Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help with figuring out how to fix a Metroid II Colour Hack V2.0 glitch

Default I need help with figuring out how to fix a Metroid II Colour Hack V2.0 glitch

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/175/

Ok, so here's the exact same issue I'm having with this hack on my EverDrive GB along with my GCN GameBoy Player w/ GBI software:

Quote Originally Posted by Reviewed By: stcrowe on 18 Feb 2018
    This is almost perfect. I love the color chose, and it is much better than the color given by the GameBoy color.

The only reason it is “Almost Perfect” but not quite, is because this hack has a game crashing bug.

When you have 16 metroids left, and your going to kill the 16th metroid, the game will crash as you move up the room right before the room with the 16th metroid.

I’ve tested this glitch with two different ROMs. So the only way to get around this is to play the hacked ROM up to the point of the crash, save, then use the original vanilla ROM, to kill the 16th metroid, save and then return to using the hacked ROM.

Besides that one issue, this is a must have hack.
    Is there any to fix this glitch with a hex editor perhaps? I remember Chilly Willy helped me out several years back with making the Japanese version of Virtua Racing Deluxe work on a US 32X by changing a certain hex value.

The only way I was able to get around this glitch was to enter the Debug Mode Game Genie code which allowed me to change the number of Metroids left from 16 to 15 and avoid the whole area where the game crashes.

No replies, fine. I guess I need to learn some programming and also learn how to hack and debug ROMs myself.

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

Asking on RHDN itself may be more fruitful, or perhaps contacting the people credited for allegedly fixing the crash errors.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    Asking on RHDN itself may be more fruitful, or perhaps contacting the people credited for allegedly fixing the crash errors.
    I should've known better to ask elsewhere, such as the site(s) that discuss bugs with the GameBoy Interface software since the Metroid II DX hack works fine on the official GB Player Start-Up Disc (supposedly). Idk what RHDN is but I'll Google it. Thanks.

DAMN IT! The same thing happens on actual AGB-001 GBA hardware also! Darn. This means it isn't just the GameBoy Interface after all. I don't understand why there is a longplay on YouTube of this not happening when being playing with a GB Player's original start-up disk. I guess perhaps they may have edited the video or simply played it on emulation.

I wish I knew how to somehow figure out what's causing this glitch, where it resets to the title screen when I'm trying to go through the caverns to fight the 16th to last Metroid in the game. It happens when I'm climbing up an upward cavern and then poof, it resets to the title screen every time. I'll post up a video soon to show what I'm talking about for everyone to get a better picture of what I'm talking about.

http://www.romhacking.net/reviews/3492/#review

The issue is known, and since there hasn't been an update, it's doubtful there will be, but you can try messaging the people involved with the non-graphics part of the hack. I can't even get people to bugtest my own ROM hacks, so I stopped asking questions.
    Youtube - Terminated

http://www.romhacking.net/reviews/3492/#review

The issue is known, and since there hasn't been an update, it's doubtful there will be, but you can try messaging the people involved with the non-graphics part of the hack. I can't even get people to bugtest my own ROM hacks, so I stopped asking questions.
    Yep I read that review. Not all of the problems he describes happen on real hardware other than when he says "At first the screens load in Grey Scale but after about 1 second the colors appear" which is exactly what happens on real hardware but it doesn't bother me. It also happens in the Super Mario Land DX hack on real hardware, but as far as I know that hack doesn't freeze up and reset, although I haven't gone through the whole game and beaten it yet.

I guess I'm going to have to track down Spikeman, Idk why I brought up Chilly Willy since he had nothing to do with this rom hack. It's funny that Drakon also worked on it considering his track record with console mods. He used to be real active here on sega-16 back when I first joined 4 years ago and also before that. I remember him having a big ego. He also had an attitude problem when replying to people, particularly to me in one of my very first topics involving a Genesis 2 VA3 that had a CXA1645. I'm willing to bet Spikeman is the better coder to track down and talk to about this.

Best of luck. I find the "community" to be more useless, the more they have accomplished. I am often the only person to respond to other people's questions, and I've only been doing this crap since early June. I'd be more helpful if the limit of my hacking capabilities didn't stop at being able to change which tiles on the currently loaded tile map go in which locations on a screen or block of tiles.
    Youtube - Terminated

Best of luck. I find the "community" to be more useless, the more they have accomplished. I am often the only person to respond to other people's questions, and I've only been doing this crap since early June. I'd be more helpful if the limit of my hacking capabilities didn't stop at being able to change which tiles on the currently loaded tile map go in which locations on a screen or block of tiles.
    Thanks. My guess is that it has something to do with the RAM. Idk, maybe this is a fruitless endeavor anyway. When playing the DX hack on an unlit GBC or GBA screen, it's really hard to make out the surroundings because it's pretty dark, where as when playing the original Metroid II cartridge it'll have the GBC color palette for it and the surroundings are all a bright blue color. Nintendo must had done that for a reason because it sure makes it much easier to see the surroundings on the unlit screens. Also, it works perfectly fine on my DS lite GBC emulator anyway so it's not that big a deal I suppose. Really the only reason to fix this is mostly for playing it on the GB Player. But as long as I play it on an EverDrive GB cart, I can always just put in the Debug Game Genie code to lower the amount of Metroids to 15 and skip the troublesome part altogether.

That's a solution. I'm not sure about GB games, but with NES games, you can make cheat codes into ROMhacks. May be a suitable and permanent solution.
    Youtube - Terminated

I know about those programs that inject Game Genie codes into ROMs, I used to use them for SNES games on my old Super EverDrive from 2013. It's not the type of code that should be left on all the time, it's only best to use it once I get up to the part of the game where there's only 16 Metroids left. So that's the good thing about the Game Genie feature of the EverDrive GB, the code can be entered and then erased. The other solution that someone else that has noticed the problem in the romhacking reviews of it is to simply rename the sram file from Metroid DX so that it can be used on the original Metroid II rom, get through that part, save afterwards, then rename the sram file back and resume playing through Metroid DX past that part.
    Last edited by roadkill; 08-28-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Yeah, a major pain. Sucks when people do things by half measures, sometimes.
    Youtube - Terminated

Yeah, a major pain. Sucks when people do things by half measures, sometimes.
    Yep. It's obvious that both Drakon and Spikeman didn't play through the entire game when they made the real hardware compatible 2.0 patch. Idk why, it's actually quite a short game, although this is through the eyes of a big Metroid fan. Maybe it takes far longer for non-Metroid fans to get through, but there are plenty of maps on Google images that help you get through the game quicker and find all the items/Metroids more easily.

For real. I use Game Genie codes to blaze through games I'm hacking, and set save states for the screens or levels I'm working on, so I can immediately get back to that point to verify the changes. In the case of Blaster Master (which I'm working on now), the ReMaster tool Snarfblam made lets me see the entire area I'm working on, so I can rapidly scan for stray tiles, messed up colors, or borked sprites. I haven't performed anything but tile and some level layout hacks yet, but one would think that changing how a game is coded beyond that would necessitate some serious play testing. I'd asked people on RHDN to test my Metal Gear MSX Plus Style hack, and got nothing back. I found errors after the 1.0 release, but I was so burned out by testing it repeatedly by myself that I just don't care anymore.
    Youtube - Terminated

For real. I use Game Genie codes to blaze through games I'm hacking, and set save states for the screens or levels I'm working on, so I can immediately get back to that point to verify the changes. In the case of Blaster Master (which I'm working on now), the ReMaster tool Snarfblam made lets me see the entire area I'm working on, so I can rapidly scan for stray tiles, messed up colors, or borked sprites. I haven't performed anything but tile and some level layout hacks yet, but one would think that changing how a game is coded beyond that would necessitate some serious play testing. I'd asked people on RHDN to test my Metal Gear MSX Plus Style hack, and got nothing back. I found errors after the 1.0 release, but I was so burned out by testing it repeatedly by myself that I just don't care anymore.
    Hmm, interesting. Well for me the problem is that I hit a brick wall by not even knowing how to program . I've heard of that (and have been through that process myself with console mods) when one small specific thing continues to cause problems and when you fix it, something else goes wrong and so yeah it'll burn someone out. I've been wanting to learn how to program though so that I can do a bunch of rom hacks for games I feel need some attention that others just stopped caring about. As for the Game Genie and GameShark, I love how useful they can be, especially on EverDrives since they save the codes and I don't have to worry about reliability issues. It's like you said, I can blaze through games that I've already beaten in the past and I feel as though they add more replayability to those old games by unlocking things that would otherwise be impossible without GG/GS codes and makes them more interesting.

I just came up with an idea thanks to your posts. Maybe there's a Game Genie code I can simply find that would fix this problem and then I can inject it into the ROM file. The problem is that I not only don't know how to program, I don't know how to find and create Game Genie codes either, especially for a very specific issue in only one problematic area in the game. I did experiment a little in the past with NES games but the codes I found were mostly ones that caused garbled graphics so that's no use. I remember my NES Game Genie manual gave tips on how to find GG codes on your own.

The Debug Game Genie code could be useful because it allows someone to unlock anything in Metroid II as well as modify the amount of Metroids left, so it can be convenient simply by letting a coder get to the problematic area right away without having to play through the game. I wouldn't say it's fully a debug code because it doesn't let you walk through walls, see unused parts of the game, or see programming code in general, it's mostly just for easily unlocking all items and Metroids.

https://tcrf.net/Metroid_II:_Return_of_Samus

Thread Information