Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Genesis Games.... So Bad... That They're Good?

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by nv0bdizc View Post
    At least the producers were self-aware. It was intended to be cheesy, right?

... right ... ?
    Definitely intended to be funny, it was basically a parody of 80s B movies. But "so bad it's good" is the best any FMV game can aspire to be.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Pit-Fighter on the Mega Drive is a good port of a very mediocre arcade game. I find it fun and know that others do too, but I wouldn't describe it as a 'good game' per se. Mindless cheesy fun is perhaps a better description of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohko16 View Post
    @Mega Drive Bowlsey: no no, the game is actually good seriously, that's how I feel anyway. It's rather technical and plays well. It's also super fun for good and bad reasons

Actually I wonder if the port is not better than the arcade original?
    I think it's a good game as well, both the original arcade and the Genesis port, which is pretty dang faithful. The only thing I can really knock the game for is its poor graphics. It predates the whole 2d fighter boom, so it is unique in that you are on a 3d plane which allows for a completely different strategy than the other fighting games of the era. And there are quite a few moves for each fighter.

Things like the random attacks when you get too close to the crowd, and the items they throw into the ring like weapons and drugs, and heck, all of the random items in general that you can use to assault your opponent (or be assaulted with), make Pit-Fighter such a fun and creative title. There are bonus levels thrown in to mix the format up a little, what's not to like. Some of the characters are really wild looking as well. The game just has tons of personality. Love it.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Surprised no one mentioned Heavy Nova yet.

This game does something unique, something I've personally never seen in another game before. The Opening lies to you.

Seriously, this game tricks you with it's opening taken place in space, fast scrolling around to a giant space ship as meteors slowly past by, creating this in depth atmosphere of something big going on. The hatches open and the music kicks in to reveal this giant, serious, badass looking robot who then takes a step out and shows it's ready to take on anyone. THE MUSIC ENDS ON LOUD EPIC TONE WITH THE TITLE APPEARING, 'HEAVY NOVA!!!'

Start the game and right away you notice the controls are clunky as fuck and the game itself is an overall disappointment.

But that intro man...it's pretty good.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

World Cup Italia 90 springs to mind
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaze16 View Post

This game does something unique, something I've personally never seen in another game before. The Opening lies to you.

Seriously, this game tricks you with it's opening taken place in space, fast scrolling around to a giant space ship as meteors slowly past by, creating this in depth atmosphere of something big going on. The hatches open and the music kicks in to reveal this giant, serious, badass looking robot who then takes a step out and shows it's ready to take on anyone. THE MUSIC ENDS ON LOUD EPIC TONE WITH THE TITLE APPEARING, 'HEAVY NOVA!!!'

Start the game and right away you notice the controls are clunky as fuck and the game itself is an overall disappointment.

it is and I have amazingly not played Heavy Nova yet but that intro would grace any great fighting game

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Does Bubsy count? I constantly see it in lists of worst games, I thought it was fun.
    wut you say bout me

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaze16 View Post

I was actually going to mention this one. It was a lot of fun to show this game to two of my friends who had never heard of it before to play the two player mode.

It's fun to watch people play X-Perts for the first time too, but it's not as lasting and doesn't have the same charm.

I love BTTF trilogy and due to this, Back to the Future Part III The Game has some charm for me... I remember that i can beat this game in 10 minutes or even less, but i still have some fun with it:
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Got a few moew