Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 32X has a cut trace, could it be by factory?

Death Adder's minion

Default My 32X has a cut trace, could it be by factory?

Hello,
    I opened up my 32X to replace the caps with good brand ones and I located a cut trace (that can be seen in the picture below). It is one cm above the letter G of SEGA. Its a VA 0 revision.

It is definitely intentionally done, does anyone know if this is "by factory"? The 32X has lots of patches done by factory.
    Does anyone know if this specific cut serves a purpose? Should I repair it? The 32X seems to work fine and I had it for quite some time.

ps
    My 32X has a region switch installed.

I'm not seeing any cut traces. For the love of Jesus' illegitimate son Ted, mark where you think there is a cut trace.

Death Adder's minion

There.... its definitely a cut trace, no continuity, is seems its cut with a razor, its deep.

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

Sega's know for hacky modifications at the factory, but without more information, there's no way to know why this may have been done. I'm not taking my 32X apart to check, since they now cost about 40 times what I paid for mine.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated

Death Adder's minion

I am not asking anyone to open their 32X, I've seen pictures and videos of boards that I could make out and none of which i've seen seem to have the trace cut.... but that does not say very much. They may have incorporated the mod later to improve compatibility issues with certain megadrive revisions that arose.

I am asking if someone (obviously someone that has a history in repairing 32Xs) has seen this or knows the purpose this trace cutting serves, since mine that has it seems to work flawlessly.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Do you think that maybe the person that put in the region switch, cut the tracer to make it work?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Death Adder's minion

Yes I would, if that person wasn't me. Region modding of the 32X does not require any trace cutting.

Only trace cutting I could think of is if u wanted to tap sync out from the video encoder to composite line, even then simply removing the 220uf cap is sufficient.

Death Adder's minion

I found a picture online from a guy nicknamed Nomad, on Assembler forums, that has the exact same trace as mine cut... there must be a reason for that... I have the suspision that it may have to do with eliminating jailbars.

Last edited by gtsamour; 07-18-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

32X does do a pretty stellar job of eliminating jailbars. It's all conjecture though without a bit more research into what that trace is supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Death Adder's minion

Unfortunately I can find no mention about it, I only have my board that has this trace cut and the photo above of another guy's pcb with the same trace cut, that I can't come in contact with.

Is this supposed trace cut doing any harm to your 32X? Is it not working properly? If everything is fine on it, than don't worry about it. I myself have done much worst, twice actually. I've bridged and melted legs off the video encoder when trying to do the S-Video mod on several 32Xes. I managed to save one by sending it to an awesome modder who had the patience and time to fix it I wanted it saved because it was an MK84000A

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    32X does do a pretty stellar job of eliminating jailbars.
    Agreed. Idk why someone would feel the need to try to go even further with eliminating jailbars on 32X when it hardly has any at all

Death Adder's minion

Maybe its not for fixing the jailbars, I'm only guessing here.
    Maybe its for compatibility improvement, some Sega CD games had issues with the 32X present. Again... I'm only guessing. I would like to know what the heck it is though, specially since another guy has it on his board also.

Quote Originally Posted by gtsamour View Post
    Maybe its not for fixing the jailbars, I'm only guessing here.
    Maybe its for compatibility improvement, some Sega CD games had issues with the 32X present. Again... I'm only guessing. I would like to know what the heck it is though, specially since another guy has it on his board also.
    This is a long shot, but maybe it was for making the Genesis version of Virtua Racing work on the 32X. Check out this old topic: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...=virtua+racing

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Maverick S's Avatar

Here is my 32x I opened up a few years ago. I'm pretty sure I posted these images before on the 32x revisions thread.

https://imgur.com/gallery/b09oi

It looks like the trace on mine is cut as well. It could also explain why a VA1 top board was never produced, as cutting the trace was enough for whatever Sega needed fixing. There were plans for a VA2 revision if the leaked service manual is anything to go by.

Thread Information