Quantcast

Thread: Sega's Absolutely Rose Street infomercial for the 32X.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Default Sega's Absolutely Rose Street infomercial for the 32X.

Wrestling with Games delivers another great video. I've never seen this infomercial before.

Here's the infomercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFIngV3rMpo
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hero of Algol

Yes, we had discussed this weird infomercial a few years ago:
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...cial-uncovered

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    I remember. With the way they were rushing games for the 32X and Saturn launches how did Sega have resources for crap like this?

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    ...how did Sega have resources for crap like this?
    By not preparing development kits and documentation for potential 3rd party developers?
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Dear God, that's dreadful lol. I commend Sega for thinking 'out of the box' when it came to advertising back in the day, but this 'infomercial' is just pure cringe.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Dear God, that's dreadful lol. I commend Sega for thinking 'out of the box' when it came to advertising back in the day, but this 'infomercial' is just pure cringe.
    To be fair, it's not THAT different from what you would see on TV in the mid '90s...but yeah... horrible idea when basic things like devkits were lacking!

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

It makes the 80s look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    I tried to do a search and came up empty.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

So what if it was discussed before. I forgot all about this, even though I was one of the first to post in the old thread.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

I just saw the video. this is beyond cult. this (and 2 brothers on the 4th floor) is what I will show my grandchildren when I want to tell them about the 90s.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    the irony is. if sega did this today to hype a new console. people would go nuts because this is so bad it's good and not just good. it's like one of the best things I've seen in years. I will show this to my non gaming friends. I'm sure they will be rolling on the floor. basically everything they say and do you are watching and saying: "no, no way they will say/do this next."

and then they do! a rollercoaster of epicness.

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    By not preparing development kits and documentation for potential 3rd party developers?
    SEGA did provide documentation for 3rd parties and also shipped out plenty of development kits to be fair. It was the tools that were crap as well as the cost of a Saturn, Mars development kit. But in SEGA defence it allowed developers to code to the metal and provide full documentation on all the systems parts as CORE told EDGE, if only Nintendo did the same, they'll be happy.
    What the Adv shows is SEGA getting all caught up in its own hype and the thinking of just being different for the sake of it and how much money time and effort SOA wasted on the 32X instead of getting the basics right like getting the teams ready for 32 bit development and making sequels to its sports range on the Saturn, the sequels to the likes of Chakan, Kid Chameleon Ect.

SOA were just hopeless in the 32Bit age and didn't have a clue.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Amerika's Avatar

Yeah, I remember reading about the 32x and then reading about the Saturn and, as a kid, my first thought was "why would I want a 32x". And that was simply from a simply technology point of view as opposed to me being wise in predicting that the 32x would most likely go to the wayside quickly due to the big brother taking all of the spotlight. And as somebody else mentioned, the Absolutely Rose Street infomercial is so bad that it would be a monster hit today and drum up a lot of publicity/site clicks since virtually everyone would want to see it for at least the novelty if not genuine interest.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Interesting video, but I feel like it could have been about a 1/3 of the length without summarizing the majority of Absolutely Rose Street.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Interesting video, but I feel like it could have been about a 1/3 of the length without summarizing the majority of Absolutely Rose Street.
    It could have been a minute long, with footage from Virtua Racing Deluxe, Star Wars Arcade and Doom and would have been more effective.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

I felt this video was downright entertaining. Not Absolutely Rose Street, but WWG's video covering it. I mean, is there a better way to experience this infomercial than this? I doubt it.

Thread Information