Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dahna Megami Tanjou

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    Greendog is more enjoyable to me than Dahna. It looks better, sounds better, and most importantly plays better.

Being an import doesn't automatically make a game better, and there are plenty of stinkers in the Land of the Rising Sun. I do agree that many American games from the era sucked hard, but Japan had its share too.
    Heh, atleast someone liked it

My brother bought when it first came out and I played the hell out of it for a week straight 'til I couldn't take it anymore. I found the game shallow and soulless, personally.

Anyway, my friend picked up Dahna last year on a chance and both of us were pleasantly surprised. Strange that we miss this one back in the day. Sure, it's not the greatest and maybe even a bit dated for even '91, but it has that old school feel and is pretty cool overall. It reminds me of a mixture of a few classic games.

Greendog and X-Men are the only Genesis games to have the 'honor' of finding their way into my trash under five minutes after getting booted up the first time. No, I'm not kidding.

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight
    That is a surprisingly foolish statement, Ken. Japan gave us Power Rangers. IT CAN DO NO WRONG!
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhjjjjaaaaaaaaayeah i remember it,I have to admit i watched it many times but you have the the stoplight tortois and the eyeball dude where awesome,i think they had a harder job on doing there moves while beeing kicked then actualy kick.They better could have let theyre helmits on then they wouldnt be as famous as a Herman in holland(famous for the wrong reasons).Who want,s to come out the closet cause they also where fans of the well known serie.Hypermegathunderdragontyhphoonintergalactica Zword ready ayaaa power rangers gogo power rangers,ehem sorry got carry,d away.

Last edited by ary incorparated; 11-19-2007 at 08:11 PM.

[ footage not found ] Nameless One buzz_clik's Avatar

Greendog and X-Men are the only Genesis games to have the 'honor' of finding their way into my trash under five minutes after getting booted up the first time. No, I'm not kidding.
    X-Men, eh? Y'know, I just never got that game either. I've tried to be impressed with it, but it just feels sloppy to play. I think the only real reason I want to finish it is just to see the infamous 'reset' screen.

Maybe one day I'll play X-Men and just 'get it'. But until then, there are plenty of better action platformers out there to pop into my Megadrive.

Infamous? Maybe I'll have to go dumpster diving and find that cart again... X-Men 2 wasn't that great, either, but it wasn't so flagrantly horrific.

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

Infamous? Maybe I'll have to go dumpster diving and find that cart again... X-Men 2 wasn't that great, either, but it wasn't so flagrantly horrific.
    man x men 2 was horrific it looked great at first stage and aslo sounded decent but the further you played the scarier it became,the music hurts my ears,nes sounds awesome compared to this and the graphics also where on par with ness really colour lacking and uninspring,this game meets its ugly brother called wolverine adementia wreckage.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Not very much. You should be able to snag a complete copy on eBay for under $20 (when they're up).
    2007, its NOW $60 and I find the game "OKAY", not the worst I played, but really doesn't deserve a 4, a 6 or 7 at best.
    Last edited by Thunderblaze16; 10-25-2011 at 10:40 PM.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I actually kind of like this game as well. I haven't played it much but it seemed to be right up my alley, just kind of difficult.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

This is a fine game, the score of 4/10 is too low!

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

Oh come on, Kollision, Galg kicks this all over the yard, even as a platformer.

@ Melf = Spot on review. Score's too high, but since everything's covered in the review that becomes nonessential. One of the first games I tried through emulation, thinking "Sweet, now I can play all these imports.....Oh no..."

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Nice little hidden gem. From what I've played it'd deserve a 6/10 (or 3/5).
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Quote Originally Posted by retrospiel View Post
    Nice little hidden gem. From what I've played it'd deserve a 6/10 (or 3/5).
    Or 1.5/2.5.

I played this today and it was quite brutal. The lifebar is much too small at the beginning and the pacing of enemies is overwhelming. For example, the first horseback stage begins with one enemy from behind and one from ahead of you - at the same time. It's more proper to begin with one of them, then the other and then maybe both at the same time. Also, the jumping is so stiff and hard to control.

To give the game some credit, I think they have done a fine job in creating an epic atmosphere. The music fits the mood, there is a story told both in animated cutscenes in the levels and in stills between them. Also, sound effects such as the horse gallop add a lot to the atmosphere.

Though I haven't played the entire game yet, I agree with the review there is some potential in this title. A few extra days spent on the level design and controls could have made this a true gem.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

I'm surprised Dahna is so poorly received. I bought it around 1997, enjoyed it then and still think it's a solid action platformer.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Personally, after having translated it, I thought it was a 5/10, maaaaybe 6/10 game, so I guess the review isn't that far off from my opinion. Nothing particularly memorable about it perhaps, but it was alright while it lasted, and felt pretty average in all categories to me. Interestingly, it also has the distinction of being the absolute easiest project we did (took us only 3 days to get this one translated).

this game have good feeling and ideias, amazing atmosfere but have terrible gameplay thats ruim part of fun!

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Thread Information