Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canadian Genesis, eh.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert ITViking's Avatar

I picked up a Canadian copy of 'The Revenge of Shinobi' which I'm pretty excited about. This game and the original Sonic the Hedgehog were my first Sega Genesis games back in 1991.

I decided to include a few 'side by side' comparison images with the US version I have in my collection.

This first images is a front cover comparison, with the Canadian box on the left, and the US release on the right. Notice the differences in title font, and placement/positioning of the artwork. For instance, look at the position of Shinobi's head in relation to the background character.

RoS_Cdn_Vs_US_001.jpg

The back of the Canadian box features the multi-language layout typical of the PAL games, while still featuring the North American 'Genesis' label.

RoS_Cdn_Vs_US_002.jpg

Side view comparison, with Canadian version on the left, and US version on the right.

RoS_Cdn_Vs_US_003.jpg

The instructions manual is in the PAL 'sideways' format.

RoS_Cdn_Vs_US_004.jpg

Here's a picture of the board inside, which is stamped as MPR version 12930F. The game itself appears to be revision 1.01 as the intro screens look identical to US revision 1.01 (board 12930-H).

The date stamp on the chip indicates it was produced in the 4th week of 1990 (9004).

RoS_Cdn_Vs_US_007.jpg
    Last edited by ITViking; 12-23-2018 at 10:37 PM.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

That's interesting. The design and logo on the spine and back of the Canadian box is the same as the PAL European version of Revenge of Shinobi. The front cover art and design is the same for all versions though (PAL, US and Canadian).

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    That's interesting. The design and logo on the spine and back of the Canadian box is the same as the PAL European version of Revenge of Shinobi. The front cover art and design is the same for all versions though (PAL, US and Canadian).
    If you look again at the front artwork you'll see some differences as well. Check the lettering 'The Revenge Of' on both boxes. Also, the positioning of Shinobi's head against the enemy in the background is different.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ITViking View Post
    If you look again at the front artwork you'll see some differences as well. Check the lettering 'The Revenge Of' on both boxes. Also, the positioning of Shinobi's head against the enemy in the background is different.
    Ah yes... well spotted!

I thought it might be worth mentioning that the #22, associated with Irwin Toys distribution of Sega Genesis items in Canada, appears in a number of places on the console equipment and at least one of the pack in games.

On the Canadian consoles themselves...

Sega_Cdn_PS02r.jpg

On the related Canadian power supply units...

Sega_Cdn_PS01r.jpg

And on at least one Canadian pack in game (Sonic)....

DSCN7983_30per.jpg

I'm excited. I BIN'd another Canadian Sega Genesis on eBay and it should be arriving shortly. The nice thing about this one is that it's an 'Altered Beast' variant with the corresponding FJ846EUSASEGA FCC ID#. It has the Canadian model # of MK-1601-22, the '22' indicating that it was distributed by Irwin Toys for the Canadian market. The serial # 30X04576 indicates that it was made at the Taiwan factory (#3), in the year 1990 (#0), in production run 'X', and it was only the 4576th unit produced in that run.

I'm curious to see what version of motherboard is in the unit. I'm guessing it will be a VA3.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

I never liked those multi-language Canadian Sega releases as much (aside from Sonic 1 because of the box art) because of the extra thick manuals. Almost every Genesis game I bought back then happened to be English-only "US-style" ones. This was in the Vancouver area so I imagine they didn't need to cater to Quebec out West.

My Master System collection was more 50/50 split between English-only and multi-language. I think multi-language SMS games were more common in Canada than on Genesis because they didn't have to change the system name to distinguish from Europe, just the barcode.

Thread Information