Quantcast

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming Historian covers the 32X.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Default Gaming Historian covers the 32X.

A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Solid video by the Gaming Historian as usual. I can't say I learned anything new, but he certainly presented everything very well and succinctly. Ugh, it's difficult rehashing that period of Sega history for me. The begining of the end of my favorite gaming company.

Hero of Algol

Geez, what an awful video.
    Just like with his "SEGA's 3 Biggest Mistakes" he went hard with the SOA-biased revision of the history; SOJ was basically just a bunch a of retards forcing SOA to make mistakes.
    I also love the stupid bits such as "Genesis wasn't cutting edge technology but it was fun" when justifying its competitiveness against the SNES.

What part of the Genesis was cutting edge technology?

All of the hardware inside of the Genesis was off the shelf, and in some cases, parts that had been around for half a decade.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Geez, what an awful video.
    Just like with his "SEGA's 3 Biggest Mistakes" he went hard with the SOA-biased revision of the history; SOJ was basically just a bunch a of retards forcing SOA to make mistakes.
    I also love the stupid bits such as "Genesis wasn't cutting edge technology but it was fun" when justifying its competitiveness against the SNES.
    Yeah, he makes some pretty weird revisionist statements.

Kalinske was against the 32X?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalinske
    I think it made a lot of sense, in theory. We couldn’t get a 32-bit platform out quickly enough, so why not add that capability, to the degree that you can, to the 16-bit platform? ...We thought were going to sell millions of those...
    http://www.sega-16.com/2006/07/interview-tom-kalinske/

Sega of Japan was secretly developing the Saturn in 1994?? That's probably the funniest. The thing was reported in newspaper/magazine articles from mid-1993 (especially concerning the partnership with Hitachi) and was officially announced at the beginning of 1994, right when the 32X began development. There was nothing secret about it.

That's just the stuff that stuck out after 5 minutes. Maybe I'll finish the video later...

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    What part of the Genesis was cutting edge technology?
    All of the hardware inside of the Genesis was off the shelf, and in some cases, parts that had been around for half a decade.
    I'm not saying it was but the whole context in what he delivers that meaningless statement simply doesn't make sense to me.
    It's not like the Genesis hardware couldn't compete with the SNES' and was hanging in there thanks to "fun" games.

I really just had a hard time stomaching that video since IMHO it has a lot of bias and several inaccurate statements used to build a compelling yet very flawed recollection of what happen back in those days.

Anyway, I really don't mean to bring a shitstorm to your thread. We all know very well at this point that this is a polarizing subject (and probably one of the major reasons why youtubers love to cover stuff like this with a strong view pushed in the video) and that we'll never agree on it.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Anyway, I really don't mean to bring a shitstorm to your thread. We all know very well at this point that this is a polarizing subject (and probably one of the major reasons why youtubers love to cover stuff like this with a strong view pushed in the video) and that we'll never agree on it.
    Well, it's one thing to have different interpretations of the facts as they are reported, but it's just sloppy "history" to mis-report things that are easily confirmed.

But I guess if you care about the history, you really shouldn't be looking to Youtube videos that fail to cite a single source (which is most likely this site) and excessively promote shaving products. Just saying...

Hero of Algol

Totally agree but at this stage I have expressed my arguments dozens of times.
    Some people still like to believe the 32X was a good piece of hardware, although it surely wasn't and so on. It's pointless for me to argue about that. You can cite, explain; do whatever you want, most people will ultimately believe in what they wanted to believe in the first place.

Are we still questioning if SOJ really had an intermediate console in the works?

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Pretty solid video. Not perfect, but above average for YouTube based coverage.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training ShadowFalls's Avatar

Totally agree but at this stage I have expressed my arguments dozens of times.
    Some people still like to believe the 32X was a good piece of hardware, although it surely wasn't and so on. It's pointless for me to argue about that. You can cite, explain; do whatever you want, most people will ultimately believe in what they wanted to believe in the first place.
    It was, but it was too damn late to matter. Looking back, I would rather a 32x exist than not, but if it never did, it probably wouldn't have saved them. Game libraries make or break a system. Sony knows this which is why they keep dominating every generation.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFalls View Post
    It was, but it was too damn late to matter. Looking back, I would rather a 32x exist than not, but if it never did, it probably wouldn't have saved them. Game libraries make or break a system. Sony knows this which is why they keep dominating every generation.
    Sega not releasing the 32X may not have made a difference in the long run, but it would have saved them much needed money in the short term and had the added bonus of not damaging their reputation with consumers. A reputation, I might add, that Sega had worked so hard to build up during their glory days with the Mega Drive/Genesis. The ill thought out and subsequent rushed launch of the 32X, mere months before the launch of the Saturn, put an awfully big dent in consumer confidence in the Sega brand.

Master of Shinobi

Personally, I don't think cancelling the 32X would have had much of an impact in the long run. It might have increased early worldwide Saturn sales, as some people who bought a 32X may have gone for the Saturn instead, but history would have repeated itself unless Sega had executed a different strategy for the Saturn. By the time the 32X was released, Sony and Sega's different strategies regarding software development and developer relations, not to mention the Saturn's architectural inadequacies for 3D, had already laid the groundwork for the direction that the generation would take. Sega's poor marketing and release decisions compounded their situation, but the 32X had nothing to do with any of that.

Also, I'm not convinced that the 32X stole developer focus from the Saturn in a big enough way to make a major impact either. Of the games in the 32X's library, IMO only enhanced versions of Chaotix (possibly including Sonic) and Star Wars Arcade could have made much of a difference to the Saturn's launch if they had been released on that system instead. On top of that, SoJ's support was so half hearted that I'm not convinced that shifting those developers to Saturn projects would have made much difference to anything.
    Last edited by Silanda; 06-03-2018 at 09:39 AM.

I skipped the 32X, because I knew the 32 bit consoles were coming. I didn't get a 32X until they were being sold for $20.

The 32X did take away some much needed game development from the Saturn. The Saturn could of had better arcade ports of Star Wars and Virtua Raciing. It would have been cool to have arcade perfect ports of Space Harrier and After Burner at launch as well.

Hero of Algol

The 32X simply sucks.

Minimal video hardware forcing developers to do almost everything in software, no hardware assist for 3D, very tiny CPU cache, work RAM a little too small to be able to port most of the PC games of the time to it, performance of 2D games running off the 68000 was compromised in comparison to the stock MD more often than not, etc.
    Plus the cables mess and additional power supply.
    And it's also quite prone to glitch/freeze.

And that's to not even touch the subject of how poor, stupid and broken Knuckles' Chaotix is.

Thread Information