Quantcast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sonic Mania Saturn

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Every new console gets ports but usually they aren't a huge selling point if they were already available on a previous console. Look at what Nintendo did with the SNES, they released Super Mario All-Stars with updated versions of their classic titles, but they still launched the console with a brand-new game built to take advantage of the new hardware. Using SMAS as the launch title would have been terrible because it would look like the new hardware just plays updated versions of old games.

A real sequel to Sonic CD would have been much better received than a port.
    But you had new games to take off and show off the Hardware with Panzer Dragoon, Virtua Fighte, Bug, Clockwork Knight SONIC CD special Edition would have just plugged a hole, until SOA Sonic game of SOJ Sonic game were ready to go. Sonic CD took like 3 years to make, I'll high doubt the team either in the USA or Japan would have been able to get Sonic CD II ready for May or June 1995.

Unlike the Mario Team, the Sonic Team were asked to make a new Sonic game each year and given super tight deadlines.
    I
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    That was kind of point I was making in my original post in this thread. Sonic CD would of been old by then and its not like it set the world on fire when it came out on the Mega CD.
    Its why I suggested delaying Sonic 3, TA made the (I guess fair) point that Sega would not want to delay Sonic 3 to 1995.
    However I would say that 5 Sonic games between 1992 and 1994 was overkill imo (Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Sonic Spinball then Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles).

My next suggestion would have been to launched Sonic 3 as is on the Megadrive, then rework the Sonic and Knuckles project in to a full standalone Saturn game aimed at the US launch instead of being just additional levels for Sonic 3.
    Granted it probably wasn't possible but it would have been better than an old Mega CD game.
    Well I've always been for dropping MD internal support in 1994 and all projects moved up to Saturn and just have left it for 3rd parties to make the bulk of MD games in 1994/5. I would have loved to have had a 24bit colour Comix Zone with a 2 player mode and CD-DA sound track and a super improved Vectorman II on the Saturn.

Thats what I would have done
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Well I've always been for dropping MD internal support in 1994 and all projects moved up to Saturn and just have left it for 3rd parties to make the bulk of MD games in 1994/5. I would have loved to have had a 24bit colour Comix Zone with a 2 player mode and CD-DA sound track and a super improved Vectorman II on the Saturn.

Thats what I would have done
    That would have been a shame, 1994 was a good year for 16-bit games.

Re: deadlines here is what I see for the Mario team, at least, Miyamoto was involved on all of these games (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiger..._gameography):

1981 - Donkey Kong
    1982 - Donkey Kong Jr.
    1983 - Mario Bros.
    1984 - none
    1985 - Super Mario Bros.
    1986 - Super Mario Bros. 2 (J)
    1987 - Doki Doki Panic (SMB2)
    1988 - Super Mario Bros. 3
    1989 - none
    1990 - Super Mario World
    1991 - none
    1992 - Super Mario Kart; Mario Paint
    1993 - Super Mario All Stars
    1994 - none
    1995 - Super Mario World 2
    1996 - Super Mario RPG; Mario 64; Mario Kart 64

Meanwhile here is the Sonic Team's output (using this as a source: http://www.shinforce.com/general/dev...Sonic_Team.htm)

1991 - Sonic the Hedgehog
    1992 - Sonic 2
    1993 - Sonic CD
    1994 - Sonic 3
    1994 - Sonic & Knuckles
    1995 - none
    1996 - none

So the Sonic Team had a very high output with 5 games in 3 years, but then went to work on other titles in 1995/1996 while four more Mario games came out!

There were plenty of other Sonic titles released, e.g. Sonic Spinball, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, the Game Gear titles, Knuckles Chaotix etc., but none had the involvement of the Sonic Team unless that reference is incorrect.

I'm sure the corporate structure was probably different at Nintendo but for one team to put out 15 games in 15 years in one series while also working on the Legend of Zelda and a ton of other titles is very impressive.

1994 would still have been a great year , but I would have liked to seen SEGA in house studios get ready for 32bit production, given it was such a huge leap into 3D and leave the software to the likes of Treasure and Bluesky. Also in 1995 the Sonic Team made Nights. Unlike the Mario team, they pretty much made a game every year, it was a little silly. Still SEGA do much the same now with the Yaukza team
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

1994 was a great year indeed, but 32-bit games were in their infancy. Of the big software houses, Sega was farthest along with conversions of Virtua Fighter and Myst on the Saturn. Sony scored a big hit with Ridge Racer but that was it.

1991 - Sonic the Hedgehog
    1992 - Sonic 2
    1993 - Sonic CD
    1994 - Sonic 3
    1994 - Sonic & Knuckles
    1995 - none
    1996 - none
    Also in 1995 the Sonic Team made Nights.
    Nights was 1996. 'Sonic RPG' (Sonic Adventure) development on the Saturn was also underway by then.

Sorry I meant to say 1996. Project Sonic (Saturn Sonic Adv) didnít start until after Nights was finished . The team used part of their off time and vacation, to go to S America and conduct research in 1996. Up until the Sonic Team were given the CS SEGA rally team, Somic team only had one line and could only work on one project at a time.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Nights was 1996. 'Sonic RPG' (Sonic Adventure) development on the Saturn was also underway by then.
    Nights doesn't count for my list because it's not a Sonic game. Of course both teams made more games than what I listed but I only included games that featured Mario or Sonic.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

So what happened to discussing Sonic Mania for the Saturn on this thread...

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

I wish I knew.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Maybe. Would maybe need a Saturn game of Sonic for it to have a more deeper idea like mania in my opinion.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training SegaDreamcast's Avatar

Sonic X-Treme releasing as planned for the Saturn would have made a massive difference imo. As for Clockwork Knight and Bug! they were great games and followed the Donkey Kong Country style graphics popular for the time period (wish more games used the style these days). Sonic Mania releasing during the Saturn's prime would probably be seen more as a followup to Sonic & Knuckles. Not a rival to Super Mario 64 though.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I was never impressed with Clockwork Knight or Bug! I don't even own Bug! anymore.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Bug! is painfully mediocre.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training SegaDreamcast's Avatar

I've always been a fan of Bug! remember it was one of the first titles I tried on a Sega Saturn display at Toys 'R Us along with Virtua Fighter. Fond memories and such. 2.5D pre-rendered games of that era were groundbreaking, new visual territory at the time. Mischief Makers on the N64 being one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by SegaDreamcast View Post
    I've always been a fan of Bug! remember it was one of the first titles I tried on a Sega Saturn display at Toys 'R Us along with Virtua Fighter. Fond memories and such. 2.5D pre-rendered games of that era were groundbreaking, new visual territory at the time. Mischief Makers on the N64 being one of my favorites.
    BUG was decent and BUG II was simply fantastic. It's just a shame they were so hard and one couldn't save at the checkpoints or the game didn't have more checkpoints. I loved how Bug II levels were a parody. Bug II had really nice gfx( some of the VDP II misting effects were incredible) along with great music. I found Bug II to be much better than the overrated Crash games myself.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information