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I'd gladly pay 30€ for even just a slide show rom creation tool for Mega Drive.
    There's one for free check github.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    How much is the splash screen version of your noob-friendly 3D level editor and which classic consoles that I actually care about does it support?
    First of Consumers are not noobs as a given; Secondly NOT supporting the system u care about doesn't change the fact that this tool sucks the way it is now and there are no promises of it becoming better during the development time(no roadmap/plan). Stop jumping from one subject to another. The argument here is that this tool sucks, also developer was going to develop it anyway(because hes going to make games) he just decided to make money out of it(based on logic and general facts about the dev). Again u ignored this part. I'm not here to join u in a demagogic style of arguing you started this by pointing me out about "complaining" and...
    ...If you wanna waste your money just to be able to make a generic platformer Go ahead and pledge but stop telling me that this is good piece of software just because it has no alternatives.You have no argument that fits into common sense, You're okay with having something that makes slideshows.

I'm done with this topic. Next.

also developer was going to develop it anyway(because hes going to make games) he just decided to make money out of it
    I don't know where you got this information from, but it's just false, I'm the developer, I already made lots of games, without any tools like this one, and I'm not planing to make more games in the futur, I just want to reuse my knowledge and game engines I already made to create a tool so that people who don't have programming knowledge can create their games too.
    You just can't compare game maker and my tool, game maker is a general purpose development tool, but it require programming if you want to make something original.
    If you want to make something original, you can already use Basic language on Megadrive/Genesis for example, or just C language and SGDK, but it require lot of knowledge that non programmer can have difficulties learning.

If someone would want a tool that could really use each platform to it's full potential, that would be 3 or 4 years of development for a hundred thousand of dollars kickstarter goal, just unrealistic
    Retro Game Development -> http://onorisoft.free.fr/ <-
    on Megadrive, Dreamcast, PS1, Gameboy, PC engine, Atari, Jaguar

I already made lots of games, without any tools like this one, and I'm not planing to make more games in the future

Right, that makes sense, I guess?

You just can't compare game maker and my tool, game maker is a general purpose development tool, but it require programming if you want to make something original.

I never did.

If someone would want a tool that could really use each platform to it's full potential, that would be 3 or 4 years of development for a hundred thousand of dollars kickstarter goal, just unrealistic

Generic retro game making tool confirmed. Thank you, that's all I was saying actually. It would take even more than 3-4 years if u ask me.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

I've thrown in a pledge at 30. I'm hoping the editor tools can be used to export things to PNG?

I already made lots of games, without any tools like this one, and I'm not planing to make more games in the future

Right, that makes sense, I guess?

I never did.

Generic retro game making tool confirmed. Thank you, that's all I was saying actually. It would take even more than 3-4 years if u ask me.
    Do you mind linking to some of the games that you have developed? I'm curious to see how a professional does it. Thanks.

I'm not gonna expose anything particular about my work, this is just not serious and you're not a person(obviously) to judge how the professional software products look/work.
    Again all that doesn't just magically erase the logic that's behind my previous posts) This is getting ridiculous and childish. Prove your point with logic or just move on.

p.s. We will go public with our new side project soon and you'll have all of the info about our "noob-friendly" editor by that time ) with screenshots gifs and all those goodies. But this does't prove nor deny my point anyway )

p.p.s. Edited the post, for some reason I thought I was replying to Black Tiger so I just removed that part with the Slideshow maker

Usually game developers want to advertise their work. I just thought you'd like to take the opportunity to show some of it off.

Thread Information