Quantcast

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Gaming Historian covers the 32X.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I have a feeling that some of those quotes come from Sam Pettus’ Book.
    I wonder where Pettus got those quotes from, since he didn't interview anyone as far as I know, and many of the sources he used (like Daily Radar) are long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    But what about Mark Bussler???? You asked him, right?
    I had the publisher send him a review copy, and he never reviewed it.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I wonder where Pettus got those quotes from, since he didn't interview anyone as far as I know, and many of the sources he used (like Daily Radar) are long gone.

I had the publisher send him a review copy, and he never reviewed it.
    I have Sam Pettus' book and your book, Melf. Both excellent reads. I too am curious as to where Pettus got some of his information from. For instance at one point he's discussing the Mega CD, and claims that, when you take all forms and makes of the Mega CD into account (WonderMega/Multi Mega, X'Eye etc...) it sold around 6million units worldwide. I found this very plausible until guys on here told me that figure is grossly inflated.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Pettus generally got his quotes from the following sources for his book:

1) He interviewed Joe Miller (I think that's the only substantial interview he did)
    2) He copiously quoted from your interviews on this site without any citation
    3) He used a lot of quotes from Michael Latham (and others?) that were first published in Steven Kent's video game book
    4) He used a lot of quotes from the 1993 Wired article on Sega
    5) He mostly used contemporary news articles from Western media
    6) There are a few mystery quotes, the sources of which I've never been able to track down. For example, he has these really nice quotes from Okawa but I cannot figure out where they came from:

https://archive.is/MieEo#selection-779.52-779.56

That site lists sources at the bottom (but still no idea where the Okawa quotes come from).

(edit: nevermind, I found the quotes in Japanese here: http://www.itmedia.co.jp/news/0011/01/csk_m.html )

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    I have Sam Pettus' book and your book, Melf. Both excellent reads. I too am curious as to where Pettus got some of his information from. For instance at one point he's discussing the Mega CD, and claims that, when you take all forms and makes of the Mega CD into account (WonderMega/Multi Mega, X'Eye etc...) it sold around 6million units worldwide. I found this very plausible until guys on here told me that figure is grossly inflated.
    Keep in mind that Pettus was writing most of this back around the turn of the millennium, and there just wasn't much info available. He didn't use any Japanese sources that I'm aware of. Most of what he wrote came from Western news articles. His numbers are generally very off and we have a much better picture now from the numbers that Sega provided to Japanese publications.

By the way, in reference to the "Gaming Historian" 32X video, it's shocking how much be fairly directly copied from Pettus's book (from the section "The birth of Project Mars"). I just realized this looking back at the book now.
    Last edited by Gryson; 06-06-2018 at 10:36 AM.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Anybody who thinks the Mega CD sold over 6 million, is living in dream land. Also the Wondermega, Multi Mega and XEye sold in tiny numbers too
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    I don't know what went wrong, they had several popular franchises already, why not just make Sonic 4, Streets of Rage 4, etc for the 32X? Why waste time porting old games like Space Harrier and After Burner?

In a way it's not much different from the Jaguar, where my favorite game for the console is Tempest 2000. Fun as hell -- but still pretty much the same game from 1980.
    Trouble was SEGA Japan and its main 3rd party teams were all working and focused on the Saturn and like it or not, SOJ were always the power house when in came to SEGA games, with hundreds of staff all dedicated to just making consumer games
    SOA seemed to think you could make 32Bit games in the style of the 16 days, with small teams and tight deadlines, but in the 32bit days you needed as many artists as you did for an entire team, to make an MD game
    SOA handling of the 32Bit generation for its own In-House teams and close 3rd parties was nothing short of shambolic, even the choice of Space Harrier made little sense, when OutRun was by far and away a much bigger seller in the Arcades.

32X just came out at the wrong time and made so little use of the MD, one wonders why it was even a add-on, at all.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    SOA seemed to think you could make 32Bit games in the style of the 16 days, with small teams and tight deadlines, but in the 32bit days you needed as many artists as you did for an entire team, to make an MD game
    SOA handling of the 32Bit generation for its own In-House teams and close 3rd parties was nothing short of shambolic, even the choice of Space Harrier made little sense, when OutRun was by far and away a much bigger seller in the Arcades.
    I was just going to suggest OutRun too, of the superscalar games that was by far my favorite. Great music too! Galaxy Force II would have been fun too but I don't think it was all that well known in 1994. Space Harrier just has too many cheap deaths, I guess it was really popular in Japan or something to get ported nine years later.

Flat-shaded polygon games would have worked well with a smaller number of artists (and more importantly, the limited cart space). Look at Shadow Squadron, Virtua Racing Deluxe, Virtua Fighter, games that actually looked like next-gen titles.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    I was just going to suggest OutRun too, of the superscalar games that was by far my favorite. Great music too! Galaxy Force II would have been fun too but I don't think it was all that well known in 1994. Space Harrier just has too many cheap deaths, I guess it was really popular in Japan or something to get ported nine years later.

Flat-shaded polygon games would have worked well with a smaller number of artists (and more importantly, the limited cart space). Look at Shadow Squadron, Virtua Racing Deluxe, Virtua Fighter, games that actually looked like next-gen titles.
    Agreed and all those games came from the Japanese arm and who were far more focused on Saturn development. So you had the horrible combination of SEGA Japan top teams working on the Saturn and SOA just not being able to step up to 32bit production on a good enough scale in terms of good games coming out.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    This was right around the time when more and more people started buying PCs. The internet really started to become big in around 1995 and PC prices were dropping.

When Doom 32X came out, my family didn't have a PC, but within a year we did and yeah, at that point, Doom 32X couldn't hold a candle to games like Dark Forces. However, up to that point, I was really satisfied with Doom 32X.

I do feel sorry for anybody with access to the PC version that purchased Doom 32X... must have been a disappointment.
    When I got the 32x and Doom with it, I had a PC and had played the shareware version of Doom to death. It was nice to finally progress into episode 2 (though no sign of episode 3! LOL). However, I did have Doom 2, so I was playing that more. It wouldn't be until the the PS1 port that I was able to play later levels and then eventually got Ultimate Doom on the PC.

I enjoyed the 32x port for what it was. I knew it wasn't as powerful as my pc (486 DX2 / 50 Mhz / 4MB ram) but it was great to play it on a TV.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    His Power Glove story was pretty good. It covered a lot of the history of AGE’s founder.
    you should watch his tetris video. one of the greatest things on the internet.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by bgpjr View Post
    When I got the 32x and Doom with it, I had a PC and had played the shareware version of Doom to death. It was nice to finally progress into episode 2 (though no sign of episode 3! LOL). However, I did have Doom 2, so I was playing that more. It wouldn't be until the the PS1 port that I was able to play later levels and then eventually got Ultimate Doom on the PC.

I enjoyed the 32x port for what it was. I knew it wasn't as powerful as my pc (486 DX2 / 50 Mhz / 4MB ram) but it was great to play it on a TV.
    After reading this thread the last few days I played a few levels of 32X Doom, it was better than I remembered. Not as good as on a 486 but very playable, good framerate, controls well, etc. Hard to see things at a distance and the repetitive textures sometimes make me forget where I am in the level, but still a lot of fun.

I wish they had mixed the levels from Doom and Doom II, include the smaller maps to make up for the lack of cart capacity and RAM. Then it would have looked like it was a special edition of Doom rather than a cut down port.

I think the implication was that Sega would release more Doom carts if the first one was a success. Unfortunately, the 32X itself died soon after.

Thread Information