Quantcast

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Streets of Rage 4 (Official Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    at least there is Yuzo Koshiro, the music (and only the music) will be original SOR.
    I wish the art was handled by Ayano Koshiro and Ancient, it's looks really bad with the current French comic look.

Game in general still looks bad, it's a real shame when Sega license their IP to western indie developers.
    I disagree. I think this looks fantastic.
    05/05/15

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

at least there is Yuzo Koshiro, the music (and only the music) will be original SOR.
    I wish the art was handled by Ayano Koshiro and Ancient, it's looks really bad with the current French comic look.

Game in general still looks bad, it's a real shame when Sega license their IP to western indie developers.
    Well said
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    And you would be correct.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Same here. It's looking pretty great.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Virtua Hunter's Avatar

If the name was "Kinda of Rage" yes, it would look fantastic.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

It looks refreshingly awesome. And instead of some bland, run of the mill polygon brawler we get an actual 2D fighter with distinct personality. Day 1 purchase for me for sure.

Ninja

If the name was "Kinda of Rage" yes, it would look fantastic.
    If you want the same thing as years ago you could play Streets of Rage 2 but I see this as one hell of an improved progression of the series. If you really want a bad example you should look up that attempted 3D Streets of Rage game that got canned for obvious reasons.

Like I said before in this thread, some of you guys need to seriously stop living in the past and give this game a fair shot at playing it before you decide it's the worst thing since Fantasia was on the Genesis.
    05/05/15

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I've said my piece regarding the graphic style earlier in the thread so I won't revisit that, but as far as the music is concerned I'm hoping the compositions aren't too nostalgia driven. Calling back some of the themes (not simply copying the style wholesale) from the original trilogy would great, but IMO the soundtrack needs to have it's own identity to reflect the changes in modern electronic music and keep at the cutting edge. Just like the originals did.

Embracing the sound of modern Drum 'n Bass, Neurofunk like Noisia, cut with some old school big beat electronica like Prodigy would be a heady mix if done right.

Hero of Algol

Like I said before in this thread, some of you guys need to seriously stop living in the past and give this game a fair shot at playing it before you decide it's the worst thing since Fantasia was on the Genesis.
    And some of you guys need to seriously stop assuming that any remaster/reboot is an improvement.
    There are a few things you shouldn't simply ignore while trying to put in a bracket people who have different opinions than yours.

SOR2 had one of the best graphics/animation/pixel art of its time even when compared to stuff running on superior hardware.
    SOR4 doesn't have strict hardware limitations and yet it doesn't look anywhere near as good as some of the "2D" games released years ago. Games such as Sundered simply look generations ahead of it as far as fluidity, color use and details go. Heck, I'd even say that something cheaper and older such as Pankapu still looks significantly better.
    And let's not talk about more modern-style graphics such as Ori and the Blind Forest or pixel graphics stuff such as Owlboy.

SOR4 graphics (art style included) belong to a Shank 2 sequel that could have been released 5 years ago.
    The key frames are trash, the drawing style is generic, there's an overall lack of detail despite the high resolution and the use of color is poor to put it mildly.

I'd argue it's you living in the past if you think its graphics are "fantastic" by today's standards.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Great post, Barone. Perfectly sums it up.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

I greatly respect his friend Barone and the other colleagues who did not like the art.
    But I completely disagree, I love the new art, everything seems out of comics, something like Comix Zone, the richness of details, like electricity cables, smoke, silhouette on the glass, everything looks superb, and I think still pose better and goes , I hope they continue with this style.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    SOR2 had one of the best graphics/animation/pixel art of its time even when compared to stuff running on superior hardware.
    That's rather debatable. Some of those SOR2 backgrounds look quite bland and uninspired. And when you take a look at the actual character animation frames, anatomy is often way off. People do not look that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    And some of you guys need to seriously stop assuming that any remaster/reboot is an improvement.
    There are a few things you shouldn't simply ignore while trying to put in a bracket people who have different opinions than yours.
    Now that's not fair since I've been critical of many remaster/reboots but from what I've seen personally so far this isn't the case.

No argument from me on this front.

SOR4 doesn't have strict hardware limitations and yet it doesn't look anywhere near as good as some of the "2D" games released years ago. Games such as Sundered simply look generations ahead of it as far as fluidity, color use and details go. Heck, I'd even say that something cheaper and older such as Pankapu still looks significantly better.
    For me while it comes down to personal tastes and while I can't deny that some people don't like the art style for SoR4, I think it's pleasant to look and overall very solid to see.

And let's not talk about more modern-style graphics such as Ori and the Blind Forest or pixel graphics stuff such as Owlboy.
    Didn't really care too much about those games but I can see why you feel that way. Generally tho this game gives me the same feeling I saw when looking at Wonderboy III. I think this will turn out fine.

SOR4 graphics (art style included) belong to a Shank 2 sequel that could have been released 5 years ago.
    The key frames are trash, the drawing style is generic, there's an overall lack of detail despite the high resolution and the use of color is poor to put it mildly.
    I'll just say that we'll agree to disagree on this since I think the key frames look great and the art style looks badass. There's a ton of color and lighting happening from what I've been seeing so far.

I'd argue it's you living in the past if you think its graphics are "fantastic" by today's standards.
    You could but every time people compare it to previous games in the series I think it way beyond harsh seeing as I still think SoR3 sucked to me mainly because I couldn't stand the music but I gave it a fair shake overall and still think the game play was solid. I think we could browbeat this all day but it comes down to us having the game in hand & giving it a chance by simply playing it.
    05/05/15

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by MushaAleste View Post
    That's rather debatable. Some of those SOR2 backgrounds look quite bland and uninspired. And when you take a look at the actual character animation frames, anatomy is often way off. People do not look that way.
    'Cause people breath by wide opening their mouths and biting hard like some Capcom characters used to do that back then.
    We're talking 1992 (or earlier).

About the "rather debatable", I recommend you reading publications of the time.

For me while it comes down to personal tastes and while I can't deny that some people don't like the art style for SoR4, I think it's pleasant to look and overall very solid to see.
    The point I was arguing is not the fact that some/many people like it; but that not liking it means we live in the past.
    SOR4 graphics are actually outdated by today's industry standards. There's a clear trend towards thin contours, volume defined by shading, seamlessly animation, seamlessly lighting, etc. Pretty much all newer 2D games and recent sequels are headed into that direction; OTOH SOR4 uses thick contours, flatter shading and volume defined by lines, high colored lighting over low colored art, noticeable transitions between frames, etc.

I think we could browbeat this all day but it comes down to us having the game in hand & giving it a chance by simply playing it.
    That's why I didn't mention gameplay.

WCPO Agent

We have long since reached the point where the hardware is so powerful, that there is little point in bringing up graphical prowess. Especially for 2d games. The look of a game is no longer defined by hardware capabilities and using them to your advantage. The look of one game is now entirely decided by what artistic direction they go for and how much they can achieve out of those. In that context I think it is entirely wrong to say that SOR4 is not up to the standards of the "current generation" (whatever that may be - xbox 360, xbox one, xbox one scorpio, or that new xbox one-two with the new AMD Navi graphics? I lost track.). It does not look like that because they do not want to make it look like that. They are aiming for a different direction. Take Cuphead for example: one of the best looking 2d games released recently, but would SOR4 benefit from looking like a 1930s theatrical cartoon?

Furthermore the game is still in development. From what I've seen, the very first teaser trailer already had everything they had done at that point showing, which means they've been working at the game for barely a year. Given the fidelity and fluidity of the artwork, that's just simply not enough time to get the game done looking great. Until the game is pushed into the stores, anything can happen to its graphics. They could decide the direction is wrong and retool what they can. They could ship it looking worse than the first teaser trailer (which was most likely a mockup). They could cancel the game altogether (wouldn't be the first highly-anticipated sequel to get the boot, remember Megaman Legends 3?).

Until the game is out, it's too early to criticize it for its looks.

And really, fans of the game has been waiting for this sequel for quarter of a century now, and your best argument is that it doesn't look up to your standards of 2d graphics? Well fuck you too, I guess.

Thread Information