Quantcast

Thread: Sega Cd model 1 fidelity on the model 2

Default Sega Cd model 1 fidelity on the model 2

Apparently the model 1 Sega cd sounds a bit more “boomy” and has less of a filter than the model 2.

Would it be simply a matter of changing some filtering caps on the PCB?

Has anyone observed differences in the sound quality or in the physical components of the audio circuitry of both models?

The model 1 and 2 have the same audio circuitry. The CDX has a slightly different DAC model.

https://console5.com/wiki/Sega_CD_v1

https://console5.com/wiki/Sega_CD_v2

Interesting. Maybe the differences people are hearing are simply from the different MD models they are using.

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

That's possible. The audio is also slightly different if you pull audio from the Genesis or the Sega CD's RCA ports due to slightly different filtering. I was messing around with a repaired VA4 Model 2 paired with a Model 2 genesis and although in the past I have favored pulling audio from the Sega CD I actually preferred using the Genesis multi out's audio on that setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

I misread an article, basically the author was saying he used a model 1 md with the original Sega cd and compared to a model 2 with the scd2.

My current setup is a model 1 va3 w/ model 2 scd and it sounds pretty sweet. (Volume at 7.5)

Thinking how Sega Saturn in a sense took a lot of design elements from the tower of power, I’m wondering now what difference there is as a CD player to the SCD, or even the Dreamcast. Say the fidelity on those models are superior, what are the chances the audio circuit is similiar with a few minor changes? Comparing playback from a scd to a Saturn, and if there’s potentially an improvement, would be cool to implement that into the SCD

The CD audio DAC on the Sega CD was ok for the time. It is 16-bit oversampling. The Sanyo chip was used in various JVC players of the era. The filtering could be better. You can read the data sheets for specifics like THD if you’re interested.

The later Saturns and Dreamcast used all-in-one bitstream (1-bit) codec solutions from Burr-Brown. Early Saturns used an awful Philips chip. More than anything it would be a waste of their CD drives using them for mediocre audio. The DC was clearly not intended for CD playback, it doesn’t even have controls without video.

The fat ps3 is amazing for ripping audio, and I hear highly of the ps1. I was unaware the playback of the DC was for cd playback poor. I know people who love the interface of the Saturn for playback. I’m unaware of which console from early cd days has the best quality playback.

Suppose I wanted to improve the audio quality to that extent in the SCD, you don’t recommend some kind of Dac or replacement of the Sanyo chip, but rather the filtering could be improved? I’m not particularly familiar with the SCD audio circuit, aside from there being an improved synth chip? And a seperare circuit for redbook.

The chip that plays the tunes in “Dune” for example sound pretty sweet. The WAV files stored on disc are lossless to my knowledge, though in the case of sound effects and voice samples such as in Popful mail or Silpheed how are they stored and played back? Improving the audio filtering may not show improvement in those two areas though the soundtrack improvement would be welcome.
    Last edited by ironnick23; 06-19-2018 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ironnick23 View Post
    The fat ps3 is amazing for ripping audio, and I hear highly of the ps1. I was unaware the playback of the DC was for cd playback poor.
    Ripping has nothing to do with audio circuitry. Not to mention, the only reason people say the PS3 is good at ripping audio (in hushed whispers) is because early revisions of the PS3 were cracked to be able to rip SACDs, an otherwise unrippable media. A computer with no sound card can rip a CD perfectly. The PS1 is objectively garbage as a CD player compared to actual quality components. Just look at that roll off!

These are video game consoles, not audio components. They are not designed for good audio reproduction, nor to be connected to high quality components. I don't think changing a few caps would change much of anything.

What about changing the DAC/op amp? it appears the SCD2 has a LC7883K Sanyo and a LC78815M Sanyo with a JrC 3403a op amp.

Swapping for the WM87588G Wolfson DAC and LMH6629 op amp... I haven’t checked data sheets to see how incompatible they are, though the idea of listening to the Ecco soundtrack on a high fidelity scd doesn’t sound too far out of reach

Maybe looking into comparing circuitry with this 16-bit JVC player could provide insight to how to improve the SCD audio quality?

www.highfidelityreview.com/jvc-xl-z1050tn.html

It appears this player was a beast back in 1990. I would imagine the components are much more likely to be compatible

I’ve already changed the caps to nichicon fine gold and elna caps. I was hoping some audiophile did some tests and could provide some insight to improving the cd audio playback

Does the CDX sound better regarding the CD based games?what about cartridges?

Thread Information