Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zero Wing - Broken Score Fix

The attachment gives back an error.

Anyway, I just watched some footage on Youtube and noticed that when you fight the final boss a dome-shaped enemy with a skull inside comes out from its hull and tries to ram the player. This single enemy is worth 15.000 points alone and you can kill lots of it as you try to kill the boss.

What I find most amusing is that since it's rather tricky to get through the last boss it's quite common to keep gaining lives by dying over and over without the intention to milk the boss forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kollision View Post
    The attachment gives back an error.
    I fixed the attachment.

Not really sure what's the best way to fix this, so I'll just post the Game Genie codes I've made so far and you can test them and see if they'll work.

These are for Zero Wing (Europe) (Game Genie)

GA8A-AA5A
    Disables both extra life score bonuses. You will not receive any extra lives, no matter how high your score is. Can be turned on or off at anytime (meaning you can leave it off for the first 7 stages, then turn it on for the final stage if you'd like).

AEFT-AAB6
    Raises the score needed to receive the first extra life score bonus from 70,000 to 170,000. Code must be turned on when you start a new game (probably won't work if you use this code with a saved game). I can adjust this code to give you any score value you want. The second extra life score bonus would still be 100,000 points above this (@ 270,000).

AJ8A-AADT
    Raises the score needed to receive the second extra life score bonus from 100,000 to 200,000. This may effectively make it impossible to get the second extra life bonus since you would need 270,000 points (not familiar with the game, so not sure about this). This code needs to be turned on before you reach the score level of the first extra life bonus (ie. before you reach 70,000 points). I can adjust this code to give you any score value you want.

=========

Since it would take too long to test these score modifier codes with the actual values, I've only tested them using much lower values, but they worked fine. Let me know if there are any problems. Will work on more codes this weekend unless these codes are good enough.

EDIT: Also, I only tested these codes on stage 1. I will test them on stage 8 when I get time.
    Last edited by Tony H; 08-11-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Zero Wing (Europe) (Game Genie)

ABYA-AACW
    The dome-shaped enemy with a skull inside (that you fight several of at the last boss on stage 8) gives you zero points (instead of 15,000).
    Last edited by Tony H; 08-11-2018 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony H View Post

ABYA-AACW
    The dome-shaped enemy with a skull inside (that you fight several of at the last boss on stage 8) gives you zero points (instead of 15,000).
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

CONGRATURATIONS
    YOU HAD CHANCE TO SURVIVE YOU MADE YOUR TIME

Road Rasher

ABYA-AACW
    Oh, yeah! Can't believe you managed to do it! Can't thank you enough for that. Now we'll be able to play this game properly

Rep given

ABYA-AACW
    Is this the only code needed to fix the game? Or should I use the other first 3 GG codes also?

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    Is this the only code needed to fix the game? Or should I use the other first 3 GG codes also?
    The others will know for sure, but I think you only need that one code (the last code I posted). In other words, yes, that's the only code you should need.

A quick note on one of the first codes I posted. The code that changed the amount of points needed for the first extra life score bonus doesn't appear to work on stage eight. It works on the first stage, but that's not much help.

I could make another code like that that works on stage eight, but probably not necessary since the code that gives you zero points for the "skull" enemy seems to have solved the problem.

Ok, thanks!

Tony H never fail to amaze us with their Game Genie codes!!!
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

Thread Information