Quantcast

Thread: Fighters Megamix

Saturn Fighters Megamix

Sega took the best of its fighting game efforts and molded them into one of the best brawlers of the 32-bit era (or any, for that matter). A huge cast of characters from Fighting Vipers, Virtua Fighter, and even Virtua Cop come together to create one incredible battle experience. Have a Saturn? Then simply put, you need this game. Read our full review for more details.

Hero of Algol

Very good and informative review.

Not a 10/10 game IMO though.

WCPO Agent

Megamix is a treat, but in the end it is closer to Fighting Vipers than Virtua Fighter, which is the source of all my problems with the game. The gameplay is too button mash-y like Vipers, the sound effects suck, and the music restarts every round. Visually it is great but the framerate notably suffers on the Vipers levels that have walls (especially the boxing ring with the changing lightning).

Even if you change the gameplay type to Virtua Fighter, the game doesn't play that much like Virtua Fighter. It might be because it has all the VF3 moves, I dunno. But it might be because half the cast (the Vipers crew) is now overpowered with their much higher stamina and button spam combos.

It's still a great game with tons of content, and a huge treat for the fans of either series, but gameplay wise it's not as tight as VF2 or even Kids.

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

I have some fondness for Vipers, and even Sonic the Fighters (since two of the characters are in Megmix). However, I'll still admit their move sets are very poorly conceived compared to Virtua Fighter. My only real gripe about the Saturn port of VF2 was the lack of an onscreen command list or training mode like what you see in Vipers and Megamix. That feature was incredibly convenient and helpful. Still, Megamix is a decent game and I do agree it's one of the most interesting fighters on the system, if not for Vipers, then for the crazy unlockable characters. From what I remember though, you can't select stages, only courses with randomly picked arenas.

Sports Talker

8/10 for me. Itís great fun with lots of replay value with all the unlockable characters and various courses.
    But like mentioned above itís not as tight as Virtua Fighter and feels more like a Fighting Vipers featuring Virtua Fighter characters. Not that Fighting Vipers isnít a good time I actually enjoy FV more for quick bursts but if getting down and serious itís VF2 or Last Bronx.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Not a 10/10 game IMO though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sut View Post
    8/10 for me.
    I might not have rated it a full 10 either at one time, but the more I examine what the game offers and the obvious attention and effort that Sega put into this game, any criticisms evaporate. Frankly I like FMM a lot more than Last Bronx. It also has become more fun and enjoyable to me than the amazing Saturn VF2, and shouldn't be docked points for "not being VF2". SEGA-16 uses whole number review scores, so if a reviewer deems a game as deserving a better score than a 9, then i guess it's a 10. I hope the review text explains well why it was felt that the game is a great piece of software and a 10 was deserved, but of course others will feel differently, especially those who love super deep fighters like VF.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
    I might not have rated it a full 10 either at one time, but the more I examine what the game offers and the obvious attention and effort that Sega put into this game, any criticisms evaporate.
    This is not a rational analysis though. The criticisms exposed in this thread are based on game flaws that will certainly not evaporate, no matter how much we all love Sega and its games.
    I really would like to see less 10/10 scores than we had we the early MD reviews. I like to believe that we've evolved since 2005 and that we're not as biased as people would tell based on the name of the site.

Also, you can't objectively measure how much effort Sega put into it. Those are assumptions.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

Disagree, but not wanting to argue much further. The only criticisms I see "exposed in this thread" are disappointments that FMM isn't VF2 or LB. That might be a valid argument for a VF sequel or port, if thats how a person feels. But just as FV was a different take on fighting gameplay than VF , so is FMM. FMM isn't dumbed down to Smash Bros or Powerstone 2 levels, but it does offer an initially simpler style of gameplay, more accessible and easier to pick up and play to those gamers who don't have the time or desire to master the deeper subtleties found in some fighters. But FMM does have plenty of depth to explore in single or multiplayer modes, and an overabundance of content. FMM is a much better game, to me, than FV. It is on par with Saturn VF2 , as a whole package. I'd have no issue with giving VF2 a 10 as well. Maybe.

Flaws may not evaporate just because I enjoy a game, but my initial criticisms certainly do evaporate. I see no major flaws in this game. For example, some like to mention a bit of slowdown in the one stage which has extra dramatic light sourcing, that is not a noteworthy flaw. What that is, like the lower rez of this game in general, is a compromise. If the entire game had gameplay breaking frame rate problems, that would surely be a flaw that would cause me to enjoy the game less, and rate it lower.

So, sorry if you feel the score is too high. There are no perfect games. But in FMM, I see a game that uses the Saturn to the peak of it's ability and it's an amazingly fun and impressive game to boot. I love the extra characters and inclusion of VF3 moves too! I cant rate it a 9.25 or a 9.5 here. So ...10.
    Last edited by Cafeman; 07-13-2018 at 12:06 PM.

Sports Talker

I meant no criticism of the review. I thought it was well written and you make your points well.
    For me personally Iíd give it an 8. I think FMM is a lot more fun than Last Bronx as well, but the point I was trying to make is that Last Bronx feels Ďtighterí than FMM that does not mean better necessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    This is not a rational analysis though. The criticisms exposed in this thread are based on game flaws that will certainly not evaporate, no matter how much we all love Sega and its games.
    I really would like to see less 10/10 scores than we had we the early MD reviews. I like to believe that we've evolved since 2005 and that we're not as biased as people would tell based on the name of the site.

Also, you can't objectively measure how much effort Sega put into it. Those are assumptions.
    Can't say I disagree with this. When I think of a "10", I think "undeniable classic" - A gem of a game that holds up through the test of time, and is fantastic to play in any era; Not everyone is going to see a "10", but it's reasonable to understand why many would. To me, a 10 is a no-brainer; the very best that's out there. Of course, it's not perfect, but it's not a game that will soon be forgotten.

When someone reads that Super Thunder Blade scores a 10 on this site, they are led to believe that it's an essential "can't miss" game on the system, and it completely undermines a vastly stricter review of a game like Streets of Rage 1 (scored a 6); and it fools newcomers into thinking that it doesn't get much better than that. Having played many of these games over the past 30 years, it feels dishonest to suggest to a newcomer that Super Thunder Blade is a vastly better game than Streets of Rage - A series popularly recognized as one of the best in the genre...ever.

It wouldn't bother me if this was some niche low-action site of fanboys that valued "their games" out of pure nostalgia, but this is actually a premier site on Sega retro gaming. There are tons of people (and non-members) that value the content on this site. Unfortunately, this feels like a fanboy review at best, or an attempt to increase value and awareness to a game that doesn't deserve it at worst.

I can certainly understand diamonds in the rough, and misunderstood games that were ahead of their time, but it feels really disingenuous to throw this up there with the true classics 20 years later - How did no one realize this until now? Good game? Sure. One of the best ever? Hmmmm.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Maybe not PERFECT but Iíd rather play FMM than most other 3D fighters of this gen from the same era... at least it originality and a fun selection of characters. I see it as being rather casual compared to VF2, but this isnít really a bad thing IMO. Super smash bros is considered to be ďcasualĒ and it still is awesome.

WCPO Agent

Megamix indeed has more content than VF2, but once you unlocked it all, Megamix doesn't have much else. The more unique characters really kind of suck and the gameplay isn't as tight as VF so you won't be replaying it after you are done with it.

I can still pick up VF2 for a match and enjoy it, but whenever I try the same with Megamix, it's just not fun.

Thread Information