Quantcast

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: If you were head of SEGA 1997 how would you..

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Yup. IMO it would have been better to put those Saturn resources toward getting the Dreamcast out the door, imagine a worldwide launch by holiday season 1998 with a finished version of Sonic Adventure as the pack-in game, plus Crazy Taxi, Phantasy Star Online and Shenmue all available on day one.

By 1997 it was clear the Saturn situation was not going get better.
    But you wouldn't many resources. All SEGA America needed to do was to cherry pick some of the best Saturn games and bring them over, not develop them. All SOA did be let 1997 and 1998 be negative for the Saturn in America and basically buy a PS or N64 and no matter what SOA did, it was going to lose a ton of cash. SEGA America should have just looked to work with WD bring Grandia, Princess Crown over to the Saturn and then looked to have picked up X Men Vs Street Fighter, Metal Slug, Dead Of Alive, Radiant Silvergun, Souky, Astal Superstars, Shining Force III parts 2 and 3 Ect .. Games that needed mimiual traslation and would just show SEGA cared about its core fans and also where those games outdid the PS and would have reviewed well too.
    Like I said I had no real issue with Sonic Adv and Shenmue being moved up to DC production and felt the same should have happened to Deep Fear given that didn't make much use of the Saturn VDP II, whereas games like SF III and Saga made such heavy use of the VDP II they would have been hard to move over to DC Production. I very much doubt it would have been possible to get PSO, Shenmue, PSO ready for day one even without the Saturn. The USA launch of the DC was one of the best. It was just the feeling that all the main 3rd parties were keeping their big hitting games for the PS2 and in the 'public' eye the PS2 was way more powerfull. I mean the PS2 Japan and USA lanch line up was poor, but noone cared, the hype said they had to buy the system.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    I think they have different endians, but that's the least of problems, you have a bajillion custom chips to support, each with its own memory banks and accesses. Doing it in hardware would make the DC board three time the size and the console twice the cost.
    You are probably right but the fact that it was able to emulate the PSX (via Bleemcast) makes me think Saturn emulation could have been in the realm of possibility if Sega had wanted it.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    But you wouldn't many resources. All SEGA America needed to do was to cherry pick some of the best Saturn games and bring them over, not develop them. All SOA did be let 1997 and 1998 be negative for the Saturn in America and basically buy a PS or N64 and no matter what SOA did, it was going to lose a ton of cash. SEGA America should have just looked to work with WD bring Grandia, Princess Crown over to the Saturn and then looked to have picked up X Men Vs Street Fighter, Metal Slug, Dead Of Alive, Radiant Silvergun, Souky, Astal Superstars, Shining Force III parts 2 and 3 Ect .. Games that needed mimiual traslation and would just show SEGA cared about its core fans and also where those games outdid the PS and would have reviewed well too.
    Like I said I had no real issue with Sonic Adv and Shenmue being moved up to DC production and felt the same should have happened to Deep Fear given that didn't make much use of the Saturn VDP II, whereas games like SF III and Saga made such heavy use of the VDP II they would have been hard to move over to DC Production. I very much doubt it would have been possible to get PSO, Shenmue, PSO ready for day one even without the Saturn. The USA launch of the DC was one of the best. It was just the feeling that all the main 3rd parties were keeping their big hitting games for the PS2 and in the 'public' eye the PS2 was way more powerfull. I mean the PS2 Japan and USA lanch line up was poor, but noone cared, the hype said they had to buy the system.
    I agree, I was not impressed with the PS2 initially at all. I thought the Gamecube and XBox would squash it, boy was I wrong!

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

You are probably right but the fact that it was able to emulate the PSX (via Bleemcast) makes me think Saturn emulation could have been in the realm of possibility if Sega had wanted it.
    Give it took Saturn emu so long to get up to scratch and took mighty PC's I very much doubt it. Should have been great for Mega Drive and Master system though and SEGA Japan did offer an MD and PC-Eng games download services in Japan for the DC (I gather all the games were perfect emulated too) . Yet again SEGA leading the way, long before the likes of XBox Live Arcade.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Give it took Saturn emu so long to get up to scratch and took mighty PC's I very much doubt it. Should have been great for Mega Drive and Master system though and SEGA Japan did offer an MD and PC-Eng games download services in Japan for the DC (I gather all the games were perfect emulated too) . Yet again SEGA leading the way, long before the likes of XBox Live Arcade.
    Yep. First console to offer emulation of previous consoles.

Outrunner

The PSX had a piss simple setup compared to the Saturn, and most of its features had hardware equivalents on the Dreamcast (and on damn near every other hardware that could do hardware triangles).

For the Saturn the only thing you could emulate in hardware on the DC would be the sound, and even then you'd need the ARM chip to run 68k code somehow.

Thread Information