Quantcast

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gaming Historian covers the 32X.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

The PlayStation version of DOOM was based off of the Jag game. I kind of wish I had gotten DOOM on the Jag. I do have Wolfenstein 3D though.
    Last edited by gamevet; 06-04-2018 at 11:21 AM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Wouldn't that have been a Jaguar?
    jaguar was about twice as expensive as a 32x.

Quote Originally Posted by sull56ivan2010 View Post
    But the Jaguar wasn't cheap when it's port came out.
    The Jaguar cost around 40 quid more than the 32X (that's if one already owned a Mega Drive) and the game cost around the same price. So if Doom was really your think on the Console the Jaguar was the way to go
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    jaguar was about twice as expensive as a 32x.
    Hardly the 32X cost £170 with no game (just a lot of vouchers), no joypad and you also needed an MD to make it run. The UK Jaguar cost £229.99 and came bundled with a pad and also Cybermorph game and most shops like Silica were offering the Jaguar for £199.99.

Better vaule and also a better version of Doom too
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

the 32x was 150$, not 200.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    Norm has a couple of episodes reviewing Sega history books. I have a feeling a lot of his information came from those, although it is a bit odd that he doesn't cite his sources.
    Not mine! I offered a copy for review and he said he didn't have the time. He did want a free copy, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    There's no excuse for it. Melf has expressed frustration before that Youtubers are not crediting him for his interviews, which cost a lot of time and money over the years. This Youtuber is simply trying to drive a profit off of the hard work of the community. I don't care how well put together his videos are, if he can't be bothered to cite the people that did the actual research, then he's a leech on the community.
    I don't think he used any of my interviews as sources. He didn't quote any, at least. That, to me, is actually more disappointing. We have so much information and over 120 interviews on the site, and people make videos about Sega and don't even bother to look.

His videos are also full of half-truths and speculation passed off as fact. I guess it's easier to do that when you don't list any of your sources.
    This video marks the second time he's used that quote about Miller saying the machine with simply more colors was a horrible idea, despite recognizing that Miller himself never recalled having been that harsh.

The biggest problem I have with these kinds of videos is that they always portray Sega as a scrappy underdog who gave Nintendo a run for its money. They never, EVER mention that Sega toppled Nintendo's industry monopoly, helped end its dominance of publishers and retailers, and actually outsold Nintendo for a time, taking a larger share of the market.

I may be a bit harsh, but I can only hope he reads this and understands that it's very low to not give credit.
    To be fair, I'm not sure how often he reads the site, if at all, so he's not snubbing us as much as you might think. The lack of citation overall is a problem, though. A single screen at the end would suffice.

I have a feeling that some of those quotes come from Sam Pettusí Book.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    the 32x was 150$, not 200.
    I'm going on UK launch prices.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    Norm has a couple of episodes reviewing Sega history books. I have a feeling a lot of his information came from those, although it is a bit odd that he doesn't cite his sources.

Alright, cheap shot... most YouTubers are promoting stuff now.
    The man should be called Google historian. That's all he does and he even can't get that part right
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

His Power Glove story was pretty good. It covered a lot of the history of AGEís founder.
    Last edited by gamevet; 06-04-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    The biggest problem I have with these kinds of videos is that they always portray Sega as a scrappy underdog who gave Nintendo a run for its money. They never, EVER mention that Sega toppled Nintendo's industry monopoly, helped end its dominance of publishers and retailers, and actually outsold Nintendo for a time, taking a larger share of the market.
    This.
    And that false premise doesn't allow any discussion about the software quality and/or value that Sega was delivering with the Mega Drive/Genesis during its lifespan.

It's ludicrous to summarize Sega's brand recognition buildup as a result of Sonic The Hedgehog success and that as a result of a good marketing strategy only.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Yup, that tired old cliche in gaming circles that Sega lauded style over substance, and that they simply got lucky with Sonic the Hedgehog, will always be trotted out it seems. (yawn)

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Not mine! I offered a copy for review and he said he didn't have the time. He did want a free copy, though!
    Sorry to hear that... he didnít review Patís book either, if thatís any consolation.

But what about Mark Bussler???? You asked him, right?

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    His Power Glove story was pretty good.
    I also really enjoyed his Tetris episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Yeah, but if you wanted the best version of Doom on a console on the cheap, the Jaguar was the system to go for.
    Yes but Sega was much more established (at the time) than Atari. The promise of future Saturn-inspired support for the 32X along with the first home port of Doom probably sealed the deal for most people and they bought the mushroom of doom for Doom instead of the Jag. Carmack worked on both the 32X and Jag versions of Doom.

Also, the Jag version was technically very good but the lack of music was a dealbreaker, at least for me. The 32X version had awful music but at least it had something.

My first experience of Doom was on 3DO. Those barons of hell sure move slow at 2 FPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Yup, that tired old cliche in gaming circles that Sega lauded style over substance, and that they simply got lucky with Sonic the Hedgehog, will always be trotted out it seems. (yawn)
    Sonic did 'also' make SEGA and the Mega Drive the must-own system for a while in the west, it's impact was massive and SEGA was really good at advertising back inthe day and also made fun of Nintendo family stance and used it against Nintendo, one can't overlook at that either, but I agree SEGA made huge moves in other ways too, but Another cliche is that somehow it was all SOA; SEGA Europe totally killed Nintendo and the Snes in the UK and most of Europe, even in Japan (where Nintendo was totally dominant, more so than in the USA) SEGA and NEC was starting to make inroads to Nintendo dominance of not just retail, but with 3rd parties, From what I remember NEC used it's retail arm in Japan to really help the PC-Eng get winder distrubution in Japan and both NEC and SEGA were looking to get 3rd party support on thier systems or handle the ports of games themselfs if the developers were contracted to Nintendo. I think being the underdog really impowered SEGA and made them really do stuff Nintendo didn't. Another myth that SONY reached out the older gamer, but SEGA Europe did that 1st too. SEGA Europe took the MD around clubs back in the day and long before wipeout (even to Cathih Densie gigs and the like) , used sport and slick adverts long before SONY and long before SONY did late night advertising for console games and also used the cinema to promote games too, again before SONY. The only realy trouble with SEGA Europe push back in those days was it was very much for men and teenagers.

SEGA Europe really should get a lot more credit too, for the stuff they did with the Mega Drive too imo, also isn't thanks to SEGA that games typically launch on Tuesdays in the USA ?
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 06-05-2018 at 05:14 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information