Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sonic Mania Saturn

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Sonic Sonic Mania Saturn

How likely is it this game could run on Saturn? Before someone just says easily. There are many NES looking indie games that actually are way more advanced than the NES could handle or use color palettes NES could not use plus sometimes being a couple hundred MB of data in size. Mania has a very authentic look to it but could it really run on Saturn from a technical point of view? How much would it have helped Saturn in sales? Let's say Sonic Mania released instead of clockwork Knight at launch. I know Saturn was kinda doomed no matter what but maybe just maybe done better launch numbers if just slightly. One of the SS biggest criticisms was no real Sonic Game.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Not much because it would have needed a 3D Sonic to counter Mario 64 any 2D game not matter how brilliant or good looking would have been seen as inferior. Saturn could have done Sonic Mania and like I said before.. Sonic Mania is the game that should have been on the Mega CD and what Sonic CD should have been with full use if the ASIC chip and Sonic CD should have been brought to the Saturn for its USA and Pal launch with lush 24bit visuals, new bonus levels and full-screen lovely Cinepak FMV for Sonic CD animation
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Master of Shinobi

Technically it could run on the Saturn, but it would have to push the console to the maximum and every effect and background would need to be hand tooled for proper use of background/sprite priorities. There would need to be a lot of tweaks made for that, so it wouldn't be 100% identical either.

I'm not sure how you could do the dynamic water effect though.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

I would be satisfied with even a Dreamcast port myself.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Android would do me, Sega hardware would be like a dream come true.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

I'm very confident we will get an unofficial dreamcast version in the future. saturn would be a dream.

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    I would be satisfied with even a Dreamcast port myself.
    same - i'd take what i can get. this is the real sonic 4 here.

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    I'm very confident we will get an unofficial dreamcast version in the future. saturn would be a dream.
    based on what, though? scene's still alive but this still feels like a big undertaking

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

It would be easier to wait for someone to hack up a 64 megabit Sonic Mania for Genesis. Sonic for NES is being spruced up very nicely right now, so anything is popsicles.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Well someone got Netflix running on an NES. People seem to make the impossible...possible somehow.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    Technically it could run on the Saturn, but it would have to push the console to the maximum and every effect and background would need to be hand tooled for proper use of background/sprite priorities. .
    It could be done. There's not much there that the Saturn or even the PSX couldn't do. But it would have to be built from the ground up for those systems and coded to the metal. Sonic Mania kind of shows what a Sonic CD game should have really looked like, with full use of the ASIC chip
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Not much because it would have needed a 3D Sonic to counter Mario 64 any 2D game not matter how brilliant or good looking would have been seen as inferior. Saturn could have done Sonic Mania and like I said before.. Sonic Mania is the game that should have been on the Mega CD and what Sonic CD should have been with full use if the ASIC chip and Sonic CD should have been brought to the Saturn for its USA and Pal launch with lush 24bit visuals, new bonus levels and full-screen lovely Cinepak FMV for Sonic CD animation
    Well, they had a year and a half before Mario 64 was even released, but I agree they needed something more than this for a next-gen console. Sonic Mania looks a little too much like a 16-bit game, which is fine today for nostalgia but not something that would get people to purchase a $400 console in 1995. If the Mega CD could run it that would be cool but it's still a very expensive add-on for another 2D Sonic title.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Well, they had a year and a half before Mario 64 was even released, but I agree they needed something more than this for a next-gen console. Sonic Mania looks a little too much like a 16-bit game, which is fine today for nostalgia but not something that would get people to purchase a $400 console in 1995. If the Mega CD could run it that would be cool but it's still a very expensive add-on for another 2D Sonic title.
    It's not quite that simple, the very 1st time Mario 64 was shown off in playable form, there was no going back to 2D and if SEGA did make a 2D Sonic game (as its main Saturn entry) people would have laughed and used it as yet more proof the Saturn sucked at 3D. A 2D Sonic for the Saturns launch in the west, would have been ok, but SEGA really would have needed to make Sonic a 3D game. It's just a shame SOA Sonic X was such a mess and that SOJ Sonic game (Sonic Adv) was moved up to the DC, when that game would have been really somthing, given it was made by the orginal Team members directed by Ohshima-san and shown in Sonic Jam had a stunning 3D engine in place.

Sonic Mania is more for me, what Sonic CD should have been and thats with widespread use of the ASIC chip on the bosses Ect...
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Outrunner

When was Mario 64 first shown, E3 in 1996? Still a year after the Saturn U.S. launch, unless there was a demo shown earlier that I haven't seen. I don't know if I'd call the Sonic Jam engine stunning, but yes they probably could have made a decent game based on that.

You are right though, the ASIC was severely underused. I never really got in to Sonic CD, it had some innovative concepts but is my least favorite of the 16-bit Sonic platformers.

Master of Shinobi

The Mega CD ASIC was underused because it was a giant pain in the butt to get the timing on the Mega CD to cooperate right, and because using the ASIC imposed a massive speed penalty if you used it on more than, like, a quarter of the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    When was Mario 64 first shown, E3 in 1996? Still a year after the Saturn U.S. launch, unless there was a demo shown earlier that I haven't seen..
    The game was show off for the 1st time in 1995 Spaceworld show and all the gaming press were raving about it. So SEGA would have had to make a 3D Sonic game to counter it. Sonic Jam 3D sections were amazing given the hardware it was running on
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information