Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tanglewood

Pengo Tanglewood

Big Evil Corporation makes a stellar debut on the Genesis with Tanglewood, an adorable platformer that was designed from the ground up with an original console development kit. Great presentation, rock-solid gameplay, and a lovable character make this a game Genesis owners need to snap up for their libraries. Read our full review for more details.

It keeps abbreviating Big Evil Corporation as BIC instead of BEC ^^; (I spotted it at least three times)

Big Evil Pen Brand™

That was a nice long review for Tanglewood. Thanks Melf! I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I also love this game. It's been a really long time since I've enjoyed a game this much. It's new, fresh and solid.

I really hope words spreads far and wide. I want Big Evil Corp to continue to rumble on Gen/MD games!
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

The game was an amazing experience for me as well. I think it took me at about 6 hours in total over the last few days to get through it. Quite the surprises in chapter 3 and later on!! I do have a few critiques I would have added:

There are quite a few places in the game where the fuzzl nests aren't lit up by the flowers? Not sure if there was a technical reason for that or what..but as an example, the fuzzl nests are usually lit up in the first few sections of the game but become less so later on as you progress. Doesn't prevent them from doing what is needed but seemed to not be consistent.

I did encounter one bug that required me to kill myself off to restart that section. It was a spot where a fuzzl isn't able to be moved back to its nest. I don't want to get too specific without giving away a pretty big spoiler in the game. But suffice it to say, if you move to quickly in that section, then the fuzzl isn't able to be picked up and moved to the nest later and it is required to get past that part of the game.

Also, I've a question about the bonus areas? There were only a few chapters where I didn't quite get all the fireflies, but I don't recall anything different in those levels when I did pick them all up vs not? Just the end of chapter summary showing 8/8 across the board for all acts of that chapter?

Hey CrossBow,

I know for certain that Matt from Big Evil Corp would really want to see how you managed to get into a spot where you could no longer move a Fuzzle into it's nest. Fixing game stopping bugs is top on his list. Can you record your gameplay or take a screen shot?

Regarding fireflies, you need them all (100%) before you can see what they are for. I wont spoil it but it's worth going for.

You know, I've never noticed a Fuzzl nest to be different than any other. They all have a nest with a little 'flower light' shining on it. Could it be that the color of the level (day to night) made them appear different to you? Some nests already have a Fuzzl in it; those you can't do anything with and aren't needed for puzzles.
    Sega Dude

The ones that have fuzzls in them already were the only ones that were lit later on in the game. But yeah..I don't think a single fuzzl nest was lit up in the last two chapters that I played. I played the rom on my Genesis BTW. And I would have to go back through to the spot where the issue occurred and knowing my luck, I wouldn't be able to replicate it. It only happened the one time.

I will shoot you a PM about where I encountered it to see if you might be able to replicate it on your side.

Got your details. Thank you! I sent them to Matt so he can have a look.
    Sega Dude

I don't it's a good idea to review a game just days after it's release, when you're still enamored with it, so to speak ( that's how magazines and games journalists exasperatedly proclaim that 'X' game is "the best of all time", 10/10 and so on so forth ). Also, the developer not only is a member here, but has also been incredibly supportive, communicative and friendly throughout Tanglewood's development.

Pier Solar was overly praised when it was released, but when the "holy shit it's a very pretty new Mega Drive game" phase had passed it's problems became crystal clear to a lot of people.

I think it's necessary to give an appropriate amount of time and distancing before being able to do a fair and firm analysis of a game, especially in this case.
    Last edited by Bottino; 08-24-2018 at 07:13 PM.
    [ QCF, HCB + K ]

Road Rasher

While i applaud the development of a new genesis game, i think reviewer gives it a free pass just because its a new game. If the game released bitd, it would have gotten 5-6 out of ten. The level design is not so good imo. Very repetitive too

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    I don't it's a good idea to review a game just days after it's release, when you're still enamored with it, so to speak ( that's how magazines and games journalists exasperatedly proclaim that 'X' game is "the best of all time", 10/10 and so on so forth ). Also, the developer not only is a member here, but has also been incredibly supportive, communicative and friendly throughout Tanglewood's development.

Pier Solar was overly praised when it was released, but when the "holy shit it's a very pretty new Mega Drive game" phase had passed it's problems became crystal clear to a lot of people.

I think it's necessary to give an appropriate amount of time and distancing before being able to do a fair and firm analysis of a game, especially in this case.
    I got my copy a bit before release for review purposes, and I played it quite a bit and reviewed it based on what it is. You could make the argument of finding flaws in games after the fact in practically every single game ever made. Also, anyone who feels differently about Tanglewood is more than welcome to write a "Double Take" article.

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    While i applaud the development of a new genesis game, i think reviewer gives it a free pass just because its a new game. If the game released bitd, it would have gotten 5-6 out of ten. The level design is not so good imo. Very repetitive too
    So because my opinion isn't the same as yours, it's because the game is new? New games are being released all the time. That has nothing to do with it. Just because I didn't score it the same way you did doesn't mean it got a "free pass." It simply means that I have a different opinion of the game. It's shocking, I know, but it happens.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    The quality of any one aspect is independent of overall quality as a game. If a game succeeds at being entertaining or enjoyable then it is a success.

Many games from bitd which are now championed as "legendary" classics had bad or poor design.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

So how about some fresh thoughts and impressions now that Tanglewood is not day one brand new anymore.

Who's completed the game? Seen both endings?

I did help Beta test Tanglewood so for me it's a much older game than for most. I've lost count of how many times I've completed it and I still feel Tanglewood a solid 10/10. Some of that score might be attributed to being apart of the Beta team and having access to talk with Matt and the other testers. There's a level of comradery that comes with a shared experience that certainly might have influence my impression of the game. But I'm trying really hard not to be biased and I really feel the game is truly outstanding.

Anything you wish was in the game? Any ideas for Tanglewood 2?
    Sega Dude

Now that I have the audio redone and sorted on my Genesis, I will pop my megaED back in with the rom and play through it again to see if I can attain all the fireflies. Also to see exactly where that spot was I mentioned before that prevented me from continuing and causing me to kill myself off to redo that section.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Are there any updates on the cartridge release? Someone pre-ordered it for me as a gift, so I'm kind of out of the loop on this beyond the fact that there was a delay.

I did get the Steam code, so theoretically I could play it on my Everdrive, but as it's been over 20 years since I've opened a new Genesis game, I'd rather have that be my first experience with the game.

Level 1 Blast Processor Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    Are there any updates on the cartridge release? Someone pre-ordered it for me as a gift, so I'm kind of out of the loop on this beyond the fact that there was a delay.

I did get the Steam code, so theoretically I could play it on my Everdrive, but as it's been over 20 years since I've opened a new Genesis game, I'd rather have that be my first experience with the game.
    We're waiting on the PCB shipment, but we have everything ready to go in our workshop for when they arrive. Sorry about the delays, we ran into complication after complication, and have a lot to improve for the second batch, but we're nearly there now.

Thread Information