Quantcast

Thread: What is SMS mode and how do you access it?

Wildside Expert

Default What is SMS mode and how do you access it?

I've heard that the Game Gear is capable of booting into a master system mode and displaying in higher resolution. What exactly is this and how do I access it? Does it work with any game? This could make Sonic 2 much easier.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Use a physical adapter to use SMS carts on a Game Gear or use a Game Gear flashcart that supports SMS roms.

The physical screen of the Game Gear is smaller/lower than the resolution of SMS games, so you'll be missing the outer portion of the visuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Wildside Expert

But I thought the game gear was capable of displaying the master system's native resolution? I figured instead of missing the out portions of the visuals everything would just be small but it would fit

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I haven't used a Master Gear more than a few times and it was years ago. The sides of the screen/image of SMS games is supposed to be cut off, but not a big deal in most cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

IIRC there's a pin on the cart slot that triggers SMS mode. However, loading a GG game in SMS mode doesn't automatically give you more screen real estate, it just puts the smaller image in the middle of the screen. However, if you were to use Master System version of Sonic 2 on the Game Gear it does indeed show much more of the screen, making the game much easier.

Best thing to do is use an Everdrive and put the SMS roms on it. It will automatically play SMS games in SMS mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Salduchi View Post
    But I thought the game gear was capable of displaying the master system's native resolution? I figured instead of missing the out portions of the visuals everything would just be small but it would fit
    Game Gear resolution is 160x144, which is fixed because of the LCD. The Master System is 256x192.

The Gear Master converter will play SMS games on the Game Gear but it resizes the game for the lower resolution (you can see the difference when there is text on the screen).

Now, one thing you might find interesting -- the Nomad has a much higher resolution LCD. If you could modify a Nomad to run in SMS mode you might be able to play the games off a flash cart in full resolution. Maybe. I don't know if anyone has actually tried that.

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

That's a great idea actually. Mod the Nomad for SMS mode and load SMS games with a Genny Everdrive.

I think I have a project...
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

Old but I just see this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Salduchi View Post
    Master System resolution is 256px wide, but the Game Gear in SMS mode will output 240px. In other words, you'll be losing 8px at the sides.

This is not a big deal: TVs would cut off the sides already and games had to be made taking this into account. This was just Sega taking advantage of that to make their life easier.

Thread Information