Quantcast

Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best looking 16 bit game? excluding Neo geo

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Adventures of Batman and Robin is wonderful but way too hard

I'd say "Contra Hard Corps" on Sega Genesis. "Super Metroid" also. Toss up between these two.

"Heart of the Alien" count? I know the Sega Cd is still part of the Sega Genesis but it adds a lot of computing capacity. Then there's "SoulStar". "Out of this World" on Snes is technically a very advanced port.

EDIT
    Surprised how nice most of those PCEngine games look from first few posts.
    Last edited by vexatious; 12-25-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Yohko16's Avatar

Screenshots are misleading.

Some self-proclaimed gamers think that visuals in video games are only made of colors which is a laughable statement. Video games aren't still pictures and even then, it's much more pleasant to look at a 4:3-shaped picture than a square-shaped one and only the Amiga and Mega Drive usually display a resolution with good ratio (320x256 pixels for the former and 320x224 pixels for the latter).

And aside from resolution and colors, visuals in video games are also made of sprites, scrollings, visual effects...

This is why this thread should be made of GIFs in 4:3 instead of raw screenshots. That would be the real deal and would showcase many points that I highlighted in my post here.

I will check how to make GIFs. Will be fun. And then I will post some of those here and will also do side-by-side comparisons...
    Last edited by Yohko16; 12-26-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Artwork is the most important part of game visuals.

Real animation is better than realtime effects, which are most often used as filler.

Artwork and animation are also what make the better looking MD and PCE games stand apart from SNES games.

But the best looking games are simply the games which look best. "Square" pixels are a very minor element, as all of the CPS 1, 2 & 3 + the many 32-bit generation console 2D games which run in vertical resolutions of 256 or higher than 320 pixels prove. Artwork and animation are also what set them apart from earlier 2D visuals.

Monster World IV is one of the best looking 16-bit console games because it strikes a great balance and shows how good frames are more important to plentiful frames of artwork animation.

Modern animation using computers to scale, rotate, stretch and squash individual parts of jumbles of 2D objects drives home how valuable traditional frames of proper artwork animation is.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Completely disagree.

Graphics is just part of a whole thing, a whole thing where resolution format, animation quality, scrolling depth or visual effects are just as important if not more depending of the games.

And visual effects were often done to genuinely impress people and bring something special. There are reasons why those often stand out and are often talked about. The only exception I'd say is in-game mode 7 effects, those often look bad but not always (Contra III bombing sequence during the first stage looks awesome!).

And about resolution, in the past 3 years I've compared lot of games and looking at screenshots in 320x224 pixels is more pleasant than looking at screenshots in 256x224 pixels and the difference is even more important once displayed in 4:3 since games in 320x224 still have good ratio while games in 256x224 look stretched with often wrong aspect ratio.

Monster World IV does look very good but it would look much better in 320x224 pixels. Wider screen estate and better aspect ratio. But back then some dev had to make compromises due to ROM size limitations and such.

I have like to add a few more

Lunar II - Mega CD. The game is like a 32bit production

Boogerman - Mega Drive. Some stunning animation

Evander Holyfield real deal boxing - Mega Drive - Massive sprites and I love the 360-degree rotation effect on the Backgrounds

Cliffhanger - Mega CD. The snowboard sections look and move as good as a classic SEGA scaler coin up

Wonderdog - Mega CD. HUGE sprites and tons of line and parallax scrolling effects

Son Of Chuck - Mega CD. Some loved 2D graphics
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Boogerman - Mega Drive. Some stunning animation
    Agreed. The game is rather impressive visually like most late gen cartoon games on Mega Drive. And the soundtrack is quite technical too (here in proper real hardware recording: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...22C43BDA943C19).

Evander Holyfield real deal boxing - Mega Drive - Massive sprites and I love the 360-degree rotation effect on the Backgrounds
    I discovered this one not so long ago and was indeed impressed and again the sound is also great!

edit: actually it was Greatest Heavyweights that I discovered but the one you mentioned seems similar.

Cliffhanger - Mega CD. The snowboard sections look and move as good as a classic SEGA scaler coin up
    Most if not all super scaler sequences on Mega-CD look awesome but sadly run in low resolution and average frame rate. But for the time nothing on competiting hardwares come close. Soul Star, Thunderhawk, Batman & Robin and the driving sequences in Batman Returns are my favorites.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Either the scanlines or the scaler settings have messed with the contrast and color, but this video still provides a good impression of Legend of Xanadu II's boss battles:

This is a collection of boss dialogue, but it's the best compilation video I found of the boss stages pf Legend of Xanadu:

Private Eye Doll looks more like a 32-bit game like Tengai Makyou The Apocalypse IV. This video is part of a longplay playlist:

This video of Anearth Fantasy Stories is low quality, but is part of a longplay playlist and gives a decent impression of what it looks like in motion:

This longplay of Beyond Shadowgate is'nt in the correct aspect ratio, but it's the the clearest one on youtube.

The death scenes montage at the end showcases the variety of animation.

Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Legend of Xanadu II's boss battles
    Looks very good. A very late RPG also as I've just noticed, even later than Lunar II or Chrono Trigger!

But one thing puzzles me: why only the last boss has CD music while all the others have chip music?! Also happens in the first Legend of Xanadu from what I can tell.

Private Eye Doll also looks great but also has chip music but here it's probably due to the amount of voices.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

It's a shame that the TG-16 bombed in the West. I have my TG-16 along with about 9 games. I was pretty envious of what was happening with the console in Japan and all of the games that never made it here.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Private Eye Doll looks more like a 32-bit game like Tengai Makyou The Apocalypse IV. This video is part of a longplay playlist:

https://youtu.be/Y0PfGAJHhQk
    Nah, I disagree, it still looks blatantly 16-bit. I think the big catch here may be the interface though (especially dialogue), the game is using a style that wouldn't become popular until the 5th generation which can indeed give that feeling. Would have been interesting to see more games earlier using that style.

Xanadu II looks impressive, really is.. I really love the artwork and the balance of colors.
    Some bkgs you fall in love at first glance.

But like most of pce comparisons and posts here, it just looks cool on screenshot..
    most of things dosen't have animation.. if have its not smooth.. and etc..

Wngs of Thunder is more well done and balanced, also the big enemys in majority have animation.

About 32 bit comparison is very hyped, you just got big animated portraits.. thats it.
    Snes comes more closers in this department, games like tales of phantasia and star ocean
    but guess what? Is rpg's games and about everything is static too.. so you can push colors and artwork and some fancy effects.

Like some users here said.. for me grafics is not a cool looking at magazine or in screenshot..
    you must play it, so animation, artwork, effects, everything is important.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Quote Originally Posted by Yohko16 View Post
    Agreed. The game is rather impressive visually like most late gen cartoon games on Mega Drive.
    Yes the game looked amazing and the MD version was the best too

I discovered this one not so long ago and was indeed impressed and again the sound is also great!
    Its the best boxing game ever made imo. I just find the scrolling and rotation effect in Evander Holyfield just to be that little better and smoother.

Most if not all super scaler sequences on Mega-CD look awesome but sadly run in low resolution and average frame rate. But for the time nothing on competiting hardware come close
    That ASIC chip was a beast for its time, sadly so little games used it. Not even the Neo Geo or FM Towns or Sharp X6800 could handle simultaneous sprite scaling and rotation to that of the Mega CD. John O Biren took the amazing Batman Returns 3D engine and improved it for Cliffhanger with smoother and faster scrolling and I even loved the tilt floor effect (like the floor in Samurai Showdown III) when you jumped
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Lets go deeper with this PCE hype..

The first Legend of Xanadu was launched at 1994 for PCE Super CD Rom,
    now lest compare with something similar like Lunar 2 launched in same year also for a add on CD plataform.
    Plus i tried to put Legend of Xanadu 2 too from 1995, but its complete diferent style.. but i tried
    *I didn't put snes here because these games is for a Cd rom plataform and its just not fair in my opinion.

The highlight of Xanadu series on PCE is the boss Fights, when the game really shines.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Thread Information