Quantcast

Thread: Sega CD Backup RAM question

Wildside Expert

Default Sega CD Backup RAM question

I have a model 2 Sega CD that has a weak battery. Every few weeks the internal memory needs to be reformatted. If I get a backup RAM cart, will I still need to constantly reformat the internal memory, or will having the cart bypass the system constantly needing to reformat?

Also, does a model 2 Sega CD require a 1602 or a 2103 power supply?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Jake Armitage's Avatar

Yeah - you have to reformat every time you turn the system on. I haven't got around to replacing my onboard battery and have to do that whenever I use my sega cd.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

You need the 1602 for both types of Sega CD.

And as Jake said, you will need to reformat each time.

A trick you can do (I did this with my LaserActive PAC before I replaced the battery with a super capacitor), to work around this is as follows:
    Start up the system with the cart in, then go to the memory manager and format the memory of the system and play as normal.
    When you are done playing, RESET the system (don't power off), then go back into the Memory settings and copy your save to the cart, then shut the system off.

When you are ready to continue from your save, start the system again with the cart in, format the memory of the SYSTEM, then copy you save from the cart back over to the system memory.
    When you are done playing, do the same as above and overwrite your old save.

It's kind of a pain in the butt but it does work, however I recommend just replacing the battery in the system. After doing this for awhile you'll get frustrated enough to appreciate having a working battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One pyroesp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    ... (I did this with my LaserActive PAC before I replaced the battery with a super capacitor), ...
    I wonder how long the super cap stays charged. Have you tested how long it takes to deplete the super cap ?
    This was something I wanted to do but instead got a rechargeable 2032 cell, as I wasn't sure the super cap would stay charged long enough.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pyroesp View Post
    I wonder how long the super cap stays charged. Have you tested how long it takes to deplete the super cap ?
    This was something I wanted to do but instead got a rechargeable 2032 cell, as I wasn't sure the super cap would stay charged long enough.
    I went at least maybe 3-4 months without powering it on and the saves were still working fine, according to the specs it should last for quite awhile I think. I can't remember the exact size I used however.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I've had saves last years. Same with saves on the back-up ram cart.

Of course all of our hardware is now that much older...
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Amerika's Avatar

Replacing the battery and installing a new holder so that you can replace it easier in the future is pretty simple for the Sega CD model 2. Pulling the motherboard is easy and you'd just need to desolder the old holder/battery and install a new one. I use the holders from console5 that stand straight up and I bend them slightly down so that the battery doesn't the shield. You have to run a small ground wire from the center pin to the far hole but it's a "my first mod" sort of difficulty level.

Just make sure you replace it with an ML2032 rechargeable battery and not a CR2032. There are also LIR2032 rechargeables...but I don't have any experience with them.

Thread Information