Quantcast

Thread: My Hero

Master System My Hero

A year after its 1985 arcade debut, Sega released a home port of its beat-'em-up My Hero on the Master System. The home version kept things mostly intact, but there really wasn't that much to preserve. Thin on gameplay and presentation, My Hero fit on a Sega card and probably left a ton of memory to spare. Read our full review for more details.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

I like My Hero (kicking bottles into enemies was a nice touch) for the cheesy factor despite having that music stuck in my head. It's not great or anything, and I wouldn't recommend it to most people in 2018, but I think it's important to remember the context of when it came out. It's a port of a 1985 game in 1986. It was still the norm to see repetitive games that looped back to the beginning. The games that were more advanced than that were usually the exceptions. The one hit deaths were frustrating but that was a design decision that was common at the time.

Sega used variable pricing back then. Card games like this were budget titles. When compared to some of the more simplistic NES games selling for full price in 1986 (Gyromite, Pinball, Urban Champion, Clu Clu Land, Hogan's Alley, etc..), it was a good deal.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 09-07-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Centrale's Avatar

I really don't like this kind of "hit piece" review. The reviewer admits they could barely get anywhere in the game, and that they consider the majority of the SMS North American library to be a "sea of crap." If that's their attitude toward the SMS library, why have this reviewer writing about the SMS? Oh, the game loops? So did most other games in 1985. You're supposed to go for a high score. Other sites might need to resort to this kind of insulting tone for clickbait articles but I'm disappointed to see it here.
    Last edited by Centrale; 09-10-2018 at 06:11 PM.

It weighs in at 556 words.

Reviews should be at least 700 words in length: The main focus of Sega-16 is to provide the most in-depth and comprehensive Genesis reviews on the Internet. Short, two-paragraph reviews will not cut it. Take your time and talk about everything a game has to offer or all that it does wrong. Make people want to read your work; try to hook them in and keep them interested. We donít however, want to bore them, so try to keep it at no more than 1,000 words. 700-1000 words is a decent length with which to say everything you need to about any game, good or bad.
    http://www.sega-16.com/submissions/contribute-articles/

I'll chime in since everybody's commenting on it. I've actually been able to make it to the third stage and I still can't stand this game. I know this game as well as most back in the day Loop but I still found this to be a sorry game that was incredibly frustrating and boring to play and ugly to look at. It's just one of my least favorite games out there and I can't get enjoyment out of it. I also enjoy plenty other games of this style like Vigilante and Kung-Fu. Fun this one is not. also just because I don't like much of the u.s. library doesn't mean I don't appreciate the system. Many of the Imports are quite impressive and a lot of fun to play.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Centrale View Post
    I really don't like this kind of "hit piece" review. The reviewer admits they could barely get anywhere in the game, and that they consider the majority of the SMS North American library to be a "sea of crap." If that's their attitude toward the SMS library, why have this reviewer writing about the SMS? Oh, the game loops? So did most other games in 1985. You're supposed to go for a high score. Other sites might need to resort to this kind of insulting tone for clickbait articles but I'm disappointed to see it here.
    It does bother me that a bunch of the SMS reviews here actually bash the SMS library. I don't want every game to be praised but those blanket statements come off as a lack of appreciation for an already overlooked system, and that's not something I expect from what is overall the best Sega site. If similar comments were being made about the Genesis, I think there would be more backlash.

WCPO Agent

Any game that is feeding the roster of SMS Brawl should deserve a bit more respect: it's a classic!
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Thread Information