Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 32X has a cut trace, could it be by factory?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Mine also has that cut in that location.

jDCHzYJ.jpg
    Last edited by Vorenge; 03-06-2019 at 10:10 PM.

Master of Shinobi

The pictures I have for a PAL model do not have that trace cut.

It's impossible to tell from the pictures what that trace does, as on the other side of the board, one of its ends goes right under IC15, while the other end is hidden by that blue cap on the photos.

Use a voltage meter and have yourself a little session of electric labyrinth. If I recall correctly that area of the board is traces running from the 315 chip that has the video and sound running through it.

A long time ago when I got my first 32x it would freeze at the Doom menu, and we ended up returning it. Out of curiousity, if it were mine I would reconnect that trace and fire up Doom and see if that happens. Then you would know it was a factory fix

Not to go off topic, but it's interesting how 32x Mars mainly consists of the male plug pcb with main components. Ribbon plugs are only used to bridge cart slot. In many ways the female cart slot could be much smaller, or the 32x manufactured as a whole smaller single piece unit (like Knuckles Chaotix Sonic & Knuckles). It's only larger for user friendliness, cosmetic appearance, physical stability and FCC regulations; this corresponds with spacer required for model 2 but not model 1 Genesis console.

EDIT
    * Correction. Meant to say "Sonic & Knuckles".
    Last edited by vexatious; 03-09-2019 at 11:15 PM. Reason: grammer error

Master of Shinobi

The trace in question most likely runs into IC15. It's not possible to tell from the images, but according to the service manual the only actual signal input/output in the area is the address strobe signal from the cart. This is complete guess from my part, but perhaps there was a conflict between that pin and that light blue cable, so on some boards they cut the trace. Someone would need to take apart their 32x to verify which signal it is though.

Quote Originally Posted by vexatious View Post
    Not to go off topic, but it's interesting how 32x Mars mainly consists of the male plug pcb with main components. Ribbon plugs are only used to bridge cart slot. In many ways the female cart slot could be much smaller, or the 32x manufactured as a whole smaller single piece unit (like Knuckles Chaotix). It's only larger for user friendliness, cosmetic appearance, physical stability and FCC regulations; this corresponds with spacer required for model 2 but not model 1 Genesis console.
    The sub board hosts all the components for the video mixer and the power input. I very much doubt they could get it significantly smaller, even if they threw out FCC regulations out the window.

Wildside Expert

i'm intersted too about this moa. is only on usa model or pal too? i have pal

Thread Information