Quantcast

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best looking 16 bit game? excluding Neo geo

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    So we can't have Neo Geo, but can have the Super expensive Sharp PC, that next to no one ever played or saw back in the day... Seems fair
    Lets add CPS2 too. X-Men Children of the Atom look insane for a late 1994 game. Shits all over any other 2D game from that year, including Killer Instinct.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid87 View Post
    Red Zone and Alien Storm.

On SNES, Actraiser 2 looks on par with PS1 Symphony of the Night.
    red zone has to be by far the best looking megadrive game. can anyone explain to me how they pulled that one off? looks far better than anything on snes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    red zone has to be by far the best looking megadrive game. can anyone explain to me how they pulled that one off? looks far better than anything on snes as well.
    Zyrinx are from the Amiga demo scene, so they know all kinds of programming tricks, especially on the 68000. They even made Sub Terrania without any kind of official Sega SDK or support which is crazy considered how good and polished that game is.
    Last edited by Orchid87; 06-15-2018 at 02:29 AM.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid87 View Post
    Zyrinx are from the Amiga demo scene, so they know all kinds of programming tricks, especially on the 68000. They even made Sub Terrania without any kind of official Sega SDK or support which is crazy considered how good and polished that game is.
    ah that makes a lot of sense since the amiga demo scene was crazy and they had similar processors at least. the whole red zone game has a big demo scene vibe over it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post

Arcade quality graphics!

Absurd sprite counts!

Decent 3D!
    Well, the X68000 has the hardware basis for CPSP2 development.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    So we can't have Neo Geo, but can have the Super expensive Sharp PC, that next to no one ever played or saw back in the day... Seems fair
    I think it's mainly to prevent the obvious fanboys from adding the entire SNK library in one go.

Although if I wanted to cheap out the same way, I'd say that just about every time a PC-98 game tries to do visuals they completely trash every 16-bit console in the looks department. It has a low color count (16 colors) but the high resolution (640400) has a tendency to completely wreck over any limitations you'd expect from that (dithering becomes fine enough that it actually starts being perceived as solid shades, and this was used to great effect for the sake of shading - and the higher resolution means that silhouette borders stop sticking out badly).

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

All the PC-98 games with any amount of animation require a 32 bit CPU or they cut the resolution in half, or both.

Best at static images sure, but that's about it. (Heck, even for those the Amiga does way better at low resolutions)
    Last edited by Kamahl; 06-15-2018 at 12:08 PM.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

People don't normally have to add extra dislaimers in classic gaming forums and particularly 16-bit console-based forums, that saying "16-bit" without disclaimers implies the 16-bit console generation. Not Intellivision, arcade games or random computers.

Too often threads like this quickly get derailed and the off topic filler discourages people who haven't posted yet from contributing.

What would be cool to see is posts with pics and clips of some of the nicest looking 16-bit (console generation) games.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Outrunner

Does Galaxy Force II from arcade qualify? Damn this game is impressive visually.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    People don't normally have to add extra dislaimers in classic gaming forums and particularly 16-bit console-based forums, that saying "16-bit" without disclaimers implies the 16-bit console generation. Not Intellivision, arcade games or random computers.

Too often threads like this quickly get derailed and the off topic filler discourages people who haven't posted yet from contributing.

What would be cool to see is posts with pics and clips of some of the nicest looking 16-bit (console generation) games.
    The list of expected systems is stated right in the first post (and it includes the Amiga, which is not a console).

Slight derails are part of the fun. The OP remembered to strike out the Neo Geo (which would instantly win) but forgot the X68000 which is about as powerful.
    Nothing wrong with poking a little fun at that.

EDIT: On topic, while I don't think it is the best looking 16 bit game (SoulStar is, like I mentioned previously), Alien Soldier is probably the best looking MD game:

The huge sprites, the multi-jointed bosses, some crazy special effects, all at a smooth as silk 60 fps.

Batman and Robin is also pretty insane, but the smaller sprites and more repetitive environments make me give the win to Alien Soldier.
    Last edited by Kamahl; 06-15-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Banned by Administrators

Some of you focus too much on the technical side of things (not that anything is wrong with that, as they do affect interest in graphics too), whereas me I'm more interested in the art style and colours.

What would be your SNES pick Thief? There isn't really anything with an art/animation combo on the level of Aladdin (EWJ2 is close I guess but the backgrounds are too boring).

Castle of Illusion on the Genesis blew me away back in the day.
    05/05/15

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    What would be your SNES pick Thief? There isn't really anything with an art/animation combo on the level of Aladdin (EWJ2 is close I guess but the backgrounds are too boring).
    EWJ2 is still a Genesis/MD game and i think it looks better there too, if you exclude some cool exclusive background effects the SNES has.

When i think of hand drawn animation, my mind goes to Genesis/Mega Drive. Just about every game that has the "professional cartoonist animation" style looks better there. Is it because it's the target platform for all these games for some reason? Is it because of the faster CPU? I don't know.

SNES gives me a more chunky "fat sprite work" vibe, with loads of shading and detail that gives everything more depth but Genesis/MD gives me a more "graceful movement" vibe, with sprites that feel lighter and more responsive to move around (probably why cartoon animation feels better, i still can't put my finger on it).

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

More SNES vs Genesis specs talk,gah
    Last edited by SegataS; 06-16-2018 at 01:11 PM.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thread Information