Quantcast

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gaming Historian covers the 32X.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Sonic did 'also' make SEGA and the Mega Drive the must-own system for a while in the west, it's impact was massive and SEGA was really good at advertising back inthe day and also made fun of Nintendo family stance and used it against Nintendo, one can't overlook at that either, but I agree SEGA made huge moves in other ways too, but Another cliche is that somehow it was all SOA; SEGA Europe totally killed Nintendo and the Snes in the UK and most of Europe, even in Japan (where Nintendo was totally dominant, more so than in the USA) SEGA and NEC was starting to make inroads to Nintendo dominance of not just retail, but with 3rd parties, From what I remember NEC used it's retail arm in Japan to really help the PC-Eng get winder distrubution in Japan and both NEC and SEGA were looking to get 3rd party support on thier systems or handle the ports of games themselfs if the developers were contracted to Nintendo. I think being the underdog really impowered SEGA and made them really do stuff Nintendo didn't. Another myth that SONY reached out the older gamer, but SEGA Europe did that 1st too. SEGA Europe took the MD around clubs back in the day and long before wipeout (even to Cathih Densie gigs and the like) , used sport and slick adverts long before SONY and long before SONY did late night advertising for console games and also used the cinema to promote games too, again before SONY. The only realy trouble with SEGA Europe push back in those days was it was very much for men and teenagers.

SEGA Europe really should get a lot more credit too, for the stuff they did with the Mega Drive too imo, also isn't thanks to SEGA that games typically launch on Tuesdays in the USA ?
    It's true. Sega of Europe destroyed Nintendo and played a huge part in Sega's worldwide brand dominance with the Mega Drive.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Also I did get sick of people giving credit to SONY Platinum range of games for staring official price cuts to games at retail (not 2nd hand) Again SEGA Europe beat SONY to it, with SEGA Classics range on the MD. Also, SEGA beat both SONY and MS XBox Live and PSN service for classic games downloads. SEGA Japan did that on the DC with its classic Mega Drive and PC Eng download service in Japan
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    It's true. Sega of Europe destroyed Nintendo and played a huge part in Sega's worldwide brand dominance with the Mega Drive.
    SEGA Europe did wonders with the Mega Drive. It outsold the Snes by over 50% in the UK and never at any stage did the Super Nintendo have a better market share than SEGA's Mega Drive in Europe. SEGA Europe also did the moves of talking its consoles around clubs, before SONY sponsoring BIG sporting effects and having famous film and music stars promoting SEGA, long before the likes of SONY. It really made the effort to appeal to the older gamer and to make gaming cool. Hell SEGA Europe even went on the James Whale Radio TV show a few times back in the day; A TV show famous for having women showing off their boobs or dressed with next to nothing on and Heavy Metal music. Saintly Nintendo would never have done such a move or allowed its distributor, to do such a move lol.
    Its Sad that SEGA Europe aren't given more credit for what they did in the 90's
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Yes but Sega was much more established (at the time) than Atari. The promise of future Saturn-inspired support for the 32X along with the first home port of Doom probably sealed the deal for most people and they bought the mushroom of doom for Doom instead of the Jag. Carmack worked on both the 32X and Jag versions of Doom.
    I was just saying that the Jaguar was the best version of the game and the Jaguar did not really cost a lot more than the 32X and like I said you also got a free game with the system, If Doom really was your think the Jaguar was the version to get.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Hero of Algol

I was just saying that the Jaguar was the best version of the game and the Jaguar did not really cost a lot more than the 32X
    You're not considering that going the 32X route you'd also be reusing pretty much all your controllers and accessories.
    At that point you could very well own a nice pair of Sega 6B controllers. The 32X would reuse those; while with the Jaguar you'd be getting just one controller which was not really well-reputed.
    Last edited by Barone; 06-05-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Outrunner

I was just saying that the Jaguar was the best version of the game and the Jaguar did not really cost a lot more than the 32X and like I said you also got a free game with the system, If Doom really was your think the Jaguar was the version to get.
    So at launch a Jaguar was only about 1/3 more expensive than the 32X and came with a pack-in game (vs. a pack of $10 coupons for future 32X games).

That makes the Jaguar look like the better deal to me, of course if you had asked me in 1994 which one I wanted I'd have picked the 32X because Sega had a stellar reputation for putting out quality games while Atari at that point did not.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

What is even the argument here? Yes, the Jaguar port of Doom was superior to the 32x version. And which one was cheaper at the time? I suppose if you already had a Genesis, the 32x would be cheaper, and if not, then the Jaguar. Not sure why any of that matters anyway. In late 94/95, the 32x had a much larger market presence than the Jag, and it sold significantly better. Doom was a big reason for that (but Star Wars pushed consoles as well). While the Jaguar had a better version of Doom, not many people bought them, while the 32x Doom was considered the hot ticket during that shopping season.

Edit: I also wanted to add that the 32x was marketed toward Genesis owners. It was an add-on. They weren't targeting first timers to buy a Genesis and 32x together. While there surely must have been some people who did that, I would think they would have been in the extreme minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    You're not considering that going the 32X route you'd also be reusing pretty much all your controllers and accessories.
    Like I said, that's going on that you already owned an MD. Looking over that the Jaguar wasn't that much more than the 32X, one also got a free game with the console too and of course was able to play a much better version of DOOM, if DOOM was your thing. Well at least until the PS version came out.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    So at launch a Jaguar was only about 1/3 more expensive than the 32X and came with a pack-in game (vs. a pack of $10 coupons for future 32X games).

That makes the Jaguar look like the better deal to me, of course if you had asked me in 1994 which one I wanted I'd have picked the 32X because Sega had a stellar reputation for putting out quality games while Atari at that point did not.
    I agree on all counts, sadly the 32X helped erode SEGA rep, for putting out quality games, especially on SOA side
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Outrunner

I agree on all counts, sadly the 32X helped erode SEGA rep, for putting out quality games, especially on SOA side
    I don't know what went wrong, they had several popular franchises already, why not just make Sonic 4, Streets of Rage 4, etc for the 32X? Why waste time porting old games like Space Harrier and After Burner?

In a way it's not much different from the Jaguar, where my favorite game for the console is Tempest 2000. Fun as hell -- but still pretty much the same game from 1980.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Space Harrier and After Burner
    Those weren't really the issue and they were well-suited for the 32X hardware. They were old but still good looking games with interesting gameplay.
    Virtua Racing Deluxe is awesome IMO but Sega had already burned you with an expensive version for the MD. :S
    Virtua Fighter is also a very solid port.

Real offenders were major titles with major issues such as Chaotix and MKII.
    Chaotix is an abomination, Sonic games cohesiveness and continuity is completely gone in that thing. Level design is pure trash. Controls are anything but intuitive. Art is bad too, flat in a lot of spots and with awful color use. A major downgrade even if compared to Sonic 1.
    MKII was released a bit too late but the worst issue is how the music is still just the MD one. This version failed to clearly surpass the SNES one and didn't bring the arcade OST either. Had slowdowns too.

Then you also have the trash stuff. 32X's Pitfall runs horribly slow and the scrolling is never smooth. Cosmic Carnage is a slowdown and weirdness fest.
    Brutal is super duper awful, should've never ever been released.

Pretty awful sports line-up too.

Banned by Administrators

MKII was the main reason for wanting a 32X back in the day, game was still big news at the release of 32X from my perspective.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Chaotix is an abomination, Sonic games cohesiveness and continuity is completely gone in that thing. Level design is pure trash. Controls are anything but intuitive. Art is bad too, flat in a lot of spots and with awful color use. A major downgrade even if compared to Sonic 1.
    Chaotix has to be unfinished. The levels are practically empty. A lot of the acts feel the same too. The controls are weird but I got the hang of it, I just make sure to play on emulation with save states so I can pick whoever I want at the combi catcher (what was the point of putting Heavy and Bomb in there?)

It does have some redeeming qualities though, I loved the music and the 3D special stages.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

The Genesis/Mega Drive already had a better library than the Jaguar would ever have and many of the best games were cheap and plentiful by then. The 32X adding Doom and VRDX at launch already made it a better "deal" than the Jaguar.

Of course I also prefered the worldwide library of the Mega Drive over any of the 32-bit generation libraries. But it doesn't matter which was a better deal overall, at the time both 32X and Jaguar Doom were a fair entry point for console gamers to experience Doom.

The SNES version was not worth experiencing as a game at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Outrunner

Between the two I would take the 32X library any day. I did enjoy Virtua Racing Deluxe even though I don't consider it a killer app for any system.

SNES doom was nearly unplayable, worst port I have seen.

Thread Information