Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genesis 1 Headphone Output Unreliable

Doubt itís the plates. Try cleaning the expansion port connections.

No change. I also tried tinfoil with no change lol.

Turning down the volume on the Genesis makes the tone go away, so it is localized to the Genesis. If I don't use the Sega CD mixer and output straight from the Genesis with medium volume, the tone goes away. It's a problem with the Genesis at high volumes.

Will keep investigating.

Problem resolved. The Genesis was using an aftermarket AC adapter and the Sega CD an original Sega adapter. I switched them, and now the output is whisper quiet.

Lol! Excellent news- glad you didnít give up!

Yep! I wonder why the aftermarket adapter was noisy on the Genesis but isnít on the Sega CD.

Maybe my trials will be helpful for someone experiencing these issues in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Yep! I wonder why the aftermarket adapter was noisy on the Genesis but isnít on the Sega CD.

Maybe my trials will be helpful for someone experiencing these issues in the future.
    I had scrolling static on my setup, and realized it was the Wall wart for my scart>yuv adapter. Swapping for one with a higher amperage fixed that. Eventually Iíll try a power trio adapter, but for now I use original recapped power supplies and leave the power strip off unless I am using the system. 2/3 of the adapters had leaking caps prior.

Good thing it wasnít your SCD voltage regulator- that thing looks a bit challenging chip to replace

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Problem resolved. The Genesis was using an aftermarket AC adapter and the Sega CD an original Sega adapter. I switched them, and now the output is whisper quiet.
    I've had that happen before. When I hooked up my model 1 to my HDTV I was getting some noise with the normally excellent Retrogamecave adapter, but when I had it only power the Sega CD while I used a stock adapter on the Genesis it was fine. I'm guessing it was some kind of ground loop.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

Thread Information