Quantcast

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were head of SEGA 1997 how would you..

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I could never see the point of those planned Dreamcast Swatch watches when one could be able to scan cinema tickets into the device, but the MP3 player was forward thinking. I guess storage costs was a bigger issue for that planned device. To go back to DVD, Given that Toshiba format won the day and SEGA was needed to send out early development kits and tools chain in early 1997.
    It would have been sensible to go with Toshiba for DVD manufacture, because not only would they have the tech (since their format won) Toshiba wouldn't need to pay any licence fee either and also Toshiba had the manufacturing capability too. But like the Mega CD, Saturn, Neo Geo CD showed, going for the right games delivery format, doesn't = success and there's a lot of other issues like games and 3rd party support that will make of break a console.

Since we're being hypothetical. SEGA should have also brought out a 10 Gig Hard Drive add-on for the DC in 1998 priced at £50 too
    Toshiba does not outright own the rights to the DVD licence. It is owned by several groups and each earns licensing fees and has the ability to manufacture those devices without paying said fees. MS put Thompson drives in their original Xbox, because Thompson was part of that DVD group.

Toshiba was key in the design of HD DVD, but that has nothing to do with DVD in 1998.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Again I can't respond directly to off-topic issues, because no doubt you report me and add me to your ignore list (funny I was meant to have been added to that years ago) All I can say is that SEGA and Yamaha invented the GD-Rom format for the DC, but Samsung made most of the Drives made the Western systems, unlike Yamaha for the launch Japanese systems.
    Toshiba DVD format won out and since SEGA were looking to go early, they would have been the ideal choice for any DVD drive in early 98 for the DC.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Again I can't respond directly to off-topic issues, because no doubt you report me and add me to your ignore list (funny I was meant to have been added to that years ago) All I can say is that SEGA and Yamaha invented the GD-Rom format for the DC, but Samsung made most of the Drives made the Western systems, unlike Yamaha for the launch Japanese systems.
    Toshiba DVD format won out and since SEGA were looking to go early, they would have been the ideal choice for any DVD drive in early 98 for the DC.
    I don't report people. Provide a link, because what you are saying makes no sense. I've provided a link that tells you every company that has a hand in DVD technology and licensing.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Love to have a debate, but can't and need to stay on Topic. To me the DVD drive was not the issue. But to be serious and stay on Topic along with a dual analogue Controls, I would have liked to saw the DC use Power PC as its CPU. Thought it would have been a better choice and also helped with the Model 3 ports.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Honestly, i think people would have been much more willing to support the Dreamcast in the west if they had continued at least localising games for the Saturn, Buying a Dreamcast at launch probably felt like a gamble for that reason alone.

Quote Originally Posted by doomguy View Post
    Honestly, i think people would have been much more willing to support the Dreamcast in the west if they had continued at least localising games for the Saturn, Buying a Dreamcast at launch probably felt like a gamble for that reason alone.
    The Saturn was such a non-factor in the West, that bringing over more games that wouldn’t sell had very little impact on that region. Japan’s success with the Saturn did not carry over to the Dreamcast, while the DC explorded onto the market in North America, despite what the Saturn had done before it.

Quote Originally Posted by doomguy View Post
    Spot on, Made that point before. SEGA was getting a bar rep for making systems only to drop support for them a few years after and to make matters worse the morons at SEGA America even messed around one of the few 3rd parties they had left, over a E3 bill. Dave Perry even told EDGE that SOA didn't have a clue and he wouldn't make another game for SEGA unless there was a change to the management.
    Shame though as SOA did far better with the DC than either Japan or Europe.

I think to many people and developers, the DC was nothing more than a stopgap untill the PS2 hit town
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

AH BOB SAGET! Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi SegataS's Avatar

We had this discussion before so not worth diving very deep back into it but Saturn practically didn't exist in the US by 1997. It was a 2 horse race by that point.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    We had this discussion before so not worth diving very deep back into it but Saturn practically didn't exist in the US by 1997. It was a 2 horse race by that point.
    Yup. IMO it would have been better to put those Saturn resources toward getting the Dreamcast out the door, imagine a worldwide launch by holiday season 1998 with a finished version of Sonic Adventure as the pack-in game, plus Crazy Taxi, Phantasy Star Online and Shenmue all available on day one.

By 1997 it was clear the Saturn situation was not going get better.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by GameUser-16-32-128 View Post
    3. Backwards compatibility with Saturn games.
    This wouldn't be possible, unless they spent a significant amount of money first to shrink the Saturn to just a few chips. Considering that they kept trying to simplify it even up till 1998, I don't think this would be possible without a major investment of money, something Sega did not have anymore.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    This wouldn't be possible, unless they spent a significant amount of money first to shrink the Saturn to just a few chips. Considering that they kept trying to simplify it even up till 1998, I don't think this would be possible without a major investment of money, something Sega did not have anymore.
    Can the SH-4 run SH-2 code? If that's possible then maybe it's doable... but why? The Saturn games were not big sellers to begin with, it would have added nothing to the Dreamcast.

SEGA needed to get as far away from the Saturn as they could with DC. Why the system was white and sleek. Easy to develop for.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Can the SH-4 run SH-2 code? If that's possible then maybe it's doable...
    I think they have different endians, but that's the least of problems, you have a bajillion custom chips to support, each with its own memory banks and accesses. Doing it in hardware would make the DC board three time the size and the console twice the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    SEGA needed to get as far away from the Saturn as they could with DC. Why the system was white and sleek. Easy to develop for.
    Saturns have been sleek and white since 1996 in Japan.

White yes. Japan yes. West. No. Sleek. God no.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post

Saturns have been sleek and white since 1996 in Japan.
    Most of them have turned yellow.

Thread Information