Quantcast

Thread: Why are backup RAM cartridges for the Mega CD (PAL) so hard to find?! Help!

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Default Why are backup RAM cartridges for the Mega CD (PAL) so hard to find?! Help!

Seriously, I've been all over Ebay but can only find backup RAM carts for Japanese NTSC Mega Drive/Mega CD's for sale, and they cannot be used with PAL consoles. I lost my old backup RAM cart when I moved a couple of years ago and I need a new one to be able to play my beloved Shining Force CD again! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Seriously, I've been all over Ebay but can only find backup RAM carts for Japanese NTSC Mega Drive/Mega CD's for sale, and they cannot be used with PAL consoles. I lost my old backup RAM cart when I moved a couple of years ago and I need a new one to be able to play my beloved Shining Force CD again! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    They never came out in Pal land that's why. Not that it matter you can use the USA version no trouble or the Japanese version with a converter
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    They never came out in Pal land that's why. Not that it matter you can use the USA version no trouble or the Japanese version with a converter
    Ha! That explains my difficulty in finding one, they don't exist over here! My old one wasn't an official Sega backup RAM cart either but I can't remember who made it. The trouble is I can't even find US backup RAM carts on Ebay, just Jap ones.

There was a 3rd party, unofffical version available in PAL territories but as Team Andromeda says no official release.

I use a Japanese cart in a plain replacement PAL cart shell works fine.

Edit: If you want to go down the unofficial route you could always pick up one of these: https://stoneagegamer.com/ultra-cd-b...d-mega-cd.html
    Last edited by Dyer60; 05-22-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

You could also look into an Everdrive X5 or X7, which can each act as a RAM cart. They can also load CD games from other regions by running a different BIOS, in addition to the primary function of the devices (playing MD ROMs). That'd definitely get you the best bang for your buck.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

dbelectronics says that the Ultra CD Backup RAM Cart is "compatible with all regional variants of the Sega CD / Mega CD Model 1 and 2."

https://db-electronics.ca/wiki/produ...#Compatibility

https://stoneagegamer.com/ultra-cd-b...d-mega-cd.html
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

That's great! Thanks for the help, guys!

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

will a japanese back up cartridge work on a us sega cd? I hear conflicting stories.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    will a japanese back up cartridge work on a us sega cd? I hear conflicting stories.
    Yes, they work fine. It's just the cart is a bit larger so it works better to use a JP RAM cart on a X-Eye or Laseractive.

Or you could just open the JP cart and stick it in a donor shell.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training ShadowFalls's Avatar

Yes. That is what I am using now. There is no region protection on them but the Japanese carts won't fit in the system. I just swapped its shell with a dead cart I had from a US Sonic cart and it worked without issue. It should be the same with PAL carts as well. You aren't needing to play a game so all the other differences don't matter. Just be prepared to need a replacement battery for it.

I actually like the Mega CD Ram carts, unlike the US ones, they came in a case with stickers to write the game saves on. It was a better presentation.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

so a japanese back up cartridge won't fit in the us sega cd on itself?

No it won’t it actually goes into the Genesis cart slot, the cart is wider and a different shape to a US cart.

The Ram Cart is shaped just like Mega Drive games in Japan and there's a small Black piece at the bottom left of the Cart that means it won't fit in either a USA or Pal Mega Drive system. One can just buy a converter to bypass it, like one had to play Japanese games on a Pal or USA system back in the day . The Cart itself works fine on any system and the text will be displayed in English on a Pal or USA system
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

My backup RAM cartridge for Mega CD arrived today, after I ordered one from Stone Age Gamer. Looking forward to testing it when I'm next off work. Thanks again for your help, guys!

Glad to hear it
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information