Quantcast

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Streets of Rage 4 (Official Thread)

Banned by Administrators Wildside Expert

Looks great to me, these are not cheap "flash" animations... high quality stuff as far as modern transition goes. Can't wait to try it out

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

I would actually really enjoy that sort of cartoon as cutscenes in the game, but the in-game graphics are a disgrace :S. It's not just being "cartoony", I would be fine with a comix zone style SoR game, it just looks bad!
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Fun game! I wanna play!

Since this thread started, I've:

- Finished an Ed.D
    - Written 2 books
    - Saw my oldest daughter go from elementary school to high school
    - Changed jobs

Hopefully, the game will be released before I retire.
    Good!

I hope Paprium is delayed for another year so I can graduate from game design college before it's out.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Arm View Post
    The character design and art direction are rather nice (no extravagant looking sprites or fluorescent colors like paprium.) On the other hand, though the rough lineart style worked for the chubby reinterpretation of dragon's trap characters, the ingame sprites in this look too rough for the sequel of such a franchise as SOR imo. I guess its still pretty early to give a clear opinion so I am not sure. I fear now that there is an official SOR 4 for the fans, this will represent a difficult contender for paprium after all these years of rumor and frustration.
    Dragon's Trap remake looked great but those characters are so cartoonish it's nothing like animating humans in SOR.

Thing about Paprium colors, we have no idea how they will really look on real hardware and a CRT. The images were high res with thousands of colors, I converted one to Genesis resolution and 61 colors in Photoshop and it looked much worse. The Photoshop method is imperfect too since it assumes all of those colors can be used on any object, on real hardware it might be even more garish.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Dragon's Trap remake looked great but those characters are so cartoonish it's nothing like animating humans in SOR.

Thing about Paprium colors, we have no idea how they will really look on real hardware and a CRT. The images were high res with thousands of colors, I converted one to Genesis resolution and 61 colors in Photoshop and it looked much worse. The Photoshop method is imperfect too since it assumes all of those colors can be used on any object, on real hardware it might be even more garish.
    Right. The SOR characters are very different from wonderboy so I guess maybe they will improve the visuals after this trailer (hopefully). Concerning paprium colors, wasn't the trailer featuring actual game footage without correction ?

Nameless One

The trailer of SOR4 show to magnificent flaws, suck arse music and a low rnemy count on screen for a genre that's all about crowd control. Looks like a SNES beat'em up this way.

Training-in-Hedgehog Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert tokay's Avatar

Even if there is still room for improvement, I'm thinking the exact opposite.
    Good that SEGA gave one more time the chance to work on its past glories to a 1/3 studio.
    Sonic Mania was great, I expect something equivalent here.

[edit] BTW I finished my work on Paprium several weeks ago and got the whole game spoiled. I hope it will be postponed again so I have time to forget everything!

Quote Originally Posted by TulioAdriano View Post
    Yep, now we have a Paprium killer. Great job Fonzie.

Honestly I think animation is sub par, and graphics look rough as hell, but well if that's what kids these days want right? As long as it sells...

I wonder how much of the SOR Remix team got involved in this.
    I think that the style or art dosen't fit on SOR game, wonderboy is perfeft but SOR always passes a arcade and more "mature" assests..
    this game is much kids like for me.. but lets wait and hope for the best

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Road Rasher

Artwork in game footage is TERRIBLE, animations are ok for cutscenes and intro, hopefuloy we can change it on the fly to 16bit like dragons trap, dotemu did an amazing job on that game.Also only 2 characters? I want max
    Last edited by PreZZ; 08-27-2018 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    I would actually really enjoy that sort of cartoon as cutscenes in the game, but the in-game graphics are a disgrace :S. It's not just being "cartoony", I would be fine with a comix zone style SoR game, it just looks bad!

THIS!!!

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

The Shadow knows Road Rasher Allard's Avatar

Well, even if SOR 4 sucks (I'm actually really thrilled for it and don't share the negative feelings towards it... I mean, low enemy count in a trailer that is less than a minute long? You serious?) and Paprium never comes out... hey, there's always The TakeOver
    Formerly known as -RT

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Artwork in game footage is TERRIBLE, animations are ok for cutscenes and intro, hopefuloy we can change it on the fly to 16bit like dragons trap, dotemu did an amazing job on that game.Also only 2 characters? I want max

This is exactly what I was thinking as well: that would be pretty neat if they allowed to user to change the game from 16bit graphics to cartoon graphics like we saw in "Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap" ... admittedly, I had reservations about how good that game was but when I finally played it, I loved it!. So much so that I have multiple copies of the game!

I don't really think it's fair for me to comment on the art style and gameplay since we only saw a 10 second clip of the game in action in a 45 second video. Butopefully the guys from DotEmu will drop by and take the time to provide us with more information about Streets of Rage 4.

Anyways, thanks for posting the video on the forum! I had a big grin on my face when I was riding the train home this afternoon!

Addendum: Hopefully Yuzo Koshiro will produce some 90s techno tracks for the game! That would be A W E S O M E !
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Well, at least SoR4 was just announced and already we got good gameplay footage, whereas Paprium has been announced for aeons and we still don't have clean gameplay footage!

Just have to ponder that if SoR4 fails and Paprium succeeds, it will be extra good for Fonzie. I do believe Paprium will be better than SoR4, but SoR4 will be good too.
    -Meu blog sobre Mega Drive/Genesis.
    - no youtube.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Yohko16's Avatar

No idea why some people compare Paprium, a game made for a 4th gen console, with Streets of Rage 4 which is made for current hardwares.

For now, based on the gameplay videos that we got (which seem the closest to the real thing), Paprium mostly looks impressive as far as 4th gen beat 'em ups go.

Also it has mature art direction which reminds of Street of Rage 3 which was edgier and grittier than the previous Street of Rage games.

I hope that Streets of Rage 4 will keep things this way and won't turn into a tamed, generic game.

Thread Information