Quantcast

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sonic Mania Saturn

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    The Mega CD ASIC was underused because it was a giant pain in the butt to get the timing on the Mega CD to cooperate right, and because using the ASIC imposed a massive speed penalty if you used it on more than, like, a quarter of the screen.
    Yes, but bosses Ect wouldn’t need to use all of the screen. Games like Son Of Chuck and Puggsy show what could have been done using the ASIC in a platform based game and not the cost or the frame rate. It was such a waste. SEGA Japan were crap on the Mega CD and needed a kicking for the way they left the Mega CD rot
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Sega leaving the Sega CD to rot on the vine set a trend going all the way through the DC.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    The game was show off for the 1st time in 1995 Spaceworld show and all the gaming press were raving about it. So SEGA would have had to make a 3D Sonic game to counter it. Sonic Jam 3D sections were amazing given the hardware it was running on
    I see, they still had an entire year after the Japan launch though. Why wait so long to release a mascot platformer? The Sonic Jam sections would have been amazing in 1994/1995, by 1997 they were far less impressive compared to what the N64 had already done. Sonic Jam has some good textures but there's hardly anything going on, I bet the engine would slow considerably if you tried to do anything like the levels in Mario64.
    Last edited by axel; 07-22-2018 at 11:16 PM.

Master of Shinobi

Sonic Team decided that they did not want to make a potentially poor Sonic game on the new unexplored hardware, so they worked on Nights instead.

Sonic Jam worked well because they already had the Nights engine done, so they just needed to build the levels, not work on the engine. And it was a very small hub, not the kind of open levels you have in a Sonic game.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

sonic jam though was incredibly impressive imo and didn't look much worse than mario 64. sonic r is an even better example. had they made a game like that with enough hype in early 97/late 96 it would've gotten a lot of attention. a 2d sonic would've been bashed.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    I see, they still had an entire year after the Japan launch though. .

The team were still making S&K in Fall 1994 and given Japanese developers look to go on a long break after every project is completed work wouldn't have been able to start until 1995 and making a fully 3D Sonic would have taken a long time and wouldn't have been ready until 1996 at the earliest. Sonic Adv on the Saturn would have looked amazing, it wouldn't have been able to top Mario 64 gfx (not even the PSX could do that) but the Sonic Jam engine was amazing for a Saturn game and given that both Naka-san and Ohshima-san told SEGA Saturn mag that the team had achieved graphics people didn't think possible on the Saturn, it was shaping up to be a Saturn showcase.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    Sonic Team decided that they did not want to make a potentially poor Sonic game on the new unexplored hardware, so they worked on Nights instead.

Sonic Jam worked well because they already had the Nights engine done, so they just needed to build the levels, not work on the engine. And it was a very small hub, not the kind of open levels you have in a Sonic game.

I think that unlike the Mario Team who have 3 to 4 years before each main sequel to Mario, the Sonic team after making 4 Sonic games in 4 years got a little slick of Sonic and wanted to try something new and given SOA had started a 32Bit Sonic I guess SOJ felt they could wait for a Real Sonic Team Sonic game, while they made a new IP inbtween . I can't fault that myself, but SEGA Japan should have made sure that some Sonic game came on the Saturn, while the main Sonic Team and SOA Sonic games were in production. Sonic Jam 3d engine was amazing for a Saturn and its so sad we never got to see what Project Sonic (Sonic Adv) would have looked like in final form on the Saturn, The Avv part was unlike most Platform games and would have been increabile back on the Saturn in 1997. You can can clearly see some of the Saturn desgins in the Final Sonic SAdv game on some of the levels and even Boss battles like Choas 4 battle on the Water lilies, which looks for all the world like a VDP II effect.

Its a shame we never got to see stuff like Shenmue and Sonic Adv on the Saturn or the planned Team Andromeda new IP on the Saturn too, that was canned early in.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

If only NiGHTS and Sonic Mania were launch games and later a full 3D Sonic game. Maybe 1996 months before Mario 64 to help counter it. Oh well. We shall never know.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

WCPO Agent

I think that unlike the Mario Team who have 3 to 4 years before each main sequel to Mario, the Sonic team after making 4 Sonic games in 4 years got a little slick of Sonic and wanted to try something new and given SOA had started a 32Bit Sonic I guess SOJ felt they could wait for a Real Sonic Team Sonic game, while they made a new IP inbtween .
    I can't fault them either, putting out yet another 2D Sonic game in 1995 would have been too much. If they could have done a 3D title at launch OK but it doesn't seem like there's any scenario where they would have had an engine for a 3D platformer that early.

I can't fault them either, putting out yet another 2D Sonic game in 1995 would have been too much. If they could have done a 3D title at launch OK but it doesn't seem like there's any scenario where they would have had an engine for a 3D platformer that early.
    I agree, but another team inside SEGA should have just ported Sonic CD to the Saturn and threw in Sonic the Arcade game as a bonus. Instead of porting Rad racer to the Saturn, that team should have been working on a special version of Sonic CD for the Saturn western launch with a remixed version. Kind of like Earthworm Jim 2 Micky Mania remixes for the 32bit systems
    Not perfect but nice for the Western launches and good enough.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

WCPO Agent

I agree, but another team inside SEGA should have just ported Sonic CD to the Saturn and threw in Sonic the Arcade game as a bonus. Instead of porting Rad racer to the Saturn, that team should have been working on a special version of Sonic CD for the Saturn western launch with a remixed version. Kind of like Earthworm Jim 2 Micky Mania remixes for the 32bit systems
    Not perfect but nice for the Western launches and good enough.
    You would launch a new console with a port of a 3 year old game? I don't know how well that would go over... The only Sonic title that almost makes sense to port over would be Knuckles Chaotix with a simultaneous release on the Saturn and 32X (provided it was actually a good game and not a half-finished mess with weird controls).

You would launch a new console with a port of a 3 year old game? I don't know how well that would go over... The only Sonic title that almost makes sense to port over would be Knuckles Chaotix with a simultaneous release on the Saturn and 32X (provided it was actually a good game and not a half-finished mess with weird controls).
    Knuckles wasn't a Sonic game and there is nothing wrong in bringing an updated old game to a new Platform with new GFX and a huge polish just to fill a cap, while you had the new show off games like VF, Pazner Dragoona and ClockworkKnight.
    Its not like Rad Mobile was a new game by time of the Saturn, much less Super Thunderblade for the MD launch.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Knuckles wasn't a Sonic game.
    Of course it's a Sonic game. Just because Knuckles is the main character, doesn't mean anything - he's still a Sonic character. It's a spin-off. And besides, the game started life as Sonic Stadium on the Mega Drive, before they moved it to the 32X and replaced Sonic with Mighty.

Click image above for my Youtube channel.

Outrunner

You would launch a new console with a port of a 3 year old game? I don't know how well that would go over...
    That was kind of point I was making in my original post in this thread. Sonic CD would of been old by then and its not like it set the world on fire when it came out on the Mega CD.
    Its why I suggested delaying Sonic 3, TA made the (I guess fair) point that Sega would not want to delay Sonic 3 to 1995.
    However I would say that 5 Sonic games between 1992 and 1994 was overkill imo (Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Sonic Spinball then Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles).

My next suggestion would have been to launched Sonic 3 as is on the Megadrive, then rework the Sonic and Knuckles project in to a full standalone Saturn game aimed at the US launch instead of being just additional levels for Sonic 3.
    Granted it probably wasn't possible but it would have been better than an old Mega CD game.

WCPO Agent

Knuckles wasn't a Sonic game and there is nothing wrong in bringing an updated old game to a new Platform with new GFX and a huge polish just to fill a cap, while you had the new show off games like VF, Pazner Dragoona and ClockworkKnight.
    Its not like Rad Mobile was a new game by time of the Saturn, much less Super Thunderblade for the MD launch.
    Every new console gets ports but usually they aren't a huge selling point if they were already available on a previous console. Look at what Nintendo did with the SNES, they released Super Mario All-Stars with updated versions of their classic titles, but they still launched the console with a brand-new game built to take advantage of the new hardware. Using SMAS as the launch title would have been terrible because it would look like the new hardware just plays updated versions of old games.

A real sequel to Sonic CD would have been much better received than a port.

Thread Information