Quantcast

Thread: Framedrops question

Wildside Expert

Default Framedrops question

So I have a model 1 PAL megadrive I bought 6 years ago. It is switched for NTSC-U and NTSC-J. The hardware always seemed in a pretty good shape until now. I play it a lot and most of the time I use it with an everdrive MD (version 1, bought it in 2012 too).

for the last year I've been noticed some framedrops that I believe weren't there before, mainly in sonic games (I use the switch and play them in NTSC). I'm actually playing sonic 1 and experiencing a lot of it... it's far from making it impossible to play, but it pollutes the global megadrive experience a bit. I've been watching many videos now of sonic 1 on megadrive and I can't notice those framedrops to happen in those...

Is that possible that my megadrive is damaged ?
    or the everdrive ?

I use a original and proper power supply.

Try:

A different tv
    Another video cable
    A different power supply and power outlet

Eliminate all possibilities before seeing if itís the Megadrive. If it is, try and reflow or remove the mods that have been done and test again. If you still have frame drops after trying all that, try using a multimeter to test out if you have a bad connection somewhere but itís not looking good at this point. It honestly sounds like your video cable is bad or the av out port is damaged or the av in on your tv.

Master of Shinobi

What type of TV are you using, and how are you connecting it?

The signal that a US Genesis or Japanese Mega Drive outputs is already slightly out of spec for a 60Hz signal on a modern TV, but a 60Hz modded PAL console is very out of spec unless the clock crystal has been replaced. This isn't typically a problem on CRT TVs or modern monitors, but modern TVs can be quite inflexible about the refresh rates they expect to receive. How they handle out of spec signals is a bit of a crapshoot.

My 4K TV connected to my modded Mega Drive through a Framemeister either stutters slightly (it's only really noticeable in horizontal shooters) or displays horrible frame tearing depending on the settings used. Its PC mode works the best, but that locks out virtually all picture adjustment controls.

If you're using a CRT, I have no idea.

Wildside Expert

thanks a lot for those answers guys. Well i'm sorry to post such a noob question there... I'm dealing with sega megadrive since 1994 and this is the first time I see something like this so I got worry a little.

I've recently been playing on a bacis LCD TV and didn't think at all this could affect the refresh rates. I've got no problems at all with modern hardware like PS4 etc.

I plugged back some CRT today and noticed a better performance. I will try next to get a new power supply and video cable. But I guess now the problem is fixed and the small slowdowns who stayed are normal in sonic games.

Sonic 2 loves to slow down :​v

Try seeing if there's a game mode you can turn on. But yeah, newer TVs are a lagfest (it's a problem even for modern consoles, it's just that now games can be designed taking it into account). Game mode tries to reduce the lag, but there's still some lag left, especially when the signal is not native resolution (which results in a whole frame being wasted as it waits for it to be streamed so it can stretch it on screen). And some TVs may always slap some extra postprocessing no matter what you do.

It's actually a better idea to get a monitor if you can try that :​/ Also this is another reason for using one of the upscalers, you can remove some lag by feeding the TV a signal at its native resolution ready to go. You need a good upscaler to ensure it won't negate that, though.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Chaos Fusion's Avatar

Just for context as well, when does the slowdown occur? Taking a hit and losing a ton of rings is a major cause, same with majority of Labyrinth Zone or just randomly. Also, this may not be the issue but if you start Sonic 1 in PAL mode and then switch to NTSC, it messes with the game resulting in the game speeding up and slowing down randomly.

Thread Information