Quantcast

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Genny Revision Thread

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

Default The Genny Revision Thread

This is for American systems only, AND Model 1's only.

Please help me finish this list. This was on another forum but that forum closed down.

(Revision numbers are not the real revision numbers. But it's easier than just calling it "that version".)

Revision 1:
    (Electrical Aspect)

Main CPU: Signetics
    Audio Quality: Excellent
    TMSS?: No
    EXT Port?: Yes
    GLU Chip: 2-Chips
    (Physical Aspect)
    EXT Port Spot?: Yes
    Genesis Logo: 2-Shade Grey
    LED Bezel: Ring (Red Plastic Is Part Of It)
    Feet: Rubber/Plastic
    HD-Graphics?: Yes
    Notes: Motherboard Can't Be Overclocked
    Mainboard Picture: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...dragon/sys.jpg

Revision 1.5:
    (Electrical Aspect)

Main CPU: Unknown
    Audio Quality: Excellent
    TMSS?: Yes
    EXT Port?: Yes
    GLU Chip: 1-Chip
    (Physical Aspect)
    Genesis Logo: Unknown
    LED Bezel: Unknown
    Feet: Unknown
    HD-Graphics?: Yes
    Picture: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...agon/SEGA6.jpg
    (Picture provided by Sashi on the Electronics Forum)

Revision 2:
    (Electrical Aspect)

Main CPU: Motorola / Hitachi (More?)
    Audio Quality: Good
    EXT Port?: No (Has Solder Pads However)
    GLU Chip: 1-Chip
    (Physical Aspect)
    Genesis Logo: Monochrome
    LED Bezel: Red Removable Plastic
    Feet: Plastic
    HD-Graphics?: No
    Picture: AWOL (At the Moment, I'm looking for the picture.)

Revision 3:
    (Electrical Aspect)

Main CPU: Hitachi (More?)
    Audio Quality: Poor
    EXT Port?: No
    GLU Chip: All-In-One (Contains YM2612 and VDP)
    (Physical Aspect)
    EXT Port Spot?: No
    Genesis Logo: Monochrome
    LED Bezel: Red Removable Plastic
    Feet: Plastic
    HD-Graphics?: No
    Notes: This model is VERY closely related to the Model 2 Genesis.
    Mainboard Picture: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/latemd12.jpg
    Last edited by evildragon; 10-15-2007 at 05:55 PM.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

Go demon or go home Master of Shinobi AD2101's Avatar

Hmm I haven't opened up my genny yet but going by this list it would be a Revision 1.5. The Genesis logo is grey with a white border and the feet are plastic. If I ever get unlazy ill open it up and post pictures.

Does it have TMSS? If so, it's a rev 1.5.

I'm actually thinking theres a revision between 1.5 and 1...
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

I think I have a 1.5 that I picked up at a thrift store. The CPU is definitely Motorola (and you can see the logo in the picture provided to you that you posted as well).

What does 'HD-graphics' mean?

It means it does what Nintendont.

Nah, seriously, for this, it means that the bezel on the casing says "High Definition Graphics".

That's what I figured, but I erroneously thought those were JAP models only.

I think the JAP units say "High AV Terminal" or something like that. Not sure.

The Mega Drives have something about "Intelligent Terminal". It's bizarre and cheesy, and therefore totally rocks!

I had always held the "High Definition Graphics" Genesis models in high regard since first knowing of their existence, seeing as I've only ever owned Revision 2/3 Model 1's. I was intrigued by the lack of that TMSS crap (the first Genny I ever played on was a HDG-era model) and the mystique of having HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS imprinted on the bezel of my Genesis! Alas, I never got to own one during my game collection days, Revision 2's and 3's are always easier to come by. Is it because there were more of those produced than HDG models or because many HDG was deteriorated or died over time?

Over a period of about six years I had bought and owned 6-7 Genesis:

3 Model 1's (all non-HDG, first one was my first-ever one from back in late '95; died circa-1997, second one was kept as extra; early 2001-early 2006, third one I bought and returned over a weekend in 2001 due to NOT being a HDG model)

3 Model 2's (first was given to me after first Model 1 died circa-1997; simply LEFT IT IN THE GARBAGE W/MODEL 2 SEGA CD ATTACHED AND MORTAL KOMBAT 3 CART PLUGGED IN late 1998; second one bought in Feb. 2001; sold off for $20-ish in early 2002, 3rd one bought March 2002; mostly set it aside two weeks later..........when I stumbled upon emulation. Last Genny model I bought.

1 Model 3 (bought new in Spring 1999 at Toys R' Us for $20, sent it to a younger cousin in my native country later that fall. I've heard he and sis enjoyed it for quite a while............sent the bastard my prized copies of Forgotten Worlds, Ghouls 'N Ghosts, Sega Classics SoR1, Sonic 2 through Knuckles and more, he better have enjoyed it!)

I had gone through numerous bouts of "Genesis Fever" between '95-'04 that I usually ended by purging myself of the system and it's games, then later starting over again when I caught it. Never has a console had me at it's throes like that. And this was while I owned and was playing then-modern systems like PS1, N64 & Dreamcast. I went through my final bout of fever in summer '04 when I bought a complete "Dynamite Headdy" ($4) and a NEW, genuinely sealed copy of "Virtua Racing" ($10) as the cornerstones of a potential new collection. Turns out the VR cart was DEAD past the Sega logo (it was genuinely new and shrink-wrapped from '94 though) and well........emulation spoiled me. I sold all of my Genny stuff plus 90% of my collection (cornerstone being a new, untouched Japanese "Derby Stallion" Sega Saturn I bought for $120 back in 2002, w/ 4 new games and an extra pad) for a huge loss considering some of the stuff I owned (got $230 for the whole sheband), purged myself of everything cartridge-related, freed up a lot of space and invested the money towards misc. stuff and crack cocaine.

Yup.........run-of-the-mill story here. As far as that Model 2/SCD (latter which I bought used and in mint condition from FuncoLand for $10, yahoo) combo, I simply threw it away because Genesis and especially Sega CD games had dried up momentarily here in NYC in 1998. I never realized my dream of owning a copy of "Sonic CD".......only managed to score "Cliffhanger" (nice snowboarding levels, powered by SCD Batman Returns engine etc.) and "Silpheed" (screen saver shooter, nice music though) for the SCD.

On an unrelated note, were and are VR carts notorious for malfunctioning or dying? Mines came dead in the box, having been shrink-wrapped and unused for over a decade!
    Last edited by Aarzak; 10-15-2007 at 09:45 PM.

Wow. That's a pretty disastrous history. You sold all that stuff because you switched to emulation? Yowch.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Aarzak, do you own/play anything other than the Genesis? haha
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight
    Wow. That's a pretty disastrous history. You sold all that stuff because you switched to emulation? Yowch.
    Nope, it was but a small factor I admit. I had been planning on building a collection of Genesis/SNES games on top of my existing collection (Genesis: 20-odd games, SNES: 29-30 games) of just the BEST OF THE BEST games for both systems, and shuffling out all of the crap I owned. Turns out I had finally ran out of space in my small bedroom and even smaller closet so that stopped my plans dead in it's tracks after buying just 4 games (2 Genesis, 2 SNES). Afterwards, something just had to give within my closet. Things remained at a standstill for over a year until I was weeks away from starting (local)college and in dire need of money. I wouldn't have gotten jack for my magazine collection (at least not immediately, and even still not much) and I was still in need of space for clothes, shoes and other things so I went on ahead and sold most of my game collection to a reknowned classic gaming store in NYC at a loss. I only kept my Sega Dreamcast and all of it's peripherals and games, intending to start up a new, CD-only (as far as consoles go) collection in the future when I can find the space for it; it's a factor why I more or less skipped out on the past console generation.

Yeah, too much information but just don't want nobody getting the wrong idea. I love emulation and the wonders and games I've been introduced to because of it, but I was still intending to build my cart collection despite it. Such plans were and are still too ambitious for a broke, often hungry, bummy-dressing college student so I just sold it all, wisely used the little money I got from it and opened up the space for a more streamlined, tighter collection in the far off future. For the last year-and-a-half I've been doing way more talking and discussing about classic and modern gaming then..........actually playing. So TAKE THAT INTER-TOAD! *sits smugly on chair, lights up crack-pipe*

..........Yeah, I'm damage-controlling a little, but believe me it did pain me to sell off my collection (ESPECIALLY my Derby Saturn, which due to have been previously opened by me was considered USED so they only gave me $30 for it........I handed it away still) even though it was off to good hands and absorbed into a store whose classic gaming library is massive and varied (Atari 2600-present) yet OVERPRICED to hell. To those of you who live in, near or have been to NYC: the name of the store was previously "Multimedia 1.0" and "St. Marks Games" but is now called "VideoGamesNewYork". One of the handful of notable indie game stores in NYC which sell classic stuff.

For the last year-and-a-half I've been doing way more talking and discussing about classic and modern gaming then..........actually playing.
    I don't think you're alone there. (LOL at the inter-toads!)

You know, you should do a Stories from the book of Genesis on this whole saga. You've clearly got the style, so why not put it to good use? Anyway, off topic. Sorry, evildragon.

Post audio clips from the first and last revision, so I can hear the difference between "Excellent" and "Poor", pretty please!
    Got Pier Solar? Good. Please post a comment here.

Thread Information