Quantcast

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 122

Thread: EmuParadise has removed its entire library of retro game ROMs and ISOs

  1. #31
    Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,253
    Rep Power
    132

    Default

    I'm not gonna rail on nintendo for this since the law is pretty clear that you need to protect your IP. What would be nice is if the law changed to favor the consumer rather than corporations which somehow have the same rights as people.

    Copyright should last a maximum of 20 years. At least for a specific product. I don't mean disney losing the rights to mickey mouse necessarily, but a specific old mickey mouse cartoon? If anyone wants to make replicas they should be perfectly allowed as long as they make clear they're replicas and not the original.

    Wouldn't that be nice? It's not like Nintendo and Disney wouldn't still be able to get companies and people to pay them for their old stuff, by tying them to other things.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

  2. #32
    Master of Shinobi Bottino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    1,730
    Rep Power
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    What would be nice is if the law changed to favor the consumer rather than corporations which somehow have the same rights as people.
    https://theconversation.com/how-huma...o-profit-74593

    It's easy. Just assemble a group of average Joes, raise a couple of million zennys and use it to do some heavy lobbying and bribe lawmakers.

    That's the most democratic way, where money wins in the end.

    Here's Nintendo also protecting their interests:
    http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-02-1584_en.htm


    It's the law, therefore it's right.
    lolz you fuckers just want free stuffff.
    When I bought my mint, pristine, sealed copy of Super Mario Dragoon Legend from a ebay scalper for a measly 272,45 zennys I did my part in supporting the wonderful retrogaming market and keeping it alive - without breaking the law, mind you.
    Last edited by Bottino; 08-09-2018 at 04:13 PM.
    [ QCF, HCB + K ]

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I haven't seen anyone explain what they would do if they were in charge. I've already pointed out in another thread that there are obvious legal ramifications (with regard to maintaining ownership of any IP) of letting people pirate games. But even if we forget about that for a moment, if someone wanted to let rom sites continue without any consequences, how would anyone justify that to the board members and shareholders at Nintendo? Before someone makes some smartass reply, bear in mind that some of the rom sites operate at a profit, so you would have to sell the shareholders the idea that Nintendo's products should be given away for free to people who are profiting from them.

    Decisions like those Nintendo have made recently aren't as simple as one individual just taking action on a whim. Companies are at the mercy of internal politics, shareholders and the law. People probably had a long discussion before they came to the conclusion that legal action was necessary. You may even find some people within the company who have no issue with old games being illegally distributed, they just have their hands tied due to copyright laws and a few key individuals breathing down their neck.

    I don't understand why people get so emotional about the whole thing, its not like Nintendo are attacking you personally. But if Nintendo's actions really bother anyone, perhaps the best course of action, before you boycott Nintendo, is for you to join Nintendo's staff and work your way up the corporate ladder so that you can try to change the policies yourself.
    When you lose more than just the Nintendo stuff on a ROM site, it gets frustrating. Arcades are dead and unless you go to a place like Galloping Ghost, the likelihood of finding a non Raw Thrills arcade machine that is working and playable is slim. There's a reason MAME is used a lot. Losing a lot of DOS related games is frustrating since not everyone keeps a Windows 3.1 or 95 computer near them. Flopped systems and CD systems aren't always guaranteed to work and prices for certain games are not going to drop anytime soon unless you're really desperate to spend 60 bucks or more on a Smash Bros or some obscure NES game from 1992.

    Even if someone were to work up the ladder at Nintendo, they wouldn't have any real power. Look at fucking Reggie Fils-Aime. He's a puppet at this point for these dumb old fuckers in the Japan offices. If Nintendo really cares about their IPs, then they should stop being lazy and put all their old games that are completely owned by them on the Switch at a reasonable price. Having the complete Donkey Kong arcade game is a step in the right direction. I like most of their systems, but some of their decisions make me scratch my head at how out of touch they are at times.

  4. #34
    Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I haven't seen anyone explain what they would do if they were in charge. I've already pointed out in another thread that there are obvious legal ramifications (with regard to maintaining ownership of any IP) of letting people pirate games. But even if we forget about that for a moment, if someone wanted to let rom sites continue without any consequences, how would anyone justify that to the board members and shareholders at Nintendo? Before someone makes some smartass reply, bear in mind that some of the rom sites operate at a profit, so you would have to sell the shareholders the idea that Nintendo's products should be given away for free to people who are profiting from them.

    Decisions like those Nintendo have made recently aren't as simple as one individual just taking action on a whim. Companies are at the mercy of internal politics, shareholders and the law. People probably had a long discussion before they came to the conclusion that legal action was necessary. You may even find some people within the company who have no issue with old games being illegally distributed, they just have their hands tied due to copyright laws and a few key individuals breathing down their neck.

    I don't understand why people get so emotional about the whole thing, its not like Nintendo are attacking you personally. But if Nintendo's actions really bother anyone, perhaps the best course of action, before you boycott Nintendo, is for you to join Nintendo's staff and work your way up the corporate ladder so that you can try to change the policies yourself.
    Because I care for games. There is hardly any gaming museums, corps like SEGA have a terrible record of keeping their soruce code and harddrives and too many games can and now will be lost forever, never mind classic Arcade games..

    Still, I should expect no less from a Corp that looks to charge off people making YouTube vids playing their games, charge the earth of old roms and so called remasters and now look to kill a rom site that's been brilliant soruce of forgotten games on forgotten systems, never mind a brilliant soruce for SEGA unported amazing Arcade games. Yes I hate and despise Nintendo. This is horrible move, not least as a back up for games to the industry I love and grew up with
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  5. #35
    Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,122
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Yeah I'm not worried about the ROM's being available somewhere online, in some form, it's just regrettable that Nintendo seems to be launching a culture war (that is impossible to win).

    And it's unfortunate that it will be harder to find now, apparently, even if it's only a little bit harder.

    Plus I happened to be a fan of EmuParadise. I found it on my own, some years ago, and felt like I discovered something lol. The site was user friendly and pretty comprehensive across many different consoles.

    Also my emulation is typically for games that I just never get to buy in real life, because they don't turn up in stores, especially games from other countries, and hacks, etc.

    So it's filled that niche of games that I would not be able to buy. Now the more obscure games will just be that much harder for people to play.

    But whatever, it will still be out there on other sites / torrents / etc.

    Ultimately free sharing of information will win, I think.

    This also reminds me of the controversy over copying DVD's. People seem to forget that VHS tapes were used to copy movies and TV shows for years, and it was promoted as a cool technology of the time.

    Now copying DVD's is the equivalent but some folks act like it's a crime or immoral. It's practically the same exact thing as using a VCR in the 80s lol.

    I think most people will come around to thinking that it's not wrong to have free info sharing on the web. It's what the internet really is, after all, sharing information.

    I can't believe that the promoted use of VHS recordings has been replaced by moral & legal controversy over copying DVD's and sharing ROM's. It's all very similar.

  6. #36
    Rebel scum Hero of Algol MrMatthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Don't worry about it.
    Age
    39
    Posts
    9,844
    Rep Power
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    This also reminds me of the controversy over copying DVD's. People seem to forget that VHS tapes were used to copy movies and TV shows for years, and it was promoted as a cool technology of the time.

    Now copying DVD's is the equivalent but some folks act like it's a crime or immoral. It's practically the same exact thing as using a VCR in the 80s lol.

    I think most people will come around to thinking that it's not wrong to have free info sharing on the web. It's what the internet really is, after all, sharing information.

    I can't believe that the promoted use of VHS recordings has been replaced by moral & legal controversy over copying DVD's and sharing ROM's. It's all very similar.
    No offense, but has VHS been a dominant media format at any time in your lifetime? Believe it or not, itís always been illegal.

    Look, itís very black and white: companies donít want you to have their computer software, books, music, movies, or video games unless you buy it.

  7. #37
    Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vancouver
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,312
    Rep Power
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    No offense, but has VHS been a dominant media format at any time in your lifetime? Believe it or not, itís always been illegal.

    Look, itís very black and white: companies donít want you to have their computer software, books, music, movies, or video games unless you buy it.
    That would be cool for most gamers. The problem is that big business has contradicted itself many times to justify what you are paying for, actually buying, etc. They argued that games were gouged due to the high cost of carts. Then cheap media arrived and they said that it was only an incidental transmission device and you were buying an "artist license" for the contents.

    It's been twisting around so much that they now sue stores for playing the radio and are making gamers pay for the same game tens times over. They're also spending hundreds of millions of dollars to stop you from servicing the devices you pay good money to buy. Just so that they can gouge you with a monopoly on servicing their own defective merchandise.

    It's not as simple as black and white, but when you take that kind of sharp perspective, it's still the companies buying politicians to force you to pay to play the rom of the NES game you already paid $50 for 30 years ago.

    As bad a modern games are with thousands of dollars of content you have to buy in pieces to complete the experience, companies like Nintendo are making people pay hundreds of dollars to play a single NES game. And then taking down their customers' youtube videos and channels for showing footage of them playing the legally obtained games that they've bought several times over.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

  8. #38
    Rebel scum Hero of Algol MrMatthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Don't worry about it.
    Age
    39
    Posts
    9,844
    Rep Power
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    It's not as simple as black and white, but when you take that kind of sharp perspective, it's still the companies buying politicians to force you to pay to play the rom of the NES game you already paid $50 for 30 years ago.
    No, dude... the answer is in your fist-shaking question. Companies still see these games as commercially viable. Of course they want to make money on future digital releases or multi-game compilations or mini consoles. If the market is flooded with free versions of these games, it interferes with their ability to sell them officially. Itís easy to get angry at every company who has the audacity to constantly be looking for profit, but thatís freaking commerce. The sole existence of every business on the planet is to make money. Period.

    And no one is making you buy anything. If you want to pay $5 for Mega Man 2 or Super Mario Bros every five or six years, thatís entirely your choice. Anyone who doesnít want to pay for the game again can just play the game theyíve already purchased. Itís amazingly, mind-numbingly simple. You are not entitled to get a free version of the game on the Switch or PS4 just because you already bought it on the Wii or PS3.

    Look, I freely admit that I prefer not to pay for stuff. Itís annoying when I canít find a free MP3 of, say, Sabotage by Beastie Boys, and end up paying $.99 for it. In most cases, I will always look for the free versions first. But I donít blame the artists or their labels for shutting down MP3 sites. It just means I have to work a little harder to steal something that the owner wants me to pay for.

    Video game roms are no different, and Nintendo is no different from Metallica and all the other artists who shut down Napster.

    You can twist the argument all you want and make all kinds counterpoints, but at the end of the day, it is black and white.

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    companies like Nintendo are making people pay hundreds of dollars to play a single NES game.
    What the hell are you talking about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    . And then taking down their customers' youtube videos and channels for showing footage of them playing the legally obtained games that they've bought several times over.
    Yes, that is douchey of them. They are shutting down free advertising.

    But I think in general they just monetize it for themselves, I havenít actually experienced this myself.

  9. #39
    AH BOB SAGET! Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi SegataS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    My Chair
    Posts
    2,001
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    No offense, but has VHS been a dominant media format at any time in your lifetime? Believe it or not, itís always been illegal.

    Look, itís very black and white: companies donít want you to have their computer software, books, music, movies, or video games unless you buy it.
    FTR I agree with most your stances in this topic but something funny. My dad had this habit of renting many movies per week from every store in the valley and recording them. We had so many movies this way. Never sold them just watched them but I always found it funny he got so pissed at me for taking a free gumball from the grocery store that wasn't free yet he kept pirating these VHS films. Not to get too deep into things but he wasn't the best dad in the world to put it mildly lol.



    Life!? ... What console is that on?

  10. #40
    Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,122
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    No offense, but has VHS been a dominant media format at any time in your lifetime? Believe it or not, itís always been illegal.

    Look, itís very black and white: companies donít want you to have their computer software, books, music, movies, or video games unless you buy it.
    Well that's fine, yes it's black and white that companies don't want their products distributed freely.

    And yes of course VHS was dominant throughout the 80's and 90's. The machines were promoted for taping TV shows, as one of the big reasons to own one.

    Then sometime in the 2000's people started to argue that recording things is illegal and immoral lol. Even though no one ever thought twice about illegality or immorality when VCR's were the dominant tech, and everyone's mom was recording soap operas and talk shows lol.

  11. #41
    Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,122
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    d32f863e-5726-11e6-8e6e-a15b4ee3b0e7.jpg

    Not to mention that everyone had the same casual, comfortable concept for music too.

    Boomboxes had 2 cassette decks specifically so people could copy their friends' tapes.

    VHS and cassette tapes were all about copying whatever people wanted to.

    It's bizarre to grow up with such attitudes and now the same people (like my same family members) have come to think of copying DVD's or CD's as morally wrong and illegal.

    It's like the general attitudes have shifted to the exact opposite of the previous decades. And no one seems to realize the complete, total contradiction of it all.

    If copying / freely distributing media is horrible now, then the 80's and 90's were based on everyone openly being immoral with their VCR's and boomboxes lol.

  12. #42
    Rebel scum Hero of Algol MrMatthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Don't worry about it.
    Age
    39
    Posts
    9,844
    Rep Power
    119

    Default

    Ecco, Iím not sure what you arenít understanding here. You are talking about a bunch of different things here and trying to say they are all the same.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    And yes of course VHS was dominant throughout the 80's and 90's. The machines were promoted for taping TV shows, as one of the big reasons to own one.

    Then sometime in the 2000's people started to argue that recording things is illegal and immoral lol. Even though no one ever thought twice about illegality or immorality when VCR's were the dominant tech, and everyone's mom was recording soap operas and talk shows lol.
    Oh you mean like DVR? The kind of thing that is still marketed today?

    Yeah, not the same thing as illegally recording and distributing movies and music.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    VHS and cassette tapes were all about copying whatever people wanted to.
    They sure as hell werenít. There was ZERO question about the legality (or, more specifically, the lack thereof) of recording movies and music in the 80ís, and it doesnít matter than everyone did it. You couldnít play a movie without first sitting through a 20-second warning that told you that youíd be fined or go to jail for unauthorized recording and distribution of said movie.

    The big difference is that music and movie pirates back in the day could only reach a market of a few hundred people, like at a yard sale or a flea market. Today, with the advent of the internet, a single person ripping and dumping game roms can literally reach every person in the world who has a computer and an internet connection.

    Do you seriously not see the difference? Do you really not understand why this is a bigger issue today than it was thirty years ago? The attitude towards pirated media has not changed at all, itís just become a lot more urgent for the companies who stand to lose money on this.

  13. #43
    Raging in the Streets Sik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,739
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Pretty sure the movie industry hated VHS back then and tried to do whatever it can to stop it (trying to make illegal the ability to record, or imposing taxes, etc.), but they weren't lucky and manufacturers just wanted to sell stuff. DVDs were much harder to record so they finally got to scream louder (but that didn't stop people from regularly getting bootleg discs).

    Reminds me: wasn't the iPod promoted on the basis that it was letting you take MP3s with you?

  14. #44
    Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post

    They sure as hell werenít. There was ZERO question about the legality (or, more specifically, the lack thereof) of recording movies and music in the 80ís, and it doesnít matter than everyone did it. You couldnít play a movie without first sitting through a 20-second warning that told you that youíd be fined or go to jail for unauthorized recording and distribution of said movie.

    The big difference is that music and movie pirates back in the day could only reach a market of a few hundred people, like at a yard sale or a flea market. Today, with the advent of the internet, a single person ripping and dumping game roms can literally reach every person in the world who has a computer and an internet connection.

    Do you seriously not see the difference? Do you really not understand why this is a bigger issue today than it was thirty years ago? The attitude towards pirated media has not changed at all, itís just become a lot more urgent for the companies who stand to lose money on this.

    I don't think it was clear as you make out . I know it was meant to be illegal to record films and programmes off the BBC on VHS in the UK, but everyone did it and for programmes on ITV, Channel 4 it really wasn't clear at all. I really knew of no-one who owned a VHS and Cassette player, that didn't tape films and TV shows of the TV to their VHS player or didn't have some taped music off the radio. I sort of think you underplay VHS too, I can't think of a House Hold that didn't have at least one VHS player, never mind the huge retal market that was there for VHS back inthe day, VHS helped to turn a lot of films that flopped at the box office in to timless classics and finally make a profit like with The Thing or BladeRunner Ect.


    The VHS market in the 80's was huge, well at least in the UK
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  15. #45
    Rebel scum Hero of Algol MrMatthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Don't worry about it.
    Age
    39
    Posts
    9,844
    Rep Power
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post

    Reminds me: wasn't the iPod promoted on the basis that it was letting you take MP3s with you?
    MP3s werenít illegal. Besides, Apple gave you that handy market place to buy music from your favorite artists.
    Last edited by MrMatthews; 08-10-2018 at 04:25 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •