Quantcast

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Translating Saturn Grandia

Great work, please keep going!
    I'm looking closer on project, i didn't have much to say as feedback because i just can pray to you finish it =D

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

Grandia HD has been announced for Steam and Switch, along with it's sequel. Do we still need this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeckidy View Post
    Grandia HD has been announced for Steam and Switch, along with it's sequel. Do we still need this?
    That question has a simple answer. Those releases won't allow you to play Grandia in English on your Sega Saturn. This will.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Ban please

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    That question has a simple answer. Those releases won't allow you to play Grandia in English on your Sega Saturn. This will.
    Not only that, who knows what version it's based on. For all we know it might just be a sloppy PS1 upscale.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner avlon's Avatar

Great job Trekkies. I've owned the JP release for the Saturn since release and though I couldn't read it, I just loved the novelty of it. Recently picked up the PS1 version and while it's a decent conversion, I'd prefer to play it on its original console someday.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Not only that, who knows what version it's based on. For all we know it might just be a sloppy PS1 upscale.
    True. I can't play the PS1 version in good spirits because the battle backgrounds are so blurry and ugly. I miss my Saturn and I miss Saturn Grandia. I do hope for sure that if Grandia HD is released, it will be based on the higher res Saturn version. Actually, it might even have all the merits of both (such as transparency in the PS1 version and high-res backgrounds for the Saturn version) rolled into one. I do truly hope that is the case!

BTW, since the Korean translation is mentioned in this thread, I happen to have that version downloaded in ccd/img/sub format, both discs. The work is attributed to a Korean hacker named CyZero. Has anyone gotten around to making a patch for the Korean translation and submitting it to Romhacking.net, for those of us who can in fact read Korean (I myself know a bit)? We should also mention the hacker's name and give him credit for it, regardless of wherever he is now.

Too bloody right we do. The Saturn version is the best version of the game for the GFX sound and even FMV. Its pretty tragic that we haven't been able to play the Saturn versions of the Lunar games and Grandia in English.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Moirai View Post
    Ban please
    x2

These are the details for the upcoming Switch version:

Enhanced details to UI, sprites, and texture art. 2x to 4x upscaling
    Original cinematic videos receiving visual enhancements
    Widescreen support and customizable resolutions for PC
    Addition of MSAA, bloom, normal mapping, and blur effects
    Steam cards and Achievements
    Japanese Audio and Subtitles, English Audio and Subtitles
    Language Support: English & Japanese
    Digitally converted game manual
    Utilizing PS1 & Sega Saturn source code
    Gamepad and keyboard support with remappable controls (this is likely for the PC version as far as keyboard goes)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

So are we going to have Sega-16 members do the voice acting for this version and then get an unbiased third party to compare it to the voice acting in the officially released PS1 version to see which one is better?

These are the details for the upcoming Switch version:

Enhanced details to UI, sprites, and texture art. 2x to 4x upscaling
    Original cinematic videos receiving visual enhancements
    Widescreen support and customizable resolutions for PC
    Addition of MSAA, bloom, normal mapping, and blur effects
    Steam cards and Achievements
    Japanese Audio and Subtitles, English Audio and Subtitles
    Language Support: English & Japanese
    Digitally converted game manual
    Utilizing PS1 & Sega Saturn source code
    Gamepad and keyboard support with remappable controls (this is likely for the PC version as far as keyboard goes)
    That sounds good, may have to keep hold of the Switch then. I loved how the original Saturn version used the VDP 2 to mimic the likes of Bloom lighting; It's primitive now, but looked quite stunning back inthe day and one of the many reasons why the Saturn version was so much better
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    That sounds good, may have to keep hold of the Switch then. I loved how the original Saturn version used the VDP 2 to mimic the likes of Bloom lighting; It's primitive now, but looked quite stunning back inthe day and one of the many reasons why the Saturn version was so much better
    My hope is that the Switch compilation of Grandia I + II remastered will be physical and not just digital. I am already interested in getting a Switch for this game and others, as I don't have many consoles left to play, and I've decided to avoid digital purchases from now on whenever possible.

BTW, I know people feel that it was rude of me to mention this while work is underway for the Saturn translation, but I just wanted to spare people the trouble if they were fine with that, since, theoretically, if they are using assets from the PS1 and SS versions, we really might be getting something infinitely better than what could be offered through this project, just as I speculated! My only concern then is more in regards to the Japanese/English options. Will the Japanese voices be paired with a translation based on the original script or just the Japanese voices alongside the text of the English dub? Still, I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm here to see the Saturn original translated, nonetheless.

The remaster of Grandia II which will be paired with the original will offer similar features, but I'm not sure how different it'll be to the Anniversary version which is currently on Steam.

There is room for both imo. The Saturn die hards will always much rather play the Saturn version in English, but it be lovely for more and more people to play the Switch version in English and see how good the Saturn and DC versions really were (if the ports are based on Saturn and DC source code).
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 11-08-2018 at 03:44 PM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    exactly. I hate the ps1 version. it's dub is also terrible.

Thread Information