Quantcast

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031

Thread: What is the best looking 16 bit game? excluding Neo geo

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Also have to say this game looked amazing at the time, with the smoothest polygon graphics I had seen on any system when it came out

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Also have to say this game looked amazing at the time, with the smoothest polygon graphics I had seen on any system when it came out
    For me No Second Prize is the most impressive polygonal game on Amiga 500:

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Folco View Post
    For me No Second Prize is the most impressive polygonal game on Amiga 500:

I would go with Robocop 3 myself, but what was great about Jimmy White was not just the stunning smooth 3D polygons, but the maths and physics under the hood. It really did play like real Snooker and the ball physics were spot on. You can play the game and it would better your own game in real life. I'm not sure how big Snooker was in the USA, but in the UK during the 80 and 90's it was huge and used the play it loads in the local pub
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Pier Solar has a lot of great graphics, despite my blabbing about how I can't get into SD style characters in general. Beyond that, Pier Solar's artwork and colors are generally great, throughout the whole game.

Environments: generally detailed, unique, colorful. I haven't played the game for a few yrs but I remember loving walking thru the forest with sunlight effects, for example.

A lot of special effects just for the sake of special effects. There's that energy-beam effect, pretty often, and it always looks cool.

Love the title screen, the very start of sparkles... seems like Sonic 2, before Pier Solar's title screen appears with scaling effects. I think it has leaves flying by the title screen IIRC.

The Bomberman clone looks OK and at least is great for being a functional, and fun clone. (I always wanted to play Genesis Bomberman, but I never saw a copy, and so this clone game is very much appreciated.)

Love the mode-7 flying bonus stage. In the past, I had all the locations mostly memorized.

I should really dust off my copy and give it another play-through.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I would go with Robocop 3 myself, but what was great about Jimmy White was not just the stunning smooth 3D polygons, but the maths and physics under the hood. It really did play like real Snooker and the ball physics were spot on. You can play the game and it would better your own game in real life. I'm not sure how big Snooker was in the USA, but in the UK during the 80 and 90's it was huge and used the play it loads in the local pub
    Robocop 3 framerate is sensibly lower than No Second Prize.
    No Second Prize framerate is incredible for an Amiga 500.

This is probably the best-looking horse in that generation (large and smooth animation)
    https://twitter.com/RetroGifMonster/...99394823929856

I just wish the rider was also animated as well as the horse itself.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Alien Soldier goes totally overboard with multi-jointed sprites, I love it.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Yeah, I agree with that. Iím not a big fan of the game, but it does have some crazy bosses and speed.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Yohko16's Avatar

So many posts since I last browsed this thread. I didn't read them all but I know for sure that I much prefer what I see here on the right than what's on the left!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    Maybe you can tell that i become crazy, but side by side, like a said.. dosen't looks bad.

Both games have great graphics but the higher resolution of the Mega Drive provides a more pleasant visual experience, as usual, thanks to wider screen estate and also better aspect ratio once those games would be displayed in 4:3.

Also why does that SNES RPG has a black border all around the screen? This further hurts the presentation! Couldn't the SNES handle this game fullscreen???

And I'm pretty sure that Phantasy Star IV was done by a smaller team and during a shorter time... Would have been interesting to see what Squaresoft could have done on Mega Drive or Mega-CD...

BTW those Mega-CD super scaler games never cease to amaze me, they look so good and ahead of their time! Batman Returns, Battlecorps and Soulstar might be my favorites among those.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohko16 View Post
    Also why does that SNES RPG has a black border all around the screen? This further hurts the presentation! Couldn't the SNES handle this game fullscreen???
    This is a recurring issue with Square's RPGs and we still have no clue why they resorted to that (I think those games use a smaller tilemap that barely fills the screen and they're using the borders to hide the resulting scrolling issues, but it's quite dumbÖ)

Thread Information