Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HD Retrovision with or without OSSC or with?

Default HD Retrovision with or without OSSC or with?

A few years ago I kickstarted the HD Retrovision cable. It never worked on the crappy HDTV I had. Recently we bought a Samsung and I thought what the heck I'll try those again. It's beautiful!
    It reminds me of the quality my Retro AVS puts out for the NES.

Now I've been reading about the OSSC. Could this enhance my experience? I'm not detecting any lag currently.

Do you have any current issues with your setup?

Quote Originally Posted by ironnick23 View Post
    Do you have any current issues with your setup?
    At the moment no. I haven't played my Genesis on a CRT in over a year. I'm wondering if I would detect more lag had I been more fresh off a CRT experience.

It's called a Mega Drive Master of Shinobi Devil N's Avatar

In your situation I don't think the OSSC will matter much. It might look a teeny tiny bit sharper with it, but in general newer Samsung HDTV's handle 240p over Component very well. The OSSC is primarily meant for TV's that either don't detect 240p signals properly (trying to deinterlace them as if they were 480i, or just not working at all), or for those that don't have analog inputs anymore.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

If you want pixel perfect scaling, then get an OSSC. When set up right, you get the sharpest scaling possible on an HDTV.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I think that it really depends on the quality of the processor inside of your display. A cheap display will have a slow processor with very few image display options, while a higher end one will have a superior processor and more resolution options.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

http://imgur.com/LzjlPQA

My scart>yuv on my plasma overall looks pretty sweet. I notice it a slight delay with moving sprites though, like there are half pixels. Could this be resolved with an OSSC?

Had to use 240p test suite to calibrate the colors, especially the green while using the grayscale mode and color bleed on the blue color.

I would get your hands on the suite to see how the tests hold up.

Edit: Iíve read on the HD cables website that this delay is known as a comb effect, and itís a result of 240p not being processed correctly over component.

I would see if you are running into any of the common issues- they go into detail explaining them. If no, I donít see a need for an Upscaler
    Last edited by ironnick23; 06-21-2018 at 09:51 PM.

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

If you're happy with what you have, just leave it and don't jump down the rabbit hole. On my setup my HDTV has a pretty good scaler when being fed 240p component input, the only real advantage I get with the OSSC is that I can add scanlines and mask the edges around Genesis and NES stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

My HDTV is also able to accept the 240p signals from both my SNES and my N64RGB (etim's). They both look great with HD Retrovision cables. I even did a simple component mod for my SNES which literally outputs the exact same quality video as the HD Retrovision cables do.

However with the Genesis, the colors are all wrong and it doesn't accept Sonic 2's two player mode at all. Also, when I use an expansion pak w/ my N64RGB and there's constant switching between 240p and 480i the TV will take at least a second to switch resolutions (which is perfectly normal for an HDTV).

I'm wondering if I should get an OSSC for both my Genesis and for my N64RGB. How does it handle the constant switching between 240p and 480i? I know I can just leave in a jumper pak instead but I'm still curious if I can use the Hi-Rez 480i modes on the OSSC.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

The OSSC handles resolution switching as fast as your TV can do it. It doesn't have a framebuffer, so whatever it spits out is based on what it is fed. Having said that, I cannot recommend the OSSC enough. Completely replaced my Framemeister.

How future prior is the OSSC for when 4K becomes commonplace? I still use a plasma from 2008, and the heat that thing gives off is brutal.

My only issue with the OSSC is that I don't have an easy way to run my s-composite and s-video stuff through it. Sure it has component and SCART inputs, but that would mean that I have to get everything RGB modded up to use component or SCART and then purchase component or SCART video selectors to run into it and back into the TV. I've already got quite a lot invested in my old tech setup I have now with composite and s-video through my SX-700 selector and then other stuff to eventually make it to my HDTV in HDMI. Yes there is about 4 - 6 fps of lag but you do get used to that believe it or not, and my current TV will only accept the 240p from the Genesis and Saturn. Won't accept 240p from the SMS or SNES so I've not tried it with anything else beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaranar View Post
    The OSSC handles resolution switching as fast as your TV can do it. It doesn't have a framebuffer, so whatever it spits out is based on what it is fed. Having said that, I cannot recommend the OSSC enough. Completely replaced my Framemeister.
    OK. Stupid question and I have tried to research this with google searches but I'm not finding a definitive answer.

Does OSSC handling resolution switching as fast as my TV can mean that if I'm experiencing lag with my HD Retrovision cables it will still be there with the OSSC?

Thanks!

Yes from what I gather. By lag you mean the time it takes to switch from one resolution to another?

Quote Originally Posted by Xaranar View Post
    I don't understand, so does that mean the OSSC won't help and that my HDTV will still have to switch between resolutions with the 1 second delay, even when using the OSSC? Or can the OSSC be made to always just output 480p without there being any drop in signal when resolutions in certain N64 games change on the fly?

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    My only issue with the OSSC is that I don't have an easy way to run my s-composite and s-video stuff through it. Sure it has component and SCART inputs, but that would mean that I have to get everything RGB modded up to use component or SCART and then purchase component or SCART video selectors to run into it and back into the TV. I've already got quite a lot invested in my old tech setup I have now with composite and s-video through my SX-700 selector and then other stuff to eventually make it to my HDTV in HDMI. Yes there is about 4 - 6 fps of lag but you do get used to that believe it or not, and my current TV will only accept the 240p from the Genesis and Saturn. Won't accept 240p from the SMS or SNES so I've not tried it with anything else beyond that.
    While I agree that the OSSC would've been even better if it had an S-Video input and that it would have been very convenient for my Genesis 32X setup instead of having to buy a SCART cable for it, I disagree with your logic of getting used to 4 - 6 frames of lag, no offense. I always figured that if I'm using real hardware and have that much input lag from an upscaler device, I may as well not even bother using real hardware and instead just use emulation. And there's actually emulators out there with less input lag than that.

Thread Information