Quantcast

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: Streets of Rage 4 (Official Thread)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Finally someone else who said this, as new Comix Zone these kind of graphics could've make sense.

The solution is obvious: we clearly need a Comix Zone 2 too (・<・)

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Watch it get announced and then the trailer has a SOR-style art design for some reason.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    It sorta happened
    Didn't look good tho

Life!? ... What console is that on?

The game looks hopelessly bland and boring. No personality. And knowing that the best of Yuzo Koshiro's soundtracks were basically lifted from 90s House and Club hits, the previewed soundtrack just doesn't sound good either. Probably won't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Elemental Master WCPO Agent GameUser-16-32-128's Avatar

I don't mind the influences Yuzo had, what really irks me is the weak ass sound effects in SOR4. No bone crunching sounds are present, only samples of someone punching bags of potato chips. Hell, even the samurai sword slash sounds like someone swinging a plastic butter knife!

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    And knowing that the best of Yuzo Koshiro's soundtracks were basically lifted from 90s House and Club hits
    People have been making this accusation for decades. And yes, there are a few cases where Koshiro has quite obviously "lifted" parts of tracks. The Shamen - Move Any Mountain is the obvious example, but even back when SOR2 came out, it was obvious. I mean, Move Any Mountain was a huge hit at the time.

Despite that, the vast majority of Koshiro's work is unique or transformative enough that it's really hard to argue his best hits were all stolen. Even in the video you posted, most of the similarity is just similar sounding instruments or similar bass lines, but when you listen to the whole tracks back-to-back, I think it's clear they aren't stolen. Certainly heavily inspired (as most music is), but not stolen.

As the title of that video implies, it's just focusing on Koshiro's influences. I'm not sure why people are jumping to the conclusion that he stole all of his music. There is no good evidence for that.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

If memory serves, Yuzo Koshiro usually gets all the praise, but history forgot the rest of the musicians who worked on SoR. I especially remember that, in SoR 3, the best tracks were composed by someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    If memory serves, Yuzo Koshiro usually gets all the praise, but history forgot the rest of the musicians who worked on SoR. I especially remember that, in SoR 3, the best tracks were composed by someone else.
    Why is everybody so down on Yuzo Koshiro recently?

Koshiro composed all of SOR1 by himself.

He composed most of SOR2 by himself, but brought on his close associate Motohiro Kawashima towards the end:

Quote Originally Posted by Motohiro Kawashima
    Bare Knuckle II’s soundtrack is credited as a joint work between me and Yuzo Koshiro, but – I’m not sure I should talk about this – it was a screw-up on my part. Koshiro-san had to go in and fix a lot of things. When I saw the finished results I was blown away. I was able to turn things around with a song called “Expander.” I remember Koshiro-san being like, “This is awesome!” when he heard it.*
    Koshiro composed 8 tracks for SOR3, and Kawashima composed 10. For SOR3, Koshiro was mostly using his new automatic composition system, while Kawashima mostly composed the traditional way.

So the "rest of the musicians who worked on SoR" is literally a single guy who mostly worked on the third game.

By the way, Motohiro Kawashima is also working on the SOR4 soundtrack, along with Hideki Naganuma (Jet Set Radio), Yoko Shimomura (Street Fighter II), and Keiji Yamagishi (Ninja Gaiden).

* https://daily.redbullmusicacademy.co...hima-interview

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    I am not.

For SOR3, Koshiro was mostly using his new automatic composition system, while Kawashima mostly composed the traditional way.
    It's nice that Koshiro experimented with new stuff, but in the end, players judge the result, not the process.

So the "rest of the musicians who worked on SoR" is literally a single guy who mostly worked on the third game.
    I knew there was one guy in particular, but didn't know if there were more, so I stayed vague. Whether it's one guy or ten, I just wanted to highlighted Koshiro didn't do it all alone, as it's something most people overlook.

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    It's nice that Koshiro experimented with new stuff, but in the end, players judge the result, not the process.
    SOR3 represents exactly why Sega was great: they gave Koshiro (and many other developers) complete freedom to experiment. The end result was a completely experimental, inaccessible soundtrack that some love and some hate, but that is totally awesome for being something new.

Here is Fuze, composed by Kawashima using the automatic composition system:

Hard to believe that's from an early-1994 16-bit video game. I would take that any day over more of the same.

No idea. That man's Revenge Of Shinobi soundtrack is the best 16-bit music score of all time. 'The Shinobi' is my 16-bit music track ever. Incredible from such a small cart.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information