Quantcast

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gaming Historian covers the 32X.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by sull56ivan2010 View Post
    You still don't get it. It's not like today where every system is getting Doom. To the average person, these console ports were their first experience. Not to mention, not everybody had an arcade near them or a computer store to instantly buy a Windows or Mac. Most were not going to fork over 2 to 3 grand on a computer just for one game. I get it if someone played the PC game when it first came out, but computers were an investment in 1993-95. And even then, it wasn't exactly silky smooth (high/low detail and screen size for anybody that played on Windows 3.1 or 95 back then will know that frustration) like it is today with modern PC's. Even Wolfenstein 3D wasn't smooth at times back then, either.

Of course they have to make cuts to certain things. Every Doom port had cuts. Even with the phenomenal PlayStation version. The changes you're suggesting is not what people would have wanted with something as big as that game. It's like arcade games. Some compromises have to be made. You're only alotted so much memory for a cart.

You also don't get Sega's arcade presence at the time, especially with racers. Virtua Racing was a huge deal to bring over to the Genesis and 32x. Just to have that kind of game on a home console was a selling point, regardless of whether you preferred Mario Kart.(SNES version is overrated, got better beginning with the 64 version) Bringing the arcade experience home was always what Sega had in mind. Look at Sega Rally on the Saturn. Such a great game and for many, an excellent port that you didn't have to wait or spend quarters at the arcade. You can play it at home any time. From Turbo to whatever they have today, they were a pioneer for racers.
    Maybe I'm just an anomaly, I don't know. By about 1994 I would guess at least 80% of the people I knew had a computer at home, it was unusual not to have one. Not everyone had a high end gaming PC with a Soundblaster card and a joystick but you could still run a game like Doom even without all that. (And let's not forget, back then it was easy to pirate computer games by just copying the floppy disks -- I'm not saying that was the right thing to do, but people did it).

In 1993-1994 the games my friends and I liked were things like Sonic 2 (in two player mode), Streets of Rage 2, Street Figher 2, Mortal Kombat, Mario Kart -- see the trend there? These were multiplayer games you could play with your friends, really fun at parties. The 32X just doesn't have anything like that.

I don't care what you were playing in 1994 or having parties playing those games you mentioned. You're still missing the point on why a game like Virtua Racing was a big deal at that time for a lot of people when it came out to home consoles.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by sull56ivan2010 View Post
    I don't care what you were playing in 1994 or having parties playing those games you mentioned. You're still missing the point on why a game like Virtua Racing was a big deal at that time for a lot of people when it came out to home consoles.
    I guess I am missing the point because I don't know a single person who ran out to buy a 32X on the strength of Virtua Racing Deluxe.

32X was basically a cheap Doom machine.

Maybe I'm just an anomaly, I don't know. By about 1994 I would guess at least 80% of the people I knew had a computer at home, it was unusual not to have one. Not everyone had a high end gaming PC with a Soundblaster card and a joystick but you could still run a game like Doom even without all that. (And let's not forget, back then it was easy to pirate computer games by just copying the floppy disks -- I'm not saying that was the right thing to do, but people did it).
    PCs had to be custom designed or built to play games back then. We had a high-end IBM PS/2 486 machine, brand new for 1994. But it had no CD drive or sound and it ran Unix Solaris. Not exactly easy to play Doom, or anything, on that. It had some crappy wireframe tank combat game and some red and blue circles board game. Our next PC was a 1997 HP Pavilion Pentium with a CDROM drive and Windows 95 that eventually got a Voodoo3. Now that was a killer game machine.
    Last edited by Blades; 06-04-2018 at 04:09 AM.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Nobody I knew had a PC capable of playing decent games until the mid to late 90's. The ONLY way to play games like Doom for us was on consoles and the PlayStation port of Doom was absolutely excellent, as was Final Doom. In fact I still fire it up and play through both titles to this day. I remember it was always my dad's favourite game to play.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    That's interesting all of you saw it differently. Maybe my friends and I were a bit different, we liked PC gaming already so we didn't mind running Doom on the computer. If you had a 486 the framerate was already better than the 32X. There were decent PC joypads at the time so you didn't have to play with the keyboard.

On the other hand if you didn't own a fast PC or you preferred to keep your gaming in the living room I can see where the 32X version would be a big deal.
    what? only noobs played shooters with a game pad. actually I've never even heard anyone play them with a game pad until the xbox generation. people played with keyboard and mouse.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    what? only noobs played shooters with a game pad. actually I've never even heard anyone play them with a game pad until the xbox generation. people played with keyboard and mouse.
    Although I played with the keyboard myself I knew several guys back in the day who preferred gamepads.

I'm amazed at the comments here from people who think you needed a custom built rig to play Doom in the early '90s. I've run it, albeit at a lower framerate, on a 25 MHz 386SX (which was a budget PC even in 1990). Any 486 runs it fine, there were already 100 MHz 486 DX4s back then and the 50 and 66 MHz clock speeds were very common. You could even get a Pentium in 1994 although the first versions suffered from a divide bug that limited their popularity.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    32X was basically a cheap Doom machine.
    Wouldn't that have been a Jaguar?
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Sure, but many more 32x units were sold than Jaguar consoles.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Jaguar Doom actually came out a week after 32X Doom in Nov 1994, and the Jaguar sold for $250 then compared with the 32X's $150 (they would both drop in price significantly in 1995), so it didn't have much advantage there.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Doom alone justified the 32X as an end user. It was a lot of fun and I never got to see Doom running smooth with sound on a PC at anyone's home until around the time of the Dreamcast.
    The Jaguar version was better. The trouble with the 32X was its timing and it was another add-on for a system that already had one expensive add-on and SEGA was expecting its users to pay for yet another and also the use of Carts as the media was a massive fail and step backward and the timing was just an epic fail coming out at the same time as the Saturn and PS. Then when you look at the games, they make so little use of the MD hardware, other than for the Hud or to display a backround plane, one wonders why even bother to use the MD hardware and the 32X could and maybe should have been a stand-alone device and a cheap 32Bit entry console. I would have much rathered saw SEGA go with the original Jupiter plan myself.

In the end the 32X didn't make SEGA lose money, it was done in months and when SEGA was still a really profitable corp, but its just sent a mixed and confused message to developers, retail, and the SEGA consumer and split SEGA users base against each other, rather than with rival system and that's was really hurt SEGA; At a point when it was facing the biggest battle in its life, not just talking on Nintendo with its HUGE sales and over 3 Billion cash in the bank (more than SEGA networth) but also SONY. It was really a time that SEGA and its teams needed to be united and focused on just one system to face the battle.
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 06-04-2018 at 09:50 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Most people bought a Jaguar for Tempest 2000 and AVP.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Most people bought a Jaguar for Tempest 2000 and AVP.
    Yeah, but if you wanted the best version of Doom on a console on the cheap, the Jaguar was the system to go for.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Yeah, but if you wanted the best version of Doom on a console on the cheap, the Jaguar was the system to go for.
    But the Jaguar wasn't cheap when it's port came out.

Outrunner

You are right. Very impressive framerate and full screen. A lot of people criticize it for not having music, but so what, Doom music was not that special to start with.

Thread Information